SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Stinson Trimotor MANS 1949

I'll just go ahead and post it raw uncleaned and assembled and unscaled

Kenny e
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
Last edited by kenny e; May 13, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 07:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
Have to look at planemans original post to appreciate what you have done. planemans was from a low res copy he did a great job in enlargeing it. It was a November 1956 Model Aircraft plan and I have posted a PDF of the instructions.
the three small jps show the difference. All are greatly reduced as the plans are already posted.
Colonial skimmer 168K your clean copy
Colonial skimmer plan 298k is scanned from the magazine. The background is not as obtrusive
Colonial skimmer 1956 200k is planemans scan and background is pretty gross.
So just how long did it take???????????????

Planemans original post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2517

a few posts later rcchopper 56 described a different way of cleaning up the plan and posted a cleaner copy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2520
Thanks for you kind comments, I've been going through the interactive video from Adobe on using the CS3 and it looks like I've still got a lot to learn!
To do the clean up on the Skimmer took the best part of 4 or 5 hours, maybe a bit longer.
It's the sort of thing that once started soon becomes addictive and you get lost in the process.
My wife called me to come to bed at after 3 am on one session.
Got to build one having put so much time into the plan!
I think I could almost build it without the plan I've spent so much time looking at it.
Cheers John
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old May 13, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
150 Posts
Thanks for Posting The Stinson Plan

kenny e,

Thanks for posting the Stinson plan.

MM
Model Mad is offline Find More Posts by Model Mad
Old May 13, 2011, 01:16 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e View Post
I'll just go ahead and post it raw uncleaned and assembled and unscaled

Kenny e
WOOO HOOOO! I LOVE this thread.... Thank you SOOO much!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 13, 2011, 01:16 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Well, another day, another bunch of plans to upload. That Stinson Model U looks like the plan I have, but in much better shape.
I flew a Rabbler in SAM OT some years ago. Decent climb, even with a Max .30. Pretty decent glide.
I remember reading some comments about Garami designs. Apparently he had a rep of being able to freehand cut patches from sheet balsa, curve and glue them into a decent monocoque fuselage in the air, without jigs. Just water on the outside of the curves, an dope on the inside.
I actually have an old kit for the Strato-Streak, plans show an ARDEN .09. In today's world, probably unsafe to use anything over .049.
I love to see build articles on the Golderg Valkyrie. Gorgeous streamliner, 10' elliptical wing, all ribs built up from strip, same as the spars. Fuselage is a round planked form. A craftsman's challenge. I've heard of a number of them being built by teams.
Amaxing how while many of these pre-war planes were rather bulky, almost scale like, others were quite modern looking. Nearly all adapt well to 3 channel RC with very little structural modification, and are capable of very long gliding flight. I used to get flights near an hour, with usually less than an ounce of glow fuel. With the ability to shut off an electric motor,who can say how long these can be kept airborne on a single flight?
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Last edited by 50+AirYears; May 13, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,577 Posts
??????????
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Last edited by bullseye000; Feb 06, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Nice posts

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old May 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Well, another day, another bunch of plans to upload.
Nice to see the big Lancer plan turn up on here. Any chance of you posting the 2nd part? We'll be needing some wings to go with that fabulous fuselage.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old May 13, 2011, 02:55 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
518 Posts
Stinson Trimotor, June 1949 MAN

Here's my rendition of kenny e's posted images, combined.

It was complicated by all three plan pages being originally printed at different scales and being drawn separately instead of cutting up a single drawing. I picked the page with the fuselage front side view as the standard (the wheel is almost correct), reduced the fuselage rear page to 91.7%, and enlarged the top view & wing page (except for the "Full Size" sections) to x1.94. Even at that, things don't agree exactly - note, for instance, at the page demarcation line on the side view, the window band is badly out of line. Rather than massage it, I left the demarcation line in as a warning. Before cutting formers or ribs, check the fit on the top, side, & wing views .

I also added the final couple of text paragraphs from page 47, not included in the earlier scans.

You might want to compare with Wylam's drawings, also included.

-Dave Plumpe
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old May 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Stinson Trimotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlumpe View Post
Here's my rendition of kenny e's posted images, combined.

It was complicated by all three plan pages being originally printed at different scales and being drawn separately instead of cutting up a single drawing. I picked the page with the fuselage front side view as the standard (the wheel is almost correct), reduced the fuselage rear page to 91.7%, and enlarged the top view & wing page (except for the "Full Size" sections) to x1.94. Even at that, things don't agree exactly - note, for instance, at the page demarcation line on the side view, the window band is badly out of line. Rather than massage it, I left the demarcation line in as a warning. Before cutting formers or ribs, check the fit on the top, side, & wing views .

I also added the final couple of text paragraphs from page 47, not included in the earlier scans.

You might want to compare with Wylam's drawings, also included.

-Dave Plumpe
Thx. Dave you the man
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
Old May 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Noe for a start on another group of old time free flight models.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Afraid I don't have a wing plan for the Lancer. At least, not with me. I also had an interruption, lost 14 planes. Luckily, I'm trying to keep track.

This uploading is almost fun. During the wait to upload these, I finished Kieth Laumer's Infinite Cage. I get between 1/2 to 1 1/2 page read during each upload.

About the plan listed Wingpage 2, I just noticed that it is a 2nd page part of a 2 page plan, possibly from a 1950's Air Trails. I think I have already, or am going to, upload something similar under a name something like Brogganni's Best Wing, IIRC, that is.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
After this bunch, I think I'll call it a day and play a little bit with my 3 3/4 yr old Granddaughter. Maybe give my fingers a break.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
All the models below were from Aeromodeller October 1946.

There was no Plans Service then and plans were reproduced 1/4 , 1/3 or 1/2 size with some parts drawn full size. Modellers in those days were expected to be able to redraft the drawings full size. Some plans were reproduced full size
the Athene being an example. Naturally all are now full size.
Athene 19" span Twin rubber motors concept civil passenger aircrat by Ray Malmstrom

Elmer Mk VIb 20" span rubber free flight

Mercury 60" span tow line glider

Streamliner 13" span Hand Launched Glider

For a Bio of Ray
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Malmstrom-Ray.pdf
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; May 13, 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add all full size
Old May 13, 2011, 06:29 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Actually, scaling up from an 8 1/2 X 11" page was kind of fun. I have built a number of CL, FF, and RC planes that way. The fun one was plotting a set of 8 ribs for a SAM RC assist antique using the unchamber of an RAF-32 and the upper chamber of a Clark Y airfoil. Luckily, I had a Scientific calculator so I could multiply the ordinates by each wing chord using the constant function. Much better than using a slide rule. The Rambler, which I have submitted both the original and an RC version, gave a full size rib pattern, and each rib in the semi-elliptical tips were fitted by trimming the front and back tolength from the spar, then sanding the airfoil to fit.