HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2444 View Post
I had no idea you guys were using a switch for your motor.
I personally would not want to do that.
Full power and Off does not give you much flexibility.
I don't understand why you cant assign airbrakes on a switch and the motor on channel 3.
I don't own a 10C so I am not familiar with your tx.
I would rather have the airbrakes on a switch and the motor on a proportional throttle stick.
Their may be times you don't want the motor running full throttle.
I know I don't run my motor full throttle all the time.
By the way.........nice work on the scratch build Greg
Your view and thoughts are those of someone who comes from the conventional power plane arena where throttle is required to actually fly the plane. But with a sailplane/hotliner there is no need for power accept as a way to gain altitude as quickly as possible while adding the least weight for that altitude. A glider, powered or not, requires the precision and proportional control of the butterfly/flaps etc., most instances during landing you are constantly adjusting the butterfly during landing to attain the proper glide slope and speed.

With the 9 and 10c, you can still have the throttle on the stick, just that when butterfly is enabled, the stick no longer controls the throttle.

Another possible alternative would be to have the throttle on the side slider, simply open the switch/mode menu page and the "arbk-func" should be changed from "stk" to switch"D". Now the butterfly is on the stick and throttle on the side slider.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,413 Posts
You guys that are slamming outngo are perhaps forgetting about the startup current on a motor. Brushless motors are still going to draw a big spike of current due to an instant startup. I'm assuming that this is what he was talking about. It's just not the same when using the throttle lever since none of us can instantly move the lever. And we shouldn't anyway.

But all is not lost. Many ESC's have a "soft start" feature to ramp the power on just to avoid the big start up current spike on the hotter low turn count super powerful motors. So if you can find an ESC that has that feature then you can easily use it with the landing gear switch without any concerns.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,955 Posts
Most ESC's have a soft start, and that is the normal mode for this type of application.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:56 AM
Birmingham, UK
Joined Apr 2007
510 Posts
I like the sound of switching the throttle stick between airbrake and motor speed, I must have a play to see if it's possible with an FF8 (8UAPS?).
BrumBob is online now Find More Posts by BrumBob
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
623 Posts
"I have a hefty motor and it might just be too powerful to use with a simple on-off switch".

What Andy said.....
asat is online now Find More Posts by asat
Old Jul 01, 2010, 05:58 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
On my 9C I can put the throttle almost anywhere.

I assume you can do the same with the 10C. Just plug it into a different channel. You could put the throttle control on the stick, on a dial, on a slider or on a switch. I really don't see any reason why you would have a serious limitation as to how you manage the throttle on a 10C. In fact, if I am not mistaken the 10C has 10 proportional channels and 2 switched channels. Right?

So plug it into any of the lower 10 channels, then assign that channel to some control. ESC don't really care what channel they are on nor do they care what contol device you use. The relationship of channel 3 to the left stick is a soft relationship on all these advanced radios. That is just the default position.

As for ESC settings, when there is a soft start or a soft brake feature on the ESC, that is what I set on my gliders This is not a 3D plane where I need instant response, so soft start and soft brake work well.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 01, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 07:33 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggergk View Post
At the moment the bird has not flown. I have a hefty motor and it might just be too powerful to use with a simple on-off switch.

Gregg
Looks like a real labour of love. Looking at your photos, the very high thrustline and thus strong nose down pitching moment under power might be a reason to stick with a proportional throttle control, at least until you are familiar with how she behaves under power. Even with a super slow/soft start that some ESCs offer, full thrust within a second or so with no way to modulate it might be interesting at low airspeed and close to the ground. Being able to apply part power until you have some airspeed, pitch authority and altitude might prevent tears.

All the best for your first flight!

Scirocco
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:48 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
On my 9C I have the throttle on my left slider, that way I can have crow braking on Ch3 under my left thumb and the throttle slider on my left index finger and can easily switch from one to the other. If I am short of the runway, thumb forward on ch3 to take off crow and finger back on slider to throttle up.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:13 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
LEFT STICK IS NOT CHANNEL 3 OR THE THROTTLE ON ADVANCED RADIOS

On limited function standard radios and many introductory computer radios, channels are connected to and are fixed to certain control devices. If we use the Hitec/Futaba standard, then:

Ch 1 - ailerons
Ch 2 = elevator
ch 3 = throttle
ch 4 = rudder
ch 5= gear
ch 6 = flaps

If you look at a Hitec Laser 4 or 6, for example, these channels are fixed and can not be changed.

Even on a Hitec Optic 6 Sport, a computer radio, or a Futaba 6 EX, they really can't be changed.

But on advanced radios, like the Futaba 9C, JR 9303, Multiplex EVO, and the like, these channel relationships are flexible and assignable. They may be set up in a "standard" fashion out of the box, but that is just for convenience.

In this case, if you have your throttle plugged into channel 3 and you are controling it from the left slider than you left stick is NOT in any way related to channel 3.

Your crow braking is being controlled from your left stick. This is a standard mix on the 9C. If you are using the standard channel assignments on your 9C, then as you move the stick you are manipulating Channels 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 all at once. Note that Channel 3 is not in any way involved, despite the fact that you are moving the left stick.

Why do I make such a big deal about this? Because this mistaken idea that your left stick is your throttle and always your throttle is wrong. The idea that your left stick is channel 3 ( Hitec/Futaba standard) is also wrong.

This leads to confusion when setting up advanced radios. People have a problem separating, in their mind, the throttle and the left stick. That relationship is a limitation of less capable radios.
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 05, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:05 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
I am in the exact same position. the question that was originally asked is can the left stick control the throttle (esc) in the glider setup of the Futaba 10C. As far as I can tell, it can not.

I just finished programming my new FVK Signal full house e-sailplane and also wanted to use the left stick for throttle (and one of the sliders for butterfly instead), Just couldn't do it. I like the throttle on the stick, both because I am used to it and because I do not like the sudden torque of the prop (I also use the prop on occasions as an airbrake).

this is what I ended up doing with my 10C:
- left stick control the crow/butterfly.
- left slider control the throttle (esc)
- right slider control the changing camber of the wing

all seems to work well, test flight soon.

Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Jul 09, 2010, 07:43 AM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oded mazor View Post
I am in the exact same position. the question that was originally asked is can the left stick control the throttle (esc) in the glider setup of the Futaba 10C. As far as I can tell, it can not.

Oded.

A buddy has a 10c and we just set it up and had no issues at all putting the throttle on the stick in glider mode and also having the butterfly on the stick as well, in fact it was the default setting just like the 9c. It isnt how I would set it up though. You cant have the butterfly operable and the throttle operable at the same time. I have used a powered plane mode instead of a glider mode in the past on the 9c where the airbrake function CAN be assigned to a slider and retain a full time throttle on the stick.

I have NEVER had a ESC blow at WOT, every single ESC failure I have had, occured at part throttle. Since then I have seen the light and changed to the switch throttle.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Last edited by talonxracer; Jul 09, 2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:46 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oded mazor View Post

I just finished programming my new FVK Signal full house e-sailplane and also wanted to use the left stick for throttle (and one of the sliders for butterfly instead), Just couldn't do it. I like the throttle on the stick, both because I am used to it and because I do not like the sudden torque of the prop (I also use the prop on occasions as an airbrake).

this is what I ended up doing with my 10C:
- left stick control the crow/butterfly.
- left slider control the throttle (esc)
- right slider control the changing camber of the wing

all seems to work well, test flight soon.

Oded.
don't use the glider profile. Use the acro or airplane profile. Use Airbrake instead of crow. Should work fine.