SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2011, 03:10 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Hi flech03

Welcome aboard
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
UK, Forest of Dean, Westbury-on-Severn
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
HJ Towner design 13" wingspan peanut Beaufighter. I have the Towner Hudson plan too, but may not be able to process it for a few days.
bjrn is offline Find More Posts by bjrn
Old May 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,477 Posts
Now I really feel old. A peaunt plan is considered"vintage"? IIRC, I first became aware of the peanut craze back in the late 60's.

I always liked the Beaufighter. A certain pugnatious charm its contemoraries lack. Thanks for the plan. I'm still hurt by your obvious distain for my advanced condition...
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old May 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
This is a great thread - my question would be - do you guys providing these plans collect these old kits and magazines? If so, what are your sources?
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old May 12, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Been Collecting Model Airplane News Magazines for A little while now recently picked up about 100 issues from the 60's in nice shape for a buck apiece off the Flea Bay site
Last edited by kenny e; May 12, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
I saw that someone had asked about cleaning up the older plans and getting rid of some of the busy backgrounds. You see these especially in the early UK Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft.
It can of course be done, but boy it takes some time!
I'm self taught on CS3 so I'm probably not making the best use of all the tools at your disposal in that program and I also use the Microsoft Office image manager editing tools that have some features that CS3 doesn't have, or at least I haven't found them!
Anyway, here is a much cleaned up copy of the Aeromodeller Colonial Skimmer. It's taken more than a few hours to do, wish I could get paid for doing this sort of stuff, I sort of enjoy it
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old May 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
L@@ks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
I saw that someone had asked about cleaning up the older plans and getting rid of some of the busy backgrounds. You see these especially in the early UK Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft.
I'm self taught on CS3 so I'm probably not making the best use of all the tools at your disposal in that program and I also use the Microsoft Office image manager editing tools that have some features that CS3 doesn't have, or at least I haven't found them!
Anyway, here is a much cleaned up copy of the Aeromodeller Colonial Skimmer. It's taken more than a few hours to do, wish I could get paid for doing this sort of stuff, I sort of enjoy it
Beautiful work
Old May 12, 2011, 01:39 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Diminutive Vagagbonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
The CO2 version was 'The Littlest Vagabond Of All' of 22.5" w/s and was the free plan in the Nov 1988 Aeromoggeller. I have it somewhere and if I get the chance I'll scan & post it - but it won't be for a few days yet!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e View Post
That would be super Colonel Blink thanks. Kenny
Found the plan, and I've scanned it at work where the copier will do A3 scans. However settings are fixed, and being a network copier/scanner I can't alter (or even find!) any of the settings. Hence the following may be unusable - if so, let me know and I'll scan in A4 sections at home this weekend.

Not being GIMP or Photoshop literate, I'm afraid someone else will need to do the stitching....

Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old May 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Thought I'd take a stab at the stitching. This is a two page file, "The Littlest Vagabond of all" by Tony Brooks. The text has been OCR'd so there could be some errors.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old May 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I think the first model airplane mag I bought was around 1949 or 50. Probably an Air Trails. I doubt I still have it. Over the years I've managed to get quite a collection of various model magazines. Regretebly, I never had the proper facilities to store them, so many have fallen into soft powder, or been shredded for mouse nests. I have also received contributions of old magazines over the years, most notably a collection of almost 100 mags from about 1939 to the early 50s, from which a number of my contributions have come. Sorrowfully, many of them no longer exist. Even many I have on hand right now are almost so fa gone, I'm almost afraid to touch them. During the scanning process, they were leaving paper flakes on the scanner bed. Pages were tearing off while I was trying to align them. I actually started trying to save paper copies of the various plans and articles in the late 70's, early 80's, but until I gained access to copiers and then scanners at work, it got expensive and bulky. I think I already mentioned that a couple years ago, I had to pitch at least 5 or 6 garbage bags of paper copies to the recycling center, along with many older magazines.

I hope that the people currently trying to archive these materials don't make a common mistake, such as NASA did, and fail to transfer the stored items to newer storage media as it becomes available. A lot of data from the early space program was lost because the storage was never updated, and had to be reinvented along the way to the moon and the International Space Station. I was involved in a similar upgrading myself where I worked, and had to do it on my own. We had many legacy products still in production and daily use, and I took it upon myself to transfer data and software/hardware disigns from older8" and 5.25" floppies to 3.5 and network media. The 8" wasn't too hard, but the 5.25" discs were something else. After about 8 to 10 years, the surface coating over the ferrous oxides sublimated, exposing red/write heads to abrasion. We wrecked 22 5.25 drives to transfer data from 60 some discs, but we saved everything. A couple years later, we needed some of that data in a couple patent defense cases. Naturally, the Co-op who I got to finish for me got the credit, not me.

Anyway, I think I'll pick up where I left off yesterday.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old May 12, 2011, 05:07 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
more on cleaning up plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
Have to look at planemans original post to appreciate what you have done. planemans was from a low res copy he did a great job in enlargeing it. It was a November 1956 Model Aircraft plan and I have posted a PDF of the instructions.
the three small jps show the difference. All are greatly reduced as the plans are already posted.
Colonial skimmer 168K your clean copy
Colonial skimmer plan 298k is scanned from the magazine. The background is not as obtrusive
Colonial skimmer 1956 200k is planemans scan and background is pretty gross.
So just how long did it take???????????????

Planemans original post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2517

a few posts later rcchopper 56 described a different way of cleaning up the plan and posted a cleaner copy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2520
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; May 12, 2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old May 12, 2011, 05:56 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,631 Posts
Looking for June 1949 Model Airplane News Stinson Model U Trimotor

I just saw a photo of the "bones" of a Stinson Model U Trimotor in the latest issue of Flying Models Magazine. The plan is reported to have come from the June 1949 issue of Model Airplane News. Construction is stringer and bulkhead with tissue covering.

I have only seen the Wylam drawings and a peanut plan from Model Builder for the Stinson Model U. Would love to see the M.A.N. plan if anyone has that issue.

Thanx,

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I think I will eventually be uploading a rubber powered Stinson Trimotor. Going to be a while, though, I'm trying to go through my files in some kind of order, and it will be in my category "Pree 1950 Scale under rubber power. I was trying for a while to jump around a bit, but it started getting a little too confusing, keeping track of what's been uploaded. Here's a few more to get me closer to that day. I don't have any of the rubber powered files with me at my son's house.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
I guess 24 to 30 pages to a post is enough to avoid too much confusion. Hope I get to see some photos of planes built from these plans. Hope I get to build a few myself, at least a few more than I already have built.