HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
Some Scale plans from the pages of Model Aircraft

DFS Reiher a 6ft 3 inch span sailplane
(A little in joke for all of us who are subjected to British commercial TV)
  • The DFS Reiher we make sofa`s too---SALE now on.
Druine Turbulent by Doug McHard 21 inch span for the .15cc dart diesel. F/F
ME109E 40 inch span for 1.5cc F/F
Foke Wulf Moskito prototype 39 inch span for two 1.5cc engines C/L
Piper Comanche 36 inch span for .75 to 1 cc motors F/F
Hey aeromeddeler, which issues (dates) were these from?
(the Druine & the Piper)

Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
OK,so what's the speed of dark
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
Hi Wayne; Great looking Falcon you have there. That be the one and I would love to build it if I can ever get the time. From the information I have, it's a 1949 design.

Here is a plan for the Taurus and I don't remember seeing it on the list yet. He has a Simula that is a very much modified Taurus in this months MA and there is a kit out along with the plans. Dwane and his group did a fantastic job of putting all the information together to build this fantastic plane and make it available to all of us. I've included a picture of Dwane and his new Simula he built. Looks fantastic.

Also a nice little twin autogyro that I found and includes the article that goes along with it. Takes a 50W motor and made of foam.

Ed
mred3 is offline Find More Posts by mred3
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:13 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,540 Posts
Ummm.... hmmm.... errrrr.... I did not mean to imply that the fantastic looking Falcon in my previous post is my work. I only have a copy of the picture from the original builder as a goal to strive for when I build. The praise should be directed to s35pilot, here is a link to the post with additional pictures.

Wayne

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803585
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:27 AM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl3vml View Post
Hey aeromeddeler, which issues (dates) were these from?
(the Druine & the Piper)

Mark
DFS Reiher October 1959
Druine Turbulent and the Foke Wulf Moskito December 1959
Me 109e October 1961
Piper Comanche November 1959
All from Model Airctaft

Bowden Mouse July 1978
1/2 size Copeland wakefield September 1996
1/2 size Judge wakfield November 1996
All from Aeromodeller. Normally would not post as Magazines are only 33 and 15 years old. although models are vintage so what is the guideline. If model is vintage or reconstruction of vintage is that acceptable.

Roger
aeromeddeler is online now Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Mar 31, 2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: forgot to add Reiher
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,247 Posts
I'm still working on the Outerzone plans database site at www.outerzone.co.uk and predictably enough, this is taking much longer than I expected. Although it is all working now, but not as beautifully as I want it to do, just yet. More soon.

Meanwhile, I found the book Aircraft of the Fighting Powers Volume II by Harborough Publishing from 1942 in a charity shop last week, and I have been struck by the beautifully drawn 3-view line drawings in it, and the modelling ads on the first few pages. Here is one for Astral Kits Bristol Beaufighter, a 28in span twin rubber scale model designed by H. J. Towner. I like that (with no modesty at all) they describe this as 'the finest achievement in the model world'. Does anyone happen to have this plan? I'd love to see exactly how fine it is.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Astral Beaufighter

Well WMD, Towner's designs were certainly "fine" from a scale viewpoint, less so (with rubber power) from a flying point of view, and, as the Astral kits (along with all others in the UK) were supplied during the war with "balsa substitute" (i.e. mostly hairy obeche), less so still! In fact, with this material, it was quite an achievement to actually build the model, never mind about getting it to fly.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
OK,so what's the speed of dark
Glenwood,GA
Joined Aug 2006
1,071 Posts
For all of you that are trying to convert plans to PDF, I just found this last night and tried it this morning. It works great and is very easy to use, but best of all, it is FREE. It looks like it will convert any type of file to PDF and I don't think you could find an easier to use program. Take a look as see if this is what you are looking for.

Ed

http://www.nitroreader.com/download/
mred3 is offline Find More Posts by mred3
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Well WMD, Towner's designs were certainly "fine" from a scale viewpoint, less so (with rubber power) from a flying point of view....
Now this is the first reference I have found as to the aerodynamic abilities of Mr Towner's work......

Is this from personal experience, Sundancer? And do you know whether the problem was weight of the wood (ignoring the original obeche supplied), weight of design ('lots of wood' a la Guillows) or aerodynamic design????
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:27 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
524 Posts
Astral/Towner's Bristol Beaufighter

WMD - Here it is.
-Dave P.
DPlumpe is online now Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlumpe View Post
WMD - Here it is.
-Dave P.
Outstanding. I love this thread. Thanks Dave.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:44 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Well, I had to download the full manual from the HP site for my scanner, but I did reset the scan resolution from the default 200 dpi to a finer 600 dpi. Tried a scan at 1200, but that was taking over a minute per page. Of course, no telling what will happen to a 3.5 mb fine file when it gets compressed to the size this site compresses to. Here's a few that I just got this morning from the SAM Speaks newsletter.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:00 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Thanks Roger.
It's always good to be able to date plans for reference.
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:27 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
>whether the problem was weight of the wood (ignoring the original obeche supplied), weight of design ('lots of wood'

Both. As a novice I was given for Christmas an Astral kit for a Towner 'Hawker Typhoon' whch was completely beyond my capabilities then - and I don't think I'd want to contemplate it even now. Very complex and labour-intensive; all wing ribs built up from strip. etc.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:31 PM
The Swedish Yankee
West coast of Sweden
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Nice Bristol Beaufighter,

Anybody out there have a Beaufort? Might as well mention the Bristol Blenheim and Jupiter as well, Anybody have these? How about a Vicker's Supermarine Walrus?

How about some Junkers? We have some Stukas... Anybody have a Ju.52? Ju.88?

How about the Vought OS2U Kingfisher?

Have a good Night.
Swankee is offline Find More Posts by Swankee
Last edited by Swankee; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:19 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Towner designs

Personal experience Colonel Blink - OK maybe I was too young to be attempting scale models anyway, but the impression is definitely that these "flying scale" models were "scale" first and "flying" a long way second. The substitution of highly unsuitable materials just made matters worse, and as Applehoney says, the structural design did seem to be based on the "never use one piece where 10 will do" principal.

Maybe some very experienced and very competent modellers did complete and get some of these models to fly OK, especially if they were lucky enough to have a balsa version. Trouble is most of them ended up in the hands of younger novices and in these circumstances they really had no chance. The Beaufighter, being a rubber powered TWIN, stood even less chance than most. Now, with a couple of micro outrunner motors and four function ultra light proportional radio, that might be a different story........
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer