HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Oct 2005
144 Posts
Dear Plane Man

Quote:
If I have the Matador I can't find it in a search. If it is in a file without the Matador name I wouldn't know how to search for it. What info do you have?
I remember I saw the Matador plan in one of the (I think) four or five repli-kit pdf files that you have (the ones that need a code to open). They are in the collection of scans that you have not worked on yet. Not that this scan needs any work done to it. It is perfect. I only mentioned this to save you (and John 38) a lot of work.

I distinctly remember it because it is one of the plans that I have been looking for, for some time. It was there in all its glory (like all the other Repli-Kit plans) beautifully scanned from a good condition full size original.

It wasn't on its own in that pdf by the way. It was lumped together with another 10-12 other scans of old kits (Keil Kraft, Veron or Mercury). I don't know if it can be seperated from the rest of the scans in the same file though (I am told it can) but it would be worth a try.

If you still can't find it in your vast collection let me know and I will look for it myself.

Keep well and thanks for all those great reworked plans.

Sam
Model Mad is offline Find More Posts by Model Mad
Last edited by Model Mad; Aug 07, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:16 PM
Joined Oct 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
modelmad

the DWG file is 20 Mb - so I will email that 2 you. Turbocad 14 opens it so you should be ok

John 38,

Thanks for the DWG file. I use AutoCAD and not Turbocad but I think I can still open the .dwg file since it is a defacto standard format for most Cad programs now adays.

Quote:
I produced that DWG by:-

16 scans - greyscale as the 2 plan sheets had aged coloured background. Put each thru photostudio 5 to convert to black and white and then vectored them.
If I had to trace over sixteen scans in AutoCAD John, I would save some time and just insert them in autoCAD as they come from the scanner (tiffs, gifs or better still Jpegs- since AutoCAd does not accept inserts as pdfs) and then trace over them one page at a time. There is no need to stitch them together first in another program before you can insert them in a Cad program and trace over them, since you can do that "stitching" in the Cad program itself after you insert them.

Another advantage to this method of mine is that if they happen to scale differently from sheet to sheet when you scanned them, you can then enlarge (or reduce) the size of each scan (in the Cad program) till they all fit together in the right size to each other.

Quote:
I then imported to modelcad to stitch them together - helped by the overlap on eac scan.
I think you are already using the above described technique. No need for me to elabotrate more on it.

Quote:
The result altho not to draughting standard is more than adequate for building to and now that dwg is in cad format - enlargement is easy.
Very true. My cad drawings are for building from and not for display. They have no notes on them but all structural details have been worked out. I also add additional lines to aid the building process. I do these in light grey.

Quote:
I use older Cad programs in order to print on my bubblejet continuous printer - pages are 14" wide and as long as you like but printer only runs on windows 98 .
That is an old driver limitation John. Try downloading a newer driver for the same printer and see if that will help you get over this problem.

Quote:
the big advantage is - I do not have to stick a lot of A4 pages together for large plans,
I have it easy too. I have an A3 (11x17) bubblejet printer so I don't have the problem of printing on many sheets. Most of the models I build (speed 400 size max) can have their wings and fuselage fit on two A3s (or two 11x17s). I also help the sheet joining process accuracy by drawing a straight line through the fuselage (like a datum line) and through the wing halves (parallel to the wing spar) to make sure that the two sheets align correctly (using a staright edge) when they are joined together.

Quote:
If I can only figure how to get acrobat reader to print pdf plans to the bubblejet , it would save me a lot of hassle converting pdf to dwg formats
It is a piece of cake John and you are already doing it (sort of). By converting the original pdf format file into any file format that is acceptable for insertion into AutoCAD; Gif, Tif, Jpeg. (AutoCAD would not allow you to insert a pdf drawing- but Turbo CAD will) you can then insert that scan into AutoCAD.
Once you have the scanned image into AutoCAd you can manipulate it the way you like just like you do with a block (enlarge it, reduce it, mirror image it, distort it- give it different x and y scale values) and of course you can print the drawing file with the scan inserted in it using a bubble jet printer (won't work on a plotter though since it is composed of dots and not vectors). So if you just want to produce drawings to build from (this process has all the shortcomings of enlarging using a photocopier) but is still an excellent method to produce the drawings at home cheaply without having to go to an enginnering office (like Kinko etc).

What this process wont allow you to do is change the construction of the model and the size of the wood pieces used. For that you will need to trace over it in CAD.

Quote:
having said that, it is easy in CAD to split a dwg up from a square to a linear dwg to suit the bubblejet 14" wide printer and avoid the need to stick paper together.

john
True. You can fit a sizeable model on a sheet of paper 14" wide and the length of a roll of paper. By using different color ink for the different components of the model (wing , fuselage, empenange) you can draw all these components on top of each other (in the same sheet) thus saving on paper. But that is extreme.

Sam
Last edited by Model Mad; Aug 07, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 06:30 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Mad View Post
Dear Plane Man

I remember I saw the Matador plan in one of the (I think) four or five repli-kit pdf files that you have (the ones that need a code to open). They are in the collection of scans that you have not worked on yet. Not that this scan needs any work done to it. It is perfect. I only mentioned this to save you (and John 38) a lot of work.

I distinctly remember it because it is one of the plans that I have been looking for, for some time. It was there in all its glory (like all the other Repli-Kit plans) beautifully scanned from a good condition full size original.

I

Its news to me because I cant find it on any of our Replikit stuff.

We have got the plan somewhere though.

Just not in scanned form
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Apr 2005
563 Posts
update on my search for a matador plan - I called round to Derick's pad (www.model-plans.co.uk) who just lives 2 miles away from me. helped him with a network problem and got the matador plan printed.
excellent service - recommened to all on here
VinceHaworth is offline Find More Posts by VinceHaworth
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:55 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,124 Posts
Berkeley Bootstraps ARC - 1

Here's the Berkeley Bootstraps.
When I opened the box, the plans started falling apart.
Some small errors.
pd1 is online now Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pd1; Dec 02, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2010, 07:09 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Thanks pd1, the plan looks good

Scott

A plan index is available on page 1 post 1, courtesy of Windependence, thank Wayne.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1007
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Last edited by orange&white; Oct 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:45 AM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Any one for bumblebee's on a string

these things are cool
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
Last edited by kenny e; Aug 09, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:56 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
I`ve built quite a few of the classic vintage era models, Scorpion, Red Zephyr, Brooklyn Dodger, Lanzo etc. I`m looking for something a bit different! Perhaps a flying wing, Manx Monarch or similar.Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
Hi Shane. I have the Quaker flash and I am looking for the Lanzo Bomber. I you are interested, I also have a Buzzard Bombshell
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:24 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
757 Posts
Model Mad,

thanks for your comments.

I save time by not tracing to tidy dwg as I anticipated only for own use.

As you say, I think we both follow similar routes to get from pdf or bit pictures onto a CAD platform for manipulation of plan such as enlarging and printing on larger paper.

I am stuck with printer driver on 98 as canon in their cost saving wisdom dont update drivers of old printers for new versions of windows. XP did drive the printer but at end of each "page" insisted on inserting new page giving me a blank page between every page of plan.
must try on windows 7 - you never know with computers and software.

Colour good idea but all shades of black are still black unfortunately.. I do save trees on the larger plans by printing on both sides - I split plans up from square format to linear to squeeze into 14" width paper - easy to do with section delete etc.

cheers
john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:47 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Plan

Wondered if anyone out there has a plan for the Vic Smeed "Miss 38"?
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:05 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
784 Posts
Yes.
Allan, contact me.
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:06 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
581 Posts
Miss 38
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:01 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Plan

Thanks Warren and Mark.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,861 Posts
A question for Model Mad . . .

You mention needing "a code to open" the .PDF file for the "Matador". As I don't have the code I probably never opened it and can't open it. I sure wish you guys wouldn't lock your files with opening codes. Especially of you post them here.

Would you have the code Model Mad?

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2005
144 Posts
Quote:
I am stuck with printer driver on 98 as canon in their cost saving wisdom dont update drivers of old printers for new versions of windows. XP did drive the printer but at end of each "page" insisted on inserting new page giving me a blank page between every page of plan.must try on windows 7 - you never know with computers and software.
John 38

I don't know much about computers and software, but that does not sound to me like a driver problem. You could always do a search on the net (in the knowledge base for that model of printer) for that problem as someone might have worked a away around it.

Back in the mid nineties I did own the first A3 size affordable Canon bubble jet printer (A330 or A340). That printer could print banners (ie the width of a roll of paper by the full length of the roll) if necessary.

It was a setting in the 'print setup' of the printer software itself (and not in Windows software) that allowed me to print either to a certain sheet size (stock or custom) to to print banners (full roll length).

Till I learned how to adjust that setting, I too was getting plots (prints) on non standard sheets (usually much longer than I wanted).

So try to manipulate the settings in 'print setup' of the printer software itself and see if that will make a difference to your final sheet size.

Sam