SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:10 PM
LHS Life Support System
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2011
53 Posts
How about a compromise? I'm still searching for an RC version of a Grumman Goose. So how about a flying boat? Anyone have something with a WS of approximately 60-70 inches?
dmontbans is offline Find More Posts by dmontbans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 10:56 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Kookaburra

74" Flying Boat on post # 193, it's on my summer to-build list!
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old May 03, 2011, 11:59 PM
LHS Life Support System
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2011
53 Posts
I've looked at that one and it's nice. Holding out for a Goose. I have a great Albatross plan but just prefer the Goose.
dmontbans is offline Find More Posts by dmontbans
Old May 04, 2011, 12:05 AM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Are you going to post the great Albatross plan ???
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old May 04, 2011, 03:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny e View Post
The Boats are really COOL
So start a Vintage Boat plan thread for heavens sake and leave this as is, there are 240 odd pages and not so much as a hint of a boat without wings and now it's suddenly a good idea.
What is so hard about starting a new topic and leaving this one as is with flying devices only.
The trouble with public forums is someone always wants to change stuff and don't always have the smarts to do it with any kind of courtesy or consideration for others or properly thinking it through.

Come on, how hard is it to start a new thread?

Vintage and Old-Timer Boat plans
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old May 04, 2011, 04:05 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,023 Posts
Hmmm! Vintage and Old-Timer Boat plans. Well then maybe we should have this thread re-named Vintage and Old-Timer Plane plans. I believe the idea of this thread was to share designs. My goal here is to archive these designs and to share with others, so they are not lost in obscurity, nameless and forgotten. Personally, I love looking at the art. All of these designs be it plane, boat, motor, etc. have a style all there own and are a reflection of the designer and his or her style. Regardless of the design, if it is worth saving, it needs to be saved.

If the boat guys don't seem to be interested in there past then I believe the view count will determine the validity of inclusion in this project.

So far, the only draw back I can see is again, would be the plans index.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old May 04, 2011, 04:46 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Good morning Starcad,

Although the original poster for this thread did not specify plane only plans, we can go back and look at what he contributed originally and see that it was only pre 1960 plane designs. It can also be noted that he started the thread in the airplane forum. I do applaud your desire to archive the designs of these other craft, they are obviously worth saving. This thread is exploding in view counts and plan contributions and, if it is not already, will soon be the most viewed and most active thread on all of RCgroups. I believe this thread can be a template for other plan repository threads but still believe that by trying to include plans for anything pre 1960 here will make locating and organizing plans more difficult.

I would encourage you to start a boat plan thread in the boat forums. There is already a vintage engine thread and it has over 16,000 views in only 57 days. It just seems odd to me to have old timer boat plans located in a thread under RC Groups > Aircraft - Exotic and Special Interest > Vintage & Old-Timer Designs

Respectfully,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 04, 2011, 04:55 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
652 Posts
I'll risk the scorn of posting a boat design one more time. The Monitor and Merrimac by Walter Musciano and to further muddy the waters, The Battle of Hampton Roads also by Walter Musciano. Both articles were published in Jr. American Modeler late 1972.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Last edited by rchopper56; May 06, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Removed to keep the peace.
Old May 04, 2011, 05:34 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Additionally, the inclusion of boats, cars, motors, etc., will make the plan index much more challenging to maintain, and having started and maintained it for many months I can tell you it is hard enough to maintain now. I love old boats and cars too but lets not make this thread unusable by being all things to all people.

Wayne
Hmmmm perhaps the voice of reason.
Problem is the vintage boat plan thread exists.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post17863471
Just two contributiors +planeman who started it.

The original request was for Tugboat Annie and within a short space of time the request was answered chances are it would have been ignored if posted anywhere on the boat forum.
I have original purchased plans 99.9%that I will never build and if I include all those I have downloaded that drops to 99.99%, but that does not stop me dreaming and enjoying looking at them.
Perhaps the solution would be to not post mixed plans, but to head any other than aircraft plans with the subject matter. A separate index could then be maintained. I would be willing to do this.
Roger
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old May 04, 2011, 06:10 AM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
To Boat or Not to Boat - that is the question

Good Day All,

I had some down-time while on vacation so I thought I would chime in a bit concerning the topic of date: Boats or no Boats.

But first - a HUGE thanks to my new e-mail friend 30560 - for his great help in giving me a break from the plan index while I have family visiting. Thank you my friend

dmontban - I too would like to see a Grumman Goose - it would fit in nicely with my WWII file of aircraft that is growing.

Now - my own thoughts on the Boat issue. MANY good points have been made by all concerned. Windependence has a very strong point that having boats in this particular thread is a bit odd since it's location is in an airplane section of RC Group (see his post above)... So no one actually looking for boat, engine, train or anything else is going to find them here.
That being said - my own opinion is that Orange&White has started this thread and the final decision should be his to make (yes, we have all adopted this thread as our own since there has been such a big effort by everyone here) but Scott's decision should count rather highly since he was the brainchild of this fine thread.
Windependence has also stated a rather good point with regards to the plan index itself. It is not an easy task to maintain. There is a large amount of time and effort in keeping the index user friendly and up to date. The folks helping and participating in the past, present and future could color code the odd-ball stuff coming in but it's an extra step that is just that, much more time consuming.
I wonder if you folks might consider: IF Orange&White decides on allowing boat plans - might they be only those found in the flying magazines (I give you the example of the chair plan on the index that actually came from a flying model magazine).

To everyone who loves boats (I am included in this group): We are asking anyone who is responsible for the index to take on a HUGE headache and opening up a big can of worms. When word gets out that boat plans are on here (which will happen) there is going to be a large upload of plans... then will come other fun, and wanted plans for engines, trains, houses etc.. All would be welcome I'm sure but also turn this thread into a mish-mash of all things that have a vintage plan.
Personally I therefore would so no to the boats (except those already uploaded and those found in the flying magazines).
I feel bad that folks like Planeman have made a big effort to start a similar thread in a boat thread, but this is I feel, going to really muddy up the waters here on this thread that is in fact an airplane thread - even though it is named "vintage plans" it's location by default makes it a thread for aircraft... not boats.

This of course is my own opinion of the matter and I do honestly respect those views that do not coincide with my own.
Respectfully your plan-index guy on vacation.
Swankee

P.S. - aeromedeller - I thank you for taking on the task but having more than one person working on two separate plan indexes would be rather confusing - I personally would not know the difference by name alone if the upload was a boat or plane and would open it to find out (I'm almost positive people would forget to put a boat header on their post)... therefore since I'm already spending time on it, I might has well mark it as a boat... No disrespect but I think it could make things difficult as I explained of course AFTER you had already posted.
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Last edited by Swankee; May 04, 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: add on for Aeromedeller's post
Old May 04, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Count me among those who think this thread should stay away from boats.
Since interest in them seems strong here, perhaps start a separate thread here instead of the Boats section? Just tossing the idea out there.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Old May 04, 2011, 07:38 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,217 Posts
A bit odd, interest seems to be strong in this thread but not so muh in the Boat section. A lot of pilots seem to want to be skippers or captians

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 04, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
C'Mon Guys get a grip!!

Guys this whole boat Vs plane (and now I read Car, Tain etc...) is now getting out of hand, plainly this thread is in the aircraft section and was started to deal with Vintage and Oldtimer plans under an aircraft heading and a vast amount of the plans contained in the thread are of such an age as to not infringe on copy right laws/intellectual onwership rights etc... but I see that on page 244 Aeromedeller has a plan titled Bluebird of Chelsea and as stated this plan came from Model Boats Magazine in the late 80's and the sale rights are still owned by that magazine via it's plan outlet "My Hobby Store".

I've got nothing against model boat plans as I've got a cupboard full of them in my workshop downstairs awaiting my retirement so I can buld them.

I advise that you all need to think carefully before you open the floodgates to all types of so called Vintage plans as the above mentioned plan is definatley not "vintage" (Circa 1989) and If "Model Boats Magazine" or "My Hobby Store" in the UK was to see their wears being given away in such a manner I would not blame them for them requesting RC Groups to close this thread down???

Do you really want to see this happen ????

What some of you are doing is basically theft, consider those that have royalties or own the rights to these plans that you are doing out of income etc... this is exactly the same as people illegally downloading music and movies over the web without paying for them.

Keep up the good work re Vintage and Oldtimer Aircraft plans

Kind Regards
Maximuss Actual
Sydney Australia
Maximuss Actual is offline Find More Posts by Maximuss Actual
Old May 04, 2011, 08:28 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,217 Posts
This page has had more views than the entire boat section!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 04, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
C,Mon Guys get a grip (again)

Does not make it right just because page 244 got more hits than the entire boat section. The only reason it got more hits was that plenty of plane guys would be sifting through the various attachments loking for plane plans and would have opened the few boat plans thinking they were planes and then closed them again and moved on.

I can appreciate that the boat section is not getting many hits but when the original thread started for Vintage and Oldtimer plans I'm sure it got bugger all hits in it's first few months as well but word of mouth and good publicity took over and it became successful etc...

What needs to happen is tha tmore boat stuff needs to be added under the RC Groups Boat heading and then all you boat and ship devotees need to get onto the many other various RC Boat, Yacht and Ship forumns around the planet and tell everyone about your link. So extract digit from date and get working to create something really great for yourselves and stop acting like a parasite (meant in the true sense of the word and not as a derogative statement( in the Plane section.

Kind Regards
Maximus Actual
Sydney Australia
Maximuss Actual is offline Find More Posts by Maximuss Actual