HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:59 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
Planeman, That plan is in much better shape than my Zilch-X.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
11 Posts
Planeman, thanks so very much i have been looking for a usable copy of this for about five years. ed
eckorzun is offline Find More Posts by eckorzun
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,230 Posts
Outerzone - plans listing site

I was saying before that I want to build and host a free online listing of vintage plans in PDF format. Then I agreed with Bob and said I should stop waffling on about it, roll up my sleeves and get on and build it. If it doesnt work, if it's not popular and doesn't take off, that's not a disaster. At least I will have had a go at it.

Well, I have been tinkering away and project Outerzone is live now. If you are interested and want to take a look, the address is www.outerzone.co.uk - this is very much a beta test. By which I mean the site is only half-built. I am keen to hear any feedback from users, though.

At this stage there is much to tidy up and to organise, there will be many bugs. but I'm hoping this is the beginning of something that is good.

Am interested to hear any thoughts. This will stand or fall on whether or not it does what people want it to do. Feedback will help a lot.

Steve
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Daddy's pad when mama's mad
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Dec 2008
423 Posts
Outerzone

Good looking website WMD

Kenny
kenny e is offline Find More Posts by kenny e
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
628 Posts
Nice site,I will keep watching it.
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,901 Posts
Outerzone

Looks like a good start to me WMD. Stay with it!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
I think the original article by Jim Saftig was in Model Airplane News February 1952 issue. Now to find the magazine...
Close - it was the Feb, 1953 MAN issue, page 14.

-Dave P.
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Needlenose

Here's the article and a full size pdf plan I worked up for Needlenose, a 20" span, Fox .59 powered circle burner designed by Wiz Pease and Cyril Shaw originally appearing in Model Aviation and (re)published in the December 1950 issue of Flying Models.

Bob Keller
www.scaleviews.com
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old foamie View Post
Does anybody have any plans of C E Bowden's work ? His early model aviation planes have nifty look to them, especially with there enlarged tails. You don't see much of them, any info or plans would be appreciated.
Col Bowden wrote lots of articles, his main interest seemed to be in petrol engines and later deisel. He had very few plans published in the Aeromodelling magazines. I have none of the original relevant magazines to see if the plans were complete and worth scanning.
So here is what I do have

Drone plan - 7ft span basically a picture of a replica that has been built but does give detailed 3 view with all dimensions so it would be possible to build
Contest Plan 60" span - This will have been scanned fron the 50year flasback articles in the 1990`s from a tiny picture so quality not tip top
Bowden Mouse - Article on reconstruction of the Bowden Mouse. Plan was 1/2 page so good copy.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Last edited by aeromeddeler; Mar 24, 2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
628 Posts
Thanks! This is more than I had to work with. I had some poor resolution plans that where small and you couldn't enlarge them to see any detail.The Mouse was the first that took my eye, I guess I'm taken by the unusual.I have. a poor copy of the Hummingbird,Midget and one called Porlock Puffin. The last looks like one of his designs , but I'm not sure, again thank very much Aero.
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Never mind.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Last edited by Bargle; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, IL, Edinburg
Joined Dec 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Am interested to hear any thoughts. This will stand or fall on whether or not it does what people want it to do. Feedback will help a lot.
Hi Steve,

Looks to me like you're off to a proper start with your plans site. The databased approach is most definitely the way to go about it. I think your beta classification scheme could use finer breakouts as to model type, so if a user wants to search for say Wakefields or Moffetts only, the database supports it. But you're already aware of the need for that, and it's something you can do on the fly as you're adding plans.

I'm currently using a 3-tiered scheme for classifying and organizing plans, so it's something like free-flight.rubber.wakefield or ukie.racing.rat or radio.glider.two-meter. Not everything fits the 3-tiered scheme so neatly, but it certainly beats the big unclassified pile that I started with...

Non-topical banners and advertisements are just plain annoying, so using 3rd party sites to host the plan files is a less than optimal approach. I understand your reasons for parking them elsewhere, but all else equal I think a plans site that directly hosts the plans files is going to have the edge in appeal.

Congrats on taking the plunge and good work so far. www.outerzone.co.uk is now linked in on the links page at scaleviews.com as a plans source...

Bob Keller
www.scaleviews.com
scaleviews.com is offline Find More Posts by scaleviews.com
Last edited by scaleviews.com; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:46 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
Thought I'd have some fun since I'm feeling like dog - well! So, I took this and created a cut file.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post

Steve
If this thread is anything to go by, then it should be a winner. Good work, fella!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf.au View Post
I am trying to locate copies of the plans done by:
1) Vern Clements - Gee Bee Z and the R1 & R2.
2) R.S.Hirsch - The entire Gee-Bee series of 1965-6.

Can anyone help me with getting copies / scans of these old plans ?
Any info would be appreciated.

David
Sorry Airwolf, I cant find the requested plans .
regards
stg61abc is offline Find More Posts by stg61abc