HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:12 AM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
And I apologize in advance if some were copied from this site. I have no index. I might in time even repeat what I have already submitted. I have a couple thousand files.
50+

There is an index on page 209 of this fourm, which should help you out with what's already been posted. By the way you've got some neat stuff!
tri-pacer is online now Find More Posts by tri-pacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:39 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *jj View Post
That's because the Bristol Jupiter was an engine, not an aircraft!
Yes, most references are to the engine, but I assumed Chris was looking for the biplane Bristol Jupiter Fighter, http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/...er-fighter.php , which had the Jupiter engine.

-Dave P.
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:32 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Well, I wiped the screen of my scanner down with a Windex wipe, then went back and looked at some of the scans off it, and on the latest batch, I think the fuzziness alond the center is because I scnned directly from the SAM S-peaks newsletter, which comes through folded in half in a narrow envelope. I tried smoothing the newsletter out, the placing the page on the platen with the NL folded open to the desired page. Apparently the cover isn't heavy enough to hold the booklet perfectly flat.
Ahhh . . good! The problem isn't in your scanner! What you describe is something we all have regarding folds. As was said, press the scanner lid down when making the scan. Very often a fold will leave a shadow in the scan even with holding down the lid. Fortunately this can be removed in Photoshop. You are getting there with making good scans. Could I politely ask if you would re-scan the Comet Clipper plan over again? I really want that plan!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:21 PM
Chesapeake City, Md
Joined Feb 2008
34 Posts
Mushroom Model

Great magazine that concentrates on one aircraft at a time. Do a google search to find the various free sources of the mag. Pretty big files, however.
Thanks for the help with converting files from all of you, I really appreciate it. I took this magazine cover and converted it in Nitro, really reduced it and made it capable of being posted here. R
mustangs56 is offline Find More Posts by mustangs56
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:55 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Douglas Skyraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang View Post
Does anyone have the full size plans for the Douglas Skyraider C/L airplane from the March 1956 Model Airplane News that they could post? Thanks!
I do not have a clue what magazine this came from - there is no mention on the plans anywhere that I have seen.

I hope this is the one you are looking for 65stang.

I found this in the hippocketaero web site Aeromeddeler has mentioned.

P.S. it looks like the plans were done by: S. Calhoun Smith
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Last edited by Swankee; Apr 02, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:09 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
520 Posts
Douglas Skyraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swankee View Post
I do not have a clue what magazine this came from - there is no mention on the plans anywhere that I have seen.
That's Cal Smith's from June 1951 Air Trails. Article starts on p.31. It was the NATs winner in Navy Carrier event.

I remember wanting to build that one (but never did). The Skyraider was a favorite during the Korean "police action".

-Dave
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:59 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Vernon Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
Great plans, great resource.

Would anyone be able to post a pdf of the Veron Cardinal plan?

Thanks in advance
I have posted the Electric Cardinal on the Hippocketaeronautics site

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...6427f37f56f0df

Converted by his son Colin it is identical to the Cardinal but reduced to 25" from the 35" original. Plan will enlarge to 35" span easily. Not sure if Construction is same as original as it is a kit I never built.
If importing into Gimp or Photoshop import at 300dpi which is the original resolution I scanned the image. Also note one of my early efforts and the join is a bit off but hey the wood is in stright lengths so should be no problem.
Now all we need cheap 1 metre wide feed scanner and all our problems will be over
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:43 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Some more WW? and a Stosser

Curtiss Kittyhawk 31" span F/F scale for .5cc motors Aeromodeller January 1980.
Focke Wulf Stosser 43 " span F/F scale for .8cc Aeromodeller January 1956
Hamilcar 43"span troop carrying glider F/F scale Aeromodeller November 1946
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:57 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Regarding the lack of WWII models they do seem in short supply in the early years of the magazines and many of those that were seem to be C/L. Before R/C F/F twins were almost non existent. The gap for WWII war-birds was filled by the kit makers, I wonder how many potential aeromodellers were lost to the hobby as like me the first model they wanted to build was a war-bird (a KK spitfire in my case). Notoriously difficult to cut out the formers and build most models had wavy fuselage stringers. They were even more difficult to trim and fly. Over wind and the rubber motor tore through the fuselage. Responsible model shop proprietor would try and steer the young modeller to a more suitable model . But as the saying goes the customer is always right and many were sold an unsuitable model.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Beelzebub

Here's the magazine article and a full size PDF plan I worked up for Beelzebub, an Arden .099 powered control line stunter designed by Chuck Lee and published as a fold-out full size plan in the June 1948 Air Trails Pictorial.

Bob Keller
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:34 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
50+ - Thank you kind sir. Your help is greatly appreciated... And Thank you for all the plans you are loading to the site.

Aeromeddeler - as always it's great to get some additions to the missing links in the WW series.
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:24 PM
Norham West Australia
Joined Jul 2010
81 Posts
scaleviews,The Custer channel wing on the cover of the June '48 Air Trails magazine was there a plan of it inside? Would love to see it posted.Thanking you in advance. Stephen
tinklewood is offline Find More Posts by tinklewood
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:23 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Boy, this is getting complex. Because I have a large number of scanned files, categorized into things like CL Stunt, CL Sport, CL Novelty, RC Scale, FF OT, and many more, to try to keep things in some kind of order, I've established 2 extra folders in each category. That is, a file for scans to convert to PDF, and one to contain the newly-created PDFs for future download. Right now, I have an arbitrary cut-off date of 1972, although certain considerations may influence me to include an occasional later article.

I have noticed that since downloading and using the Nitro PDF utility, all the former jpegs I downloaded from this site have been converted to PDF format. And I think maybe even some that I had uploaded to the site, as though a link were established, Anybody else notice this?

And I located another 15 mags from 1943 to 1978. I went through them, and determined that I should be able to scan at least 35 articles and plans I passed up before.

Kind of a sad memory struck me just now. Since about 1978, in order to make room in our house, I started making copies of articles from the model airplane mags, such as plans and hints, 3 views, things like that. Then, unless a mag had full size plans, or had some special significance to me, the mag was pitched. I filled many boxes with letter, legal, and Engineering D (11.5" X 18") copies. These were from mags like Air Age, Airr Trails and it's descendants, MAN, FM, RCM, Model Aviation, Scale RC Modeler, and a number of Foriegn mags. I even used copiers at work to enlarge some of the plans to give me different sized plans. Then a few years ago, the wife and son came up with this idea to move to the state where he and his family are living. So, I started going through my files, pulling the copies I felt I had the most use for, and pitching the rest. In the last 4 years, I've pitched at least 10 recycle bags of copies, as well as old 1940 and even early 50s era mags that were falling apart just sitting in their boxes. About 4 years ago, we finally got a good network scanner/printer/plotter set-up at work where I could scan articles just around the cormner of my fabric covered box and save the scans to my desk-top. In fact, I even for a short time had access to a 36" flat bed scanner and a roll plotter. I actually had started scanning plans and parts for kits, especially at first Sterling kits for the Vintage Sterling site. Before I got half-way through, I got "Right Sized", retiring 28 weeks later, after using the severance package. Then early last year I bought an HP 309G printer-scanner-copier.

But, I miss and regret everything I had to pitch.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Apr 03, 2011 at 12:31 AM.