HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:39 PM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
641 Posts
Ka-6BR,
Almost all of my scans are monochrome. My scanner is a Microtek. It has a line art setting in addition to black & white. The line art scan is much better than the black & white. There are still speckels to remove but I have software that easily cleans and is excellant when working with monochrome files. Unfortunately, it is very expensive - it's "SV Scanraster". I purchased it about 10 years ago when it was still reasonably priced. It was purchased for converting raster files to DXF. It turned out to be better than Photoshop and Paint shop Pro for working with 2 bit raster files in my opinion.
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:04 PM
Airframe Stress Tester
Barrie Ontario
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Does someone here have the Mossie plan from Aeromodeller? I think it was Dec. 54 or 55?
I am totally gobsmacked at the amount of work you folk are doing here, and since I don't have any of the older plans to contribute, I am willing to help do the grunt clean up work on scans before posting as a PDF.
Hllrsr is offline Find More Posts by Hllrsr
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:22 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdj View Post
I have greatly enjoyed having this resource of old plans available, and saved couple for the future. Now I want to give back. I have a few older plans, how can I put them up for the masses?

Dave
Thanks for the thought Dave!

First of all you might want to post here that you have a specific kit and ask if it needs scanning. One of us might already have that restored plan in their files and just hasn't posted it here yet. That would save you some trouble.

If no one replies they have it, then take the plan to a local blueprint service and have it scanned. Also, if there is printwood or die cut parts, these need to be scanned too. This will have to be done on a flatbed scanner which the blueprint service may or may not have. Some of your friends should have one though. And remember, when you scan anything in sections, be sure to have at least a 1" overlap of the scans. Scans at a blueprint house are usually only a couple of dollars plus the cost of a disc to put it on. When you do this, be sure to tell them you want the scan to be at 300 dpi. (dots per inch resolution) and in grayscale (photo quality) and save as a .TIF file. These specs are very important to get a really good restoration. Be aware the file size will be pretty large, too large to post here. When you are done, if you don't have the necessary skills and software to to the restoration yourself, just post here that you have a scan ready and one of us doing restorations will contact you and make arrangements to get the scan from you.

You will be doing the hobby a great service! Thanks!!!

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:34 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hllrsr View Post
Does someone here have the Mossie plan from Aeromodeller? I think it was Dec. 54 or 55?
I am totally gobsmacked at the amount of work you folk are doing here, and since I don't have any of the older plans to contribute, I am willing to help do the grunt clean up work on scans before posting as a PDF.
Great! We can use you!

If you can do clean-up work it would help a LOT! Some plans are pretty clean and only need a little touch-up. There are some others though that we come across on the Internet that are plagued with lots of little black dots all over the white areas. I have been hand erasing these which is easy but time consuming. Having help with this would certainly speed things along and let those of us with the ability and experience in Photoshop to spend out time on the tricky things.

Also, I have been informed by one of the experienced CAD guys that there is a way in CAD to automatically clean up these little dots. If anyone out there knows how to do this It would certainly help. Can any of you chime in?

Planeman
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-6BR View Post
Planeman has thrown the gauntlet, and I accept!

Here is the Fiesler Storch by Aeromodeller at 46.5 inch wingspan. The original is a blue line print badly faded by sunlight, with lots of pin holes from being tacked to the wall, and corner holes from being folded and unfolded countless times. I took the print to Staples Office Supply for scanning and saving the TIF file onto my thumb memory instead of them burning it to a CD. That only cost a couple of dollars and saved a lot of home scanning hassles. It was scanned in color at 300dpi. Color option is critical for separating lines from the background. When editing is complete, I save in B&W 2 bit or gray 16 bit. I prefer Paint Shop Pro 5 and have never used Photoshop, which everyone else on the planet seems to use. I keep my 'restorations' in PNG or TIF format, but PDF seems to be the format of choice here, so I converted it. If you want this plan in PNG or TIF, drop me a PM.

By the way, go to the two Comet models forums on Yahoo Groups for plans that I and others have restored and posted.

- Erik
Nice restoration job Ka-6BR!!!

That's one I don't have. I added it to my collection. Keep going!

Planeman
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
I can confirm I don't have the restoration skills. I'll look in the plan box and see what I can offer up.

Dave
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
Airframe Stress Tester
Barrie Ontario
Joined Apr 2004
78 Posts
Planeman,
PM me if you want a hand with the clean up and conversion, I'll do one and send it back to see if it meets the excellent quality of what you guys are doing.

Iain
Hllrsr is offline Find More Posts by Hllrsr
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:19 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white View Post
Are you talking about a T Craft?

Orange&White
Scott
I hadn't finished the drawing yet! Still look good though.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:08 AM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Fleetwing Seabird

I'll make this quick. I don't want to interrupt the flow of plans on this thread.

A few months ago Planeman submitted plans for a Fleetwing Seabird. I have finished it and have been flying it off the snow for the last few days. It flys very well if slow and looks great in the air.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:59 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post
I hadn't finished the drawing yet! Still look good though.
Sorry, I got it on a $6.00 cd with 1500 plans from ebay.
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:07 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
If it's the control-line version by the Aeromuddler staff Iain, yes, 40" span? Will do a patchwork scan (A4 patches) if that will help. REALLY must get one's a**e into gear and read and understand Planemans instructions on how to do it.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Last edited by Circlip; Dec 21, 2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:34 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
628 Posts
Did I hear a request for a Mossie?
As always pm an email for higher res.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:36 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,640 Posts
Saved by the bell, that's the one I have Warren.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:25 AM
Toulon, South of FRANCE
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Morane Saulnier MS225 Parasol fighter

Hi,
Today here is a French fighter of the thirties, the last Morane's parasol aircraft : the MORANE SAULNIER MS 225.
spockangel is offline Find More Posts by spockangel
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:09 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,139 Posts
Grumman F9F Cougar

An early Ducted fan plane.
28 inch Grumman Cougar from May 56 M.A.N.

I've got to build more and scan less.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1