SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:49 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Boy, this is getting complex. Because I have a large number of scanned files, categorized into things like CL Stunt, CL Sport, CL Novelty, RC Scale, FF OT, and many more, to try to keep things in some kind of order, I've established 2 extra folders in each category. That is, a file for scans to convert to PDF, and one to contain the newly-created PDFs for future download. Right now, I have an arbitrary cut-off date of 1972, although certain considerations may influence me to include an occasional later article.

I have noticed that since downloading and using the Nitro PDF utility, all the former jpegs I downloaded from this site have been converted to PDF format. And I think maybe even some that I had uploaded to the site, as though a link were established, Anybody else notice this?

And I located another 15 mags from 1943 to 1978. I went through them, and determined that I should be able to scan at least 35 articles and plans I passed up before.

Kind of a sad memory struck me just now. Since about 1978, in order to make room in our house, I started making copies of articles from the model airplane mags, such as plans and hints, 3 views, things like that. Then, unless a mag had full size plans, or had some special significance to me, the mag was pitched. I filled many boxes with letter, legal, and Engineering D (11.5" X 18") copies. These were from mags like Air Age, Airr Trails and it's descendants, MAN, FM, RCM, Model Aviation, Scale RC Modeler, and a number of Foriegn mags. I even used copiers at work to enlarge some of the plans to give me different sized plans. Then a few years ago, the wife and son came up with this idea to move to the state where he and his family are living. So, I started going through my files, pulling the copies I felt I had the most use for, and pitching the rest. In the last 4 years, I've pitched at least 10 recycle bags of copies, as well as old 1940 and even early 50s era mags that were falling apart just sitting in their boxes. About 4 years ago, we finally got a good network scanner/printer/plotter set-up at work where I could scan articles just around the cormner of my fabric covered box and save the scans to my desk-top. In fact, I even for a short time had access to a 36" flat bed scanner and a roll plotter. I actually had started scanning plans and parts for kits, especially at first Sterling kits for the Vintage Sterling site. Before I got half-way through, I got "Right Sized", retiring 28 weeks later, after using the severance package. Then early last year I bought an HP 309G printer-scanner-copier.

But, I miss and regret everything I had to pitch.
I feel your pain. When Darlene and I sold our house 6 years ago I had everything in boxes to transport to our new place out front. Unfortunately I didn't get back to retrieve them for 2 days. In the mean time the new owners came by and tossed them in the trash bin to be carried off to the land fill here in Tucson. Lost forever I'm afraid to say.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:06 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlumpe View Post
Yes, most references are to the engine, but I assumed Chris was looking for the biplane Bristol Jupiter Fighter, http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/...er-fighter.php , which had the Jupiter engine.

-Dave P.
Never heard of this one before! But I suspect that the name meant 'Bristol Fighter with a Jupiter', not 'Bristol Fighter renamed Jupiter'!
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:29 AM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Bristol Jupiter - OOPS!

Hey *JJ & Dave,

I was looking all last night for my mess up concerning the Bristol Jupiter "mystery plane"

I have a picture somewhere which I now know is named incorrectly. The plane which I now THINK was a Supermarine Stranraer "with" Bristol Jupiter engines was what I was meaning when I mentioned the screw-up (Bristol Jupiter).

I somehow managed to name the picture wrong of the sea/float plane in question. I haven't found the picture yet, but when I do I will post it so you folks can help me out with what the heck it is (I have to find it first though).

I have also heard of the Bristol Jupiter Fighter a.k.a. - Bristol Fighter w/ Jupiter but I think that was an old biplane with an upgrade engine stuck on to it??

So my bad completely on the Bristol Jupiter (which I didn't know was an engine until you pointed that out *JJ). It wasn't even an April Fools Joke - just a novice Fool's mistake

Anyway, if/when I actually track down that picture I will post it.
Chris
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:14 AM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Custer Channel Wing - June 1948 Air Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinklewood View Post
scaleviews,The Custer channel wing on the cover of the June '48 Air Trails magazine was there a plan of it inside? Would love to see it posted.Thanking you in advance. Stephen
Hi Stephen,

Sorry, there was no channel wing plan or model in that issue. I don't know about the entire history of Air Trails, but the few treasured issues that I possess featured a leading section on full-scale aircraft and aviation, where the focus was often on new developments in military and civil aircraft technology. That particular issue incorporated an article on experiments with channel wings which were thought by some at the time to offer promising STOL characteristics.

Even though the aircraft depicted on the cover of that issue was just an artist's conception and not representative of any full size aircraft that I'm aware of, I've often thought it inspirational for a model.

Bob Keller
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,783 Posts
You've got to love those vintage magazine covers with the painted model scenes. So much more "fodder" for the imagination back then. I know I spent much more time looking at those older model mag covers when I bought them than I do today with the photographed cover shots. Thanks for sharing!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:24 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
I used to love to read the stories in the old Air Trails mags. Fond memories of reading them under the covers at night with a flashlight. Then falling asleep while dreaming of becoming a pilot one day.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,783 Posts
I need some assistance guys: Purchased Tileprint and installed same, unlocked it and the Tileprint screen comes up just fine. I cannot, however, get the PDF from Adobe Reader (version 8) onto the Tileprint screen (following the TilePrint help guide) to tile and print the plan. Sent Rufus a PM about this but thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone has thoughts on this. Thanks!

Soft landings,

Joe

Edit: A note to say that the TilePrint problem I was having in not being able to import the PDF's into the software resulted in an email today to Andrew at Blackflight Models. Andrew wrote a nice email back with suggestions (that had already been tried) and refunded the total purchase price to me with the offer that I could still use it for free. I cannot, however, feel good about using the software for free even if I could get it to work so I elected to remove the program as the right thing to do. Andrew was very nice throughout the entire purchase and if the PDF importing issues get resolved at a later date I'd certainly consider the TilePrint software again. Thank you Andrew.
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Last edited by piperjoe; Apr 04, 2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: situation resolved very nicely
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:31 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Tile Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
... I cannot, however, get the PDF from Adobe Reader (version 8) onto the Tileprint screen (following the TilePrint help guide) to tile and print the plan....
Hi Joe,

You might want to update your Adobe Reader to Adobe Reader X. Adobe Reader X has a tile print function built right in, and it's been working pretty slick for me...

Bob Keller
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:13 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Another Douglas Skyraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang View Post
Does anyone have the full size plans for the Douglas Skyraider C/L airplane from the March 1956 Model Airplane News that they could post? Thanks!
Hey 65stang,
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I ran across this today and thought about you looking for a Skyraider.

It's a Douglas AD-4B Skyraider from Model Builder Mag. - W.Mooney back from 1967

I hope this helps... a little.
Chris
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2005
34 Posts
Thanks guys for posting these, I've enjoyed looking at all the plans. I may even build a few. Its so good to see how it was done before my time not like the cookie cutting of todays kits or umm..... last decades kits and todays B(ARF)s.

Thanks again,

Matthew
RCFlyingKnight is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKnight
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:55 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
I did a little work on the Comet Clipper scan uploaded by 50+AirYears and made a full-size plan out of it (72 inch wingspan) ready for output and building. I hope some of you build one of these.

There are no rib outlines so I hope somebody out there can come up with these and I will add them. The rest doesn't need printwood, the parts are shown on the plan.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:06 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
Thanks Rufus as always excellent work. What filters are you applying to get just black and white as I end up still getting spots of black in the Images when I try to get them to just b&w??
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:28 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
I need some assistance guys: Purchased Tileprint and installed same, unlocked it and the Tileprint screen comes up just fine. I cannot, however, get the PDF from Adobe Reader (version 8) onto the Tileprint screen (following the TilePrint help guide) to tile and print the plan. Sent Rufus a PM about this but thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone has thoughts on this. Thanks!

Soft landings,

Joe
Sometimes it
I to have tileprint and over the years on various computers. On some it imported fine from PDF files and on others tell me that Adobe is not running despite a PDF file being open. As stated new Adobe reader has a tile print function built in but this is not much good when the PDF is page size or you want to rescale the model. If you have Photoshop or Gimp (free) you can import PDF files and export them to most graphic file formats dont forget to set the dpi to at least 300 if importing page size scans as the dpi decreases as you up the scan to full size of the model. Tileprint will now have no problem importing a graphic file and up/down scaling it ect.
Hope this helps
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:46 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:

Soft landings,

Joe
Thought I had it licked but my mistake
Roger
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:55 AM
Joined Nov 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
I have posted the Electric Cardinal on the Hippocketaeronautics site

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...6427f37f56f0df

Converted by his son Colin it is identical to the Cardinal but reduced to 25" from the 35" original. Plan will enlarge to 35" span easily. Not sure if Construction is same as original as it is a kit I never built.
If importing into Gimp or Photoshop import at 300dpi which is the original resolution I scanned the image. Also note one of my early efforts and the join is a bit off but hey the wood is in stright lengths so should be no problem.
Now all we need cheap 1 metre wide feed scanner and all our problems will be over
Many thanks, that looks like the original construction to me. I've built two over the decades. Another coming up soon.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401