SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Aeromodeller plan scans

Hi,

Moving to the April 1953 issue of AEROMODELLER.

The front cover photo features one of the best known names in the hobby and his wife.. It is a young Walter Mooney, or as he is best known now, Walt Mooney designer of countless Peanut plans . Both are posing in front of the HONEY BEE with Walt’s scale model in front. Walt also had a hand in the construction of the 28ft full size Honey Bee.

For fans of scale free flight the first plan is for the HONEY BEE and it is to exact scale with 33 wingspan and for.5cc power.
Walt offers useful advice on trimming.

Next was very good looking Class “A” Team racer. It was the PACEMAKER by S.. Rymill complete with wheel cowls and gull shaped wing,

Vis Smeed makes yet another welcome appearance in the pages of AEROMODELLER with his latest design the ELECTRA. It’s not a for free flight but for simple radio control.
If you look at the plan you can see it has the familiar lines of a Vic Smeed design and it's aimed at the radio tyro.

Another well known name from that period and years to come is Ian Dowsett then still serving in the R.A.F. His ARROW 50&100 is a quickie for JETEX POWER. You get full size plans plus the construction article.

Although a simple model to construct it had already racked up wins in a number of championships.

Finally to AEROPLANES IN OUTLINE by G.Cull and full details are given on the ill fated D.H. 106 COMET together with scale drawings.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Sep 19, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:08 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
Are there any good plans for a Pitts biplane out there? I found the micro Pitts plans here, but am hoping there is something a little larger out there that can be downloaded.
What wingspan are you looking for?
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:20 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
What wingspan are you looking for?
Something 18" wingspan or larger. Ideal for me would be a 24" wingspan, but would be happy to find just about any Pitts plan. It would be nice if it included drawings for a built up cowl, but not essential.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Wasn't made in high volume
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%...e/stearman.htm
Only 10 Series Six biplanes were produced in 1930-'31. Four of these went to the fledgling Army Air Corps that was still looking for suitable replacements for their ancient Jennys and early PT series. The military had a delicious approach to selecting airplanes in those days: They would buy a half dozen each of several different airplanes, fly them and place production orders for the one they liked. The service test designation was Y, so the Series Six Stearmans became YPT-9s.

Nice concise history there. I fly the one pictured present day. Hands down nicer to fly than a PT series Stearman. Much better roll rate.

Ever seen a plan?
Clay Hammond is offline Find More Posts by Clay Hammond
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:20 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Clay;
There's a 1927 C-3B Sport Commercial plan on this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=758
Stearman designed a great basic product, then tailored for the customer's needs.
Looks like the tail got a new shape, more powerful motor.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Last edited by rick.benjamin; Sep 19, 2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: add link to post 758
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:21 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Gee, I just had a PM asking me to designate the plan page and maybe full size pattern pages on my multi-page uploads. So, of course, at least for this batch, I've finished the multi-page, and only have single page files left.
Have to try to remember on the next files I upload.
Oh, yah. Something kind of strange to me has kind of repeated. All my PDFs used to be Adobe, since all the ones I had were downloaded rom various and sundry sites. When I downloaded Nitro so I could convert my JPEGS to PDF, I downloaded NITRO reader. After I did this, I noticed almost all my stored PDFs were changed to NITRO banner. Friday, I updated my Adobe. Now, it looks like all my saved PDFs are now wearing the ADOBE banner.
Tonight I'll start with a CL for Navy Carrier Cl I The Bell XFL-1, an attempt to fit the P-39/P-63 for Carrier use. Flop.
An .020 Pee Wee powered FF Scale DH-4. With 42" span, maybe a 380 or 400 sized motor or brushless equivalent for RC?
Flutterhawk. Interesting rubber sport job.
I think P 4 for a Stahl Globe Swift I uploaded some time ago, but forgot P-4 of the article.
Klutz Bug, an RC Trainer-Sport from MAN. Plans show a flat bottom airfoil, but when I built one from the original plan, I used a surviving wing from an old Midwest that had a 2412 airfoil and barn door ailerons. With a Fox wart .45 RC, it was the plane I learned inverted flight on.
WAG Pylon Racer. Used a Good designed pulse proportional for rudder and elevator, and a Bonner escapement for engine shut-of. Pylon racing with no ailerons, and .15 to .19.
Yellow Kid, a cute sport RC model. Plan calls out a .19 to .30. Based on the power output of my old Max .30s, I'd guess that one of today's hot Schnurle .25s woiuld be more than enough power.
Well that's it for at least a few days. Got some misc files to check out and upload.
Sleep time now. Flew an FAC contest today, then spent a couple hours at the club RC field. 36 FF and RC flights, pedometer claims I've walked 14,500+ steps, or just under 7 miles, large part cross country. My body is beat, especially my feet (and shoulder/elbow). At almost 68, I probably shouldn't be flying HLG, no matter how much fun it is.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined May 2010
66 Posts
sv 18 from its own country

Quote:
Originally Posted by argat1 View Post
Oh, sorry!

I thought you meant the other drawing. Let's see if Marek has it. Thanks anyway, WMD!

Ar.
from the original Italian magazine Modellismo oct. 1947
not too many information on the plan as usual for that period.
Silverio Valentinsig from Fiume is the author.
construction notes for free-flight:

engine 3,5 cc diesel 3-blade prop

wing airfoil Gottingen 497- wing incidence + 1,5

stab airfoil simmetrical- incidence 0. stab construction as wing. upper part of rudder/stab is detachable with bayonet and retained by internal rubber bands, see the hook in rudder bottom.

sponsoon airfoil semisimmetrical, 1/16 balsa rib and 1/16 balsa entire cover sheet. Incidence: firstly determine waterline with model immersed in water, than fix permanently sponsoon on fuselage at angle showed on the plan.

wing rib 1/16 balsa, 1/16 plywood for the first 3 rib that hold 1/16 aluminium baionet. wing front sheet 1 mm balsa. leading edge 1/8 hardwood dowell. trailing edge triangular 3x15mm balsa. wing contour 1/16 plywood. wing spar C/section hardwood 15mmx3mm.

fuselage formers 1/8 balsa, formers n 5,6,7,8,9 1/8 plywood. inclined formers 6,7 extend on fin and motor nacelle. fin leading and trailing edge 2mm plywood.firewall nacelle former 2mm plywood. center fuselage has a 1/8 balsa sheet from front to end, slot in every former. Hull bottom 0,8mm plywood, upper fuselage hardwood 2x4 mm string on formers. fuselage 4 main stringer of 3x5mm hardwood.

I hope rc/chopper or pd1 can give us a full size clean plan

regards Pit
p.balsi is offline Find More Posts by p.balsi
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Seven Hills
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Frog tyro?

Has anyone kept a copy of the Frog Tyro - a C/L profile trainer for 1cc engines?

Regards,
John
ozejohn is offline Find More Posts by ozejohn
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:20 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
792 Posts
[QUOTE=Oh, yah. Something kind of strange to me has kind of repeated. All my PDFs used to be Adobe, since all the ones I had were downloaded rom various and sundry sites. When I downloaded Nitro so I could convert my JPEGS to PDF, I downloaded NITRO reader. After I did this, I noticed almost all my stored PDFs were changed to NITRO banner. Friday, I updated my Adobe. Now, it looks like all my saved PDFs are now wearing the ADOBE banner.

programs deliberately designed to do that when installed, - they look for all formats that the program can handle and change the default open instruction to the new program - sometimes useful sometimes not

part of maarketing ploy
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.balsi View Post
from the original Italian magazine Modellismo oct. 1947
not too many information on the plan as usual for that period.
Silverio Valentinsig from Fiume is the author.
construction notes for free-flight:

engine 3,5 cc diesel 3-blade prop

wing airfoil Gottingen 497- wing incidence + 1,5

stab airfoil simmetrical- incidence 0. stab construction as wing. upper part of rudder/stab is detachable with bayonet and retained by internal rubber bands, see the hook in rudder bottom.

sponsoon airfoil semisimmetrical, 1/16 balsa rib and 1/16 balsa entire cover sheet. Incidence: firstly determine waterline with model immersed in water, than fix permanently sponsoon on fuselage at angle showed on the plan.

wing rib 1/16 balsa, 1/16 plywood for the first 3 rib that hold 1/16 aluminium baionet. wing front sheet 1 mm balsa. leading edge 1/8 hardwood dowell. trailing edge triangular 3x15mm balsa. wing contour 1/16 plywood. wing spar C/section hardwood 15mmx3mm.

fuselage formers 1/8 balsa, formers n 5,6,7,8,9 1/8 plywood. inclined formers 6,7 extend on fin and motor nacelle. fin leading and trailing edge 2mm plywood.firewall nacelle former 2mm plywood. center fuselage has a 1/8 balsa sheet from front to end, slot in every former. Hull bottom 0,8mm plywood, upper fuselage hardwood 2x4 mm string on formers. fuselage 4 main stringer of 3x5mm hardwood.

regards Pit
Awesome, Pit!

Thanks!

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:13 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.balsi View Post

regards Pit
Cleaned and resized. The drawing is almost 42" wide!
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:26 AM
Australia, NSW, Ashby
Joined Jul 2011
219 Posts
Thanks Gene the flying boat is definitely on the list but the list is so damn long!!!
First cab off the rank for me will be the Waterman Arrowbile, then i will look at the list again. I just hope work is very understanding
brace is offline Find More Posts by brace
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argat1 View Post
Hi Marek and WMD,

Any chance of having the SV-18 scanned in a larger (300dpi) format?

Thanks!

Ar
Hi ,
rchopper65 added suitable quality I hope.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5951
marecisko is offline Find More Posts by marecisko
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
150 Posts
Sv-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
Cleaned and resized. The drawing is almost 42" wide!
Gene
Thank you so much, Gene!

Ar.
argat1 is offline Find More Posts by argat1
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:18 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Westerner

Weathers Westerner from MAN 1938
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ