SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2005
150 Posts
Apologies For The False Alarm

Planeman,

Quote:
"You mention needing "a code to open" the .PDF file for the "Matador". As I don't have the code I probably never opened it and can't open it. I sure wish you guys wouldn't lock your files with opening codes. Especially of you post them here."
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I had to go through many files trying to find the Mercury Matador that I thought I had. It turned out to be a Mercury Magna. Same fuselage but a different outline for the flying surfaces, and probably a different sized model. The good news is that the file does not need a code to open.

As for the codes needed to open certain pdf files, you have provided those, but there is one set of worthwhile drawings that I don't have the code for. So maybe I will contact you through a PM to request that from you.

Regards

Sam
Model Mad is offline Find More Posts by Model Mad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:04 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Possible "code-free" PDF files, if one does them from "pdfFactory"...!

Dear Fellow Old-Timer Lovers:

The PIPE Here again - with all the talk of "coded" PDF files not being able to be opened at all, has anyone considered another way of making PDF files that would NEVER have a sort of "code" to open them...

...like FinePrint's "pdfFactory" software as a possible solution?

Its website is at http://www.fineprint.com/products/pdffactory/index.html , and it IS freely downloadable for a trial...a US $50.00 cost is what I had to pay to register my copy some time ago, and it can, apparently, create a complete PDF file from almost any Windows XP application.

FinePrint's "pdfFactory" operates as a printer driver would in Windows' "Printers and Faxes" window...it appears, after installation, as "just another printer", and using it is like the "printing to a file" output option is used for, in a number of Windows apps.

I'm just mentioning it, as I've got it on my system, and it SEEMS to work just fine...at least one AMA District VP is reported as also using it, so it COULD be a possible solution to creating "code-free" PDF files in the future, as a response to "coded PDF" files not being openable.

Just my two cents on the issue that's apparently come up with PDF-file-format plans, that's all...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2005
150 Posts
Coding Pdf Files

The Pipe,

Quote:
The PIPE Here again - with all the talk of "coded" PDF files not being able to be opened at all, has anyone considered another way of making PDF files that would NEVER have a sort of "code" to open them...
Just a small correction here. Coding is not necessary when creating Pdf files. In reality it is the exception. We (the readers/ users) of these files are not the ones who are coding them. Pdf files are sometimes coded by their original creators who might share their security code with the rest of the users of the files or they might not. It is their choice after all.

What we are discussing here is, how to go about opening a multi-drawing coded pdf file when one wants just one drawing from that file and might not have the coding to it. I have heard that this can be done, but I have not done it myself or know how to. Any input here will be greatly appreciated.

We are only doing that because AutoCAD (unlike TurboCAD) does not accept the insertion of a pdf formatted file, so one has to change the Pdf format to some other format that AutoCAD would accept and that is where coding of the Pdf file becomes a hindrance as it wont allow one to do this step.

MM
Model Mad is offline Find More Posts by Model Mad
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:56 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I am not sure what you guys are reffering to when talking about the coding issue, however, the only problem I am finding is that there are many of the posted PDF files on this thread that are not full size. Some of the PDF's posted are only coming out a smidge over or under a 8.5 X 11 size. On a plane with an 84" wingspan that would obviously be too small. Please, I am most gracious for all the contributions but just trying to shed awareness on a possible oversight in posting the files. Thank you one and all!!
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Greg, not sure if I'm reading you correctly in your post but I recently downloaded the Spook 48 inch wingspan file and then used my ZOOM feature to create a screen drawing for a 72 inch winspan plan by manually adjusting the screen zoom to make a model drawing that would best use stock wood sizes around that 72" target wingspan; I then moved the screen picture where I wanted it to create 8 1/2 x 11 "tiles" which I printed off, one by one, and afterwards taped together to make the final "build plan". I don't believe any of those PDF files are going to come up full size and ready to use unless the creator of those files "pre-tiled" them. I'm very satisfied with the results on the Spook plan and will most likely use the method again. Hope this helps.

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Aug 11, 2010, 03:36 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp View Post
"Some of the PDF's posted are only coming out a smidge over or under a 8.5 X 11 size. On a plane with an 84" wingspan that would obviously be too small."
Using Acrobat 9, a pdf is easy to make and print a plan at any size. I am building a 45" span CloudCraft Mercury from a very small 102 KB jpeg. I saved the picture then converted it into a pdf. Then I opened the file with Acrobat 9 and scaled up the pic by 643% and tiled so I could print on 8.5x11 size paper. Then I assembled the 20 sheets into a large plan with tape

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263044

piperjoe

I would love to see some pictures of your Spook, I have been thinking about building one soon. is there a build log for it?

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Last edited by orange&white; Aug 11, 2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,864 Posts
To Model Mad,

Regarding .PDF file locks ("code" here). I have no file passwords and don't use them. I despise the things! I never lock my files.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:44 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Hi Scott, I haven't started building the Spook yet...just have the plans taped and laying out on a table. I tend to look over the original plans for awhile (I'm an old draftsman/designer) and will be making a few changes to the plan for RC. And then I have to finish my plan build Astro-Hog, the plan build Midwest Tri-Squire, the House of Balsa Pietenpol build, the GP Slowpoke build and the plan build Buccaneer....all in "the works" at present. Then there are a couple of wood boat builds in progress and an original AMT 1960 Buick Hardtop (Plastic kit) being worked on... I'm enjoying retirement!

It might be fun to do a build log when I start making parts for the Spook so I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Joe
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:53 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Scott, a few questions regarding the Acrobat 9 program you use: does the tile option allow sufficient overlap (if any) from sheet to sheet, will an inkjet printer "lag" effect the quality of linework on the tiles and cause a problem with correct lineup from sheet to sheet, and can this program be purchased at big box office supply stores? Thanks.

Joe
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:14 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Hi Scott, I haven't started building the Spook yet...just have the plans taped and laying out on a table. I tend to look over the original plans for awhile (I'm an old draftsman/designer) and will be making a few changes to the plan for RC. And then I have to finish my plan build Astro-Hog, the plan build Midwest Tri-Squire, the House of Balsa Pietenpol build, the GP Slowpoke build and the plan build Buccaneer....all in "the works" at present. Then there are a couple of wood boat builds in progress and an original AMT 1960 Buick Hardtop (Plastic kit) being worked on... I'm enjoying retirement!

It might be fun to do a build log when I start making parts for the Spook so I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Joe
Is this retirement or a new career? It look like you are having a great time
The spook is one of my favorites I used to fly my buddies 100" version running a Saito 65, one wheel touch and goes were fun

Scott
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:28 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Scott, a few questions regarding the Acrobat 9 program you use: does the tile option allow sufficient overlap (if any) from sheet to sheet, will an inkjet printer "lag" effect the quality of linework on the tiles and cause a problem with correct lineup from sheet to sheet, and can this program be purchased at big box office supply stores? Thanks.

Joe
Acrobat 9 has a slew of options, one is adjusting overlapping the image by one thousandths of an inch, the default is .005. The other that I use is "cut marks", I can register the tiled images with them. Also I use a light table to help register the image as I tape the sheets together. My old hp 1200 does stretch the image a little towards the end, but again the image was enlarged 643%. I also found it helps if I use 8.5" x 14" paper.

I think you can find Acrobat 9 at most large stores like Best Buy, etc, but it's a little spendy starting at about $175 us. I got mine used off ebay for $15

Scott
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:04 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
642 Posts
Quote:

Joe
Another option with Acrobat versions at least 6 through 9 (my version 5 limits you to 42" wide) is that you can make custom page sizes. I like to use 8" x 10.5" for tiling. Then when you print on 8.5" x 11" letter size paper, there is no croping and you end up with a .25" clear boarder on all 4 sides. Overlaping is no longer an issue. When I do a cad drawing for a PDF file, the cad drawing boarder is in multiples of 8" by 10.5". Example: Boarder could be 21" wide by 32" long. There is also very little croping on non US printers where letter size is not standard.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:23 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Thanks, Scott and Gene, for the Acrobat 9 information. I like the custom page size option. Truth be known though, it really didn't take long to manually print my Spook "tiles" and I ended up with a nice little clear border on each sheet; then I quickly used a hobby knife and metal straight edge to cut the border off where required prior to taping. Not as time effective as Acrobat 9 but I'm not keeping track of time too much anymore (don't even wear my watch now) LOL.

Joe
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Alright, thanks Tripacer.

Scott