HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:16 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
1. You say prepare in gray scale at 300dpi. what format? JPG, BMP or PDF?
Use ,TIF. No compression, however you are not going to keep this .TIF file anyway.
2. When I changed to 1200dpi, my picture changed dimensions on it's own. It went from 37 inch wide to 24 inch wide. I was using PDF and grayscale when this happened.
This is most likely caused by the Pixel Aspect Ratio changing. Go to the Image menu, then Pixel Aspect Ratio, and select Delete Pixel Aspect Ratio. Let me know if this doesn't work.
3. When I went to adjust brightness and contrast I wasn't getting a big
variation.
You won't get a big variation in normal mode. For a large variation, in the little Brightness/Contrast window check the "Use Legacy" box, then make changes.
4 When I went to posterization I selected 2 and that was the end of help there.
After selecting "2", then press the "O.K." button. I guess I thought that was obvious. Sorry.
Can you help me try to keep the physical image size constant while I manipulate the resolution?
See Pixel Aspect Ratio above.

A little complicated isn't it? I had to figure out all of this on my own. I'm self-taught in Photoshop, however with my lengthy background in high quality color print preparation I understood the basic principles and terms before I started. Most people don't realize that color printing is a highly technical and complex process that deals a lot with photographic knowledge.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 10:55 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
Although I do not do them the same way as Rufus, I'll have to try it his way soon.
There's infinite ways to skin this cat. I personally NEVER touch brightness and contrast. Ever. I'm more of a curves guy, or levels if I'm in a hurry. Just different paths to the same(ish) outcome. I'm in Photoshop every day for work, and I STILL do things inefficiently. Force of habit.

One thing I've been meaning to do with plan scans is to try working only in the red or blue channel (in RGB, natch) since green tends to preserve the most gradation (in continuous tone images, at least) and I've been curious to see how this looks in high contrast histograms that for all practical purposes should be treated like vector art. And God would our lives be easier if we could cleanly get this all out of raster. I've had minimal success with Autotrace in Illustrator, but it's not my primary play space.

I'm going to click away right now and take a peek at channels in Photoshop.

EDIT: OK, after looking at a variety of images (various sizes and "cleanliness" levels) I can only conclude that green is generally slightly muddier than red or blue (as expected, which is a good thing when working with black and white photos) but to my eye the red and blue channels are equally sharp. In once case (the cleanest image I examined) I saw no difference between the channels. So when I clean up my next set of plans, I'm going to discard green and merge blue and red as a first sharpening step, then hit it with a curves adjustment. Sorry for all the geek speak, but once you get in and play with Photoshop a bit, this all makes sense.

-Matt
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Last edited by hoffboy; Dec 03, 2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Test Results
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:16 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,134 Posts
Planeman, I can't find a pixel aspect ratio choice.
Under the image button I have the following choices:

MODE
ADJUST
DUPLICATE
Apply image
Calculation

Image size
canvas size
rotate canvas
Crop trim
reveal all

When I open the menu image size, I have two sets of numbers.
pixel dimensions and document size.

The top pair are in pixels .
The bottom set is in inches.

Below that is resolution pixel per inch.

Constrain proportions and
resample image it is in Bicubic

I tried changing the above setting but the computer still shrinks the picture above 300 DPI.

I hope you know what I'm doing wrong.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:19 AM
pd1
Joined Jun 2006
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy View Post
There's infinite ways to skin this cat. I personally NEVER touch brightness and contrast. Ever. I'm more of a curves guy, or levels if I'm in a hurry. Just different paths to the same(ish) outcome. I'm in Photoshop every day for work, and I STILL do things inefficiently. Force of habit.

One thing I've been meaning to do with plan scans is to try working only in the red or blue channel (in RGB, natch) since green tends to preserve the most gradation (in continuous tone images, at least) and I've been curious to see how this looks in high contrast histograms that for all practical purposes should be treated like vector art. And God would our lives be easier if we could cleanly get this all out of raster. I've had minimal success with Autotrace in Illustrator, but it's not my primary play space.

I'm going to click away right now and take a peek at channels in Photoshop.

-Matt

Matt, You are going to have to learn to speak English.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:03 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Matt, You are going to have to learn to speak English.
Guilty as charged.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:24 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy View Post
I personally NEVER touch brightness and contrast. Ever. I'm more of a curves guy, or levels if I'm in a hurry.

-Matt
I start with Brightness/Contrast to blow out the white background and increase black contrast, then if I think it needs more I move to Curves to push the whites toward a whiter white and the same for backs to a blacker black. Curves allows me to increase the line thickness on a plan a tad too.

There is a way to increase the line thickness by adding pixels to the outer edges of a line one or more layers at a time. If you want to know just ask.

Planeman
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:26 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Planeman, I can't find a pixel aspect ratio choice.
Under the image button I have the following choices:

MODE
ADJUST
DUPLICATE
Apply image
Calculation

Image size
canvas size
rotate canvas
Crop trim
reveal all

When I open the menu image size, I have two sets of numbers.
pixel dimensions and document size.

The top pair are in pixels .
The bottom set is in inches.

Below that is resolution pixel per inch.

Constrain proportions and
resample image it is in Bicubic

I tried changing the above setting but the computer still shrinks the picture above 300 DPI.

I hope you know what I'm doing wrong.

Paul

I have a thought. What specific Photoshop are you using and what version?

Planeman
Old Dec 03, 2010, 12:31 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I start with Brightness/Contrast to blow out the white background and increase black contrast, then if I think it needs more I move to Curves to push the whites toward a whiter white and the same for backs to a blacker black. Curves allows me to increase the line thickness on a plan a tad too.

There is a way to increase the line thickness by adding pixels to the outer edges of a line one or more layers at a time. If you want to know just ask.

Planeman
Another EXTREMELY fast and accurate way to remove noise and sharpen lines is the "Blend If" function in Layer Styles. Just put a white layer below your working layer, then drag the "This layer" white slider in Blend If options toward the black. It's total magic, and also a great way to knock out complex things like lace, trees with sky in the background, etc.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:19 PM
pd1
Joined Jun 2006
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
I have a thought. What specific Photoshop are you using and what version?

Planeman
Photoshop 6.0 it's an older version.

Paul
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:29 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Photoshop 6.0 it's an older version.

Paul
I believe Pixel Aspect ratio switching was introduced in CS and refined from there, so if you're using 6, you won't have access to this function, at least not directly. Good thing there's so many ways to skin these cats!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:49 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
pd1, contact me offline at rufus.carswell@yahoo.com. I think I can help.

Planeman
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:08 PM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Pdf woes

I have a substantial number of pdf files posted on this thread that I cannot open. I have tried Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Acrobat 6 as well as Preview (I have a Mac). I have posted the error message so you can see what I see.

Before I trash anymore files, is there something I can do about this?

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:50 PM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Pdf Woes continued

Just for the heck of it I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader and got the enclosed message.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:05 PM
Dorset, England
Joined Aug 2005
179 Posts
Don't know what to say Arthur...I downloaded the Vickers Jockey and it opened fine (Acrobat 7). If you have just obtained the Acrobat Reader then that will be the latest spec so if there is still a problem then it points to the file and not the reading software you are using.

The files work for me so we can eliminate a flaw there, so your file download is getting corrupted somehow. Are you using a download accelerator?...if so try downloading conventionally and see if that works. Occasionally a file will complete a download but a small but vital part gets lost....has happened to me on rare occasions.

I assume you are getting the file by right click and 'Save target as'. Try again, if no joy then let me know what file you have just tried and I will get the same one and send it over via email....if you can open it that way it will eliminate the reader at least.

Regards

Bridon
Bridon is online now Find More Posts by Bridon
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
300 Posts
I am using foxit for windows without problems. You could try the Mac version.
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Last edited by sablatnic; Dec 04, 2010 at 03:40 PM.