HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:14 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer21uk View Post
Take a look at my site for swapping plans at www.model-plans.co.uk
Flyer, your site is a true goldmine..!!...keep up your excellent work...!! (and backup your hard drives......)
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
How would someone find out if a plan is no longer in print?

I enjoyed browsing your site. Thanks.
WillyAA is offline Find More Posts by WillyAA
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
If you want a specific plan, I have lists showing magazine plans and can usually track down most plans. There are odd ones that either were not published or no records remain of them.
I am trying to create a library of the oldies especially kit plans before they all go in the bin. ARTF will have a finite life and we shall return. BUILDERS UNITE!
flyer21uk is offline Find More Posts by flyer21uk
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
I really like this one

Reg Truman Top Hat half A Texaco

Thank you Teals1

Scott
What was the original size of this one? And was it called a Thermaleer also?
Thank you
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Hi Leadchucker, I now own the original full size model. You can see photos of it at...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269823
See post #12. The size of the original design was around 2.7 metre wing span, wing section is a Grant X8 (undercambered design), power is a .90 four stroke from memory - can't go an look as I'm at work!

Reg Truman, the designer always referred to it as RC-1. It was later reduced to 40% size for 1/2A Texaco and renamed Top Hat. There were no known plans of RC-1 until just recently. I now have this plan being scanned, reworked on to tidy it up, and will post it on this plans site in due course. The plan is only about 40% of the full size but has all the full size dimensions on it as well as full size wing and tail ribs. Another interesting thing to note is that the plan also had the name 'Big Daddy' written on it so Reg possibly called it that.

It is a lovely model to fly in light to moderate winds. Will keep you posted.
Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:22 PM
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Further to my posting, I'm home now and just checked. The RC-1 Wing span is 2.8 metres and engine is a Super Custom .91 four stroke - bags of power and mostly fly on half throttle. Larger engine there primarily as a balancing weight - better than carrying lead! Will try to get video of model in the air next time I'm out but weather looks to be wet for the next few days. Allen
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:25 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,550 Posts
I have a paper plan of the TopHat thats 61" span for class "A" Texaco, the plan was drawn by Selective draughting Services of Tauranga NZ
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Hi Clipclop, Yes the plans by Selective Draughting Ser (Alan Woolster) plans are a redraw of the Top Hat plans. There are slight differences in the RC-1 "Big Daddy" plan. Basically, the outline shape is the same however. Watch out for the posted copy of RC-1 in due course (a couple of weeks or so). Allen
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:14 AM
Norham West Australia
Joined Jul 2010
81 Posts
thank you again planeman,kenny e,scott for all the wonderful plan. They are all works of art A sign of the time.
tinklewood is offline Find More Posts by tinklewood
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
624 Posts
Here's a little something different: A Bob Palmer Thunderbird. The pictures and plan were sent to me by a gentelman who converted it to R/C. He told me that if he had to do it over, he'd lengthen the tail moment about 2". Other than that, he said it flys pretty nice.
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Thanks tri-pacer for the t-bird PDF file!!

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:11 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
163 Posts
Cessna 195

Does anyone have a complete copy of the CO2 powered Cessna 195 by Earl Stahl? Thanks for all of the previously posted plans.
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:20 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Is this what your looking for??
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:25 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyAA View Post
Is this what your looking for??
I actually do have that, I believe I found it on the Plan Page.......but I have never been able to scale it correctly to make the two halves fit? I guess I'm not that good with a computer. But thanks for the help.
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Somebody on this site posted this tutorial, I think it might have been on the Vintage Old Timers Thread, but I can't remember his name. I am forever grateful for his efforts. Since it has already been posted somewhere I figure it is ok to post it here.