HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Discussion
MS Vista update dumps some of xdp pgm - (NORTONS UPDATE)

I recently did an updade of vista and it removed the .exe of rssi scanner Tx diag and Rx diag .... when \i tried to reload them my Norton 360 flagged them as a "suspicious emit" and I had to shut it down to reload .... anybody else had this problem?

Frank
fsharp is offline Find More Posts by fsharp
Last edited by JimDrew; Jun 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
The recent update of Norton's removed the programs, not Vista. You need to re-install our software and then for each of our programs you need to right click on the icon. This will make a pop-up menu appear. Now, click on the Nortons link. This will bring up info about the program as seen through Nortons. The 3rd info item allows you to "trust" the application. Click the "trust" link and Nortons will no longer automatically delete our file.

Our applications are compressed and encrypted and Norton's SONAR has an issue with this.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Jim ... thanks for the info .... in order to re load I have to turn off nortons .... when I right click and mouse over or click on the nortons icon I get a pop up that has Scan or add to backup or exclude from backup that's all .... any more ideas?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
I was able to re-install with Nortons running. Immediately afterwards I went to each icon and then allowed Nortons to trust the files. Perhaps your Norton's is different? We only found this problem because Scott machine runs Vista and Nortons. The rest of our machines run Panda.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Norton is a POS.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:11 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
834 Posts
Or simply go into the quarantine and have Norton put the file back . . . and then you can trust it.

Oh, and Norton is not a POS, that title is held firmly by Vista in this case. If M/S ever got their OS right, all the anti-virus companies would be out of business, since there would be no weaknesses. Scary, isn't it, that an entire industry thrives based soley on the inability of another company to get its product right, isn't it?

- Tim
tadawson is offline Find More Posts by tadawson
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
Just tried having norton restore the file .... norton said it had done that but as soon as I tried to use the rxdiag pgm norton flagged it and removed it .... I've sent an note to Norton ..... will see what they say .... Norton came with this machine when I was in England and had to replace my old one after a video card failure .... think I'll look elsewhere when Norton expires ... would not have had Vista if I could have gotten around it but had no choice ...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Funny but AVG makes a version for Linux and will probably make one for Mac in the near future. No OS is perfect, only too low on the pole to make it worth writing a virus.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsharp View Post
Just tried having norton restore the file .... norton said it had done that but as soon as I tried to use the rxdiag pgm norton flagged it and removed it .... I've sent an note to Norton ..... will see what they say .... Norton came with this machine when I was in England and had to replace my old one after a video card failure .... think I'll look elsewhere when Norton expires ... would not have had Vista if I could have gotten around it but had no choice ...
Restore it, then *TRUST* it (as per the directions others have given above) and only *THEN* try to run it! Simply restoring the file does not tell the Norton scan engine to not remove it again . . . that is where the right click on the file and "trust" comes into play!

- Tim
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
I think Vista is an incredibly stable version of Windows. Unlike Win3.1/95/98/2K/ME/XP/PRO/etc. I have never had an issue with any of our Vista installs. I hope Windows 7 is as good. From a programming standpoint, Vista finally imposes restrictions that were suppose to be imposed about 3 OS's ago, which breaks a lot of software written that did not comply with the way Windows is suppose to work. I think that is the biggest issue people are having - this is especially true of drivers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:56 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I think Vista is an incredibly stable version of Windows. Unlike Win3.1/95/98/2K/ME/XP/PRO/etc. I have never had an issue with any of our Vista installs. I hope Windows 7 is as good. From a programming standpoint, Vista finally imposes restrictions that were suppose to be imposed about 3 OS's ago, which breaks a lot of software written that did not comply with the way Windows is suppose to work. I think that is the biggest issue people are having - this is especially true of drivers.
Then you sir, and an exception to the rule! Most major companies have chosen to not deploy Vista since it is such a pig, and remain on XP. I have personally seen numerous Vista systems self destruct almost completely due to bad code in the OS, requiring extensive work or a full reload. Not to mention the stupid amount of system resources Vista requires to do the same tasks as XP. Just plain not worth it on any front . . . and I doubt that major corporate IT departments would have avoided it like a disease if it didn't truly suck . . . .

- Tim
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:38 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Where I work is still on XP and will be that way for at least another year. They want to wait for the first service pack for Win7 to arrive and see how things look then. Probably more than 2000 computers on the network.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Where I work is still on XP and will be that way for at least another year. They want to wait for the first service pack for Win7 to arrive and see how things look then. Probably more than 2000 computers on the network.
My employer has a couple hundred thousand (yes, 100,000 . . .) employees and stayed on XP as well. The last smaller company I was with got a few systems with Vista, and promptly regretted it - most of those users went back to XP as well.

- Tim
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Trust me, I know the past issues with Windows. I have been using it since it was a DOS based app that called BIOS functions to draw frames! I just have never experienced any problems with Vista since its release, as long as the apps you are using follow the rules. Vista actually made me finally follow the rules for driver integration and program variable storage. You just can't stick things into the registery whenever you feel like it, and you certainly can no longer store data in C:\Program Files\ anymore. Its very easy to cause Vista to throw a fit and probably crash and burn, but those things are no-no's anyways. I guess maybe Vista is no longer tolerent to things you shouldn't be doing, resulting in how it is perceived from a stability standpoint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2007
24 Posts
sorry to start a Vista war .... My version of Norton did not have the trust option but I could exclude all xps files from scan and sonar which I did and everything seems to be ok .... probably because I had to buy this machine in England .... also made for a funny keyboard .... thanks for the help ...