HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:06 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,936 Posts
Many thanks, Planeman!
CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:26 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Unbelievable, sometimes you have let a plane model slip your memory until the plans are posted. This should be a real boost for our site. Thanks to all the plan contributors. Now if only planeman could post a few.

If I remember correctly it was hard to build from a berkley plan only as they usually left out the bulkhead dimensions and shapes to discourage it.

I am still looking for an english free flight cabin job that was my first really good free flight model. It was a kit.No matter how I try I just cannot remember what it was called. Someday hopefully I will spot one somewhere.Needless to say I will build another if I ever see a set of plans or the name of the model to find a plan. I have already searched fairly hard from time to time with no results so far.

Just a little 36 inch english high wing design with nothing that stands out particularily for refference. Except perhaps the cabin side had two separate window openings. It flew well and for several years until the engine wore out. Then I discovered pylon type free flight contest types for quite a few years. I must have run a hundred miles a year in those days.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry wilson View Post
Just a little 36 inch english high wing design.
One single clue, and my nose instantly turns in the direction of Vic Smeed...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Vic smeeds plans are nice but it was not one of his. Smeeds plans and models are great though.

The cabin sides were solid sheet I remember well and the fuselague fairly narrow.Maybe 1 1/2 inches but it has been too long to be sure. Fifty years have elapsed. Since it was kitted it should turn up somewhere with more time.

Although I have a scientific plan and templates that nobody or very few seem to have heard or know much about called the humdinger that was obviously kitted. A class B cabin model with a 52 inch wingspan and wing area of around four hundred and fifty square inches. So there must be a lot of obscure models out there.Even if kitted by a name firm at the time.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Yeah Barry, Berkeley often left off the fuselage formers and some other items it had on its die-crunched balsa parts sheets. What I usually do is find another plan of the same plane that has them and use it to get the fuselage cross sections.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
For a change of pace I am going to post these plans of the famous Roy Clough who could make anything fly! These were all from the 1950s and early 1960s and many ran in Popular Mechanics and the like. Clough's plans are simple but illustrate various scientific principles. I used to marvel at them when I was young.

Planeman
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:46 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
The last of the Clough plans.

Planeman
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:48 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I am almost affraid to ask this question, however, what better place. I know there have been numerous threads on the Vic Smeed Tomboy and it seems most people are just sick of hearing about it but I was wondering if anyone has the full size PDF of the Tomboy? I know there was a gentleman who posted a very clear resolution PDF on a past thread, however it is not full size. Thanks in advance for any help here.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:56 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I forgot to post the PDF to which I was refering which is not full size. Thanks again.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:19 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
What is full size? With a pdf it could be any size. Or am I an idoit?

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:17 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Full size here would mean the plan is scaled to 100% of the size of the original model. That is, is the model had a 60" wingspan, the plan would show the wing that size.

Planeman