HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:11 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Discussion
new MK Octo frame

Finished a new Octo frame design for use with MK components. Same weight as stock MK frame but more rigid and easier to replace/repair components

Carbon fiber & aluminum used throughout.

Test flights next week.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:21 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
Finished a new Octo frame design for use with MK components. Same weight as stock MK frame but more rigid and easier to replace/repair components

Carbon fiber & aluminum used throughout.

Test flights next week.
very nice. just out of curiosity, how is it controlled? as a quad? w/ tx mixing?
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:49 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
it is controlled with Mikrokopter Octo software loaded onto the Flight Control board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:10 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
925 Posts
Very nice DJ, now is it possible to make it foldable?
ddmt is online now Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:08 AM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
looks great AZ .....looking forward to sky time ....

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:16 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Very Interesting, very interesting indeed.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,541 Posts
Yes I second the foldable design.

And if you can make replacement parts easily obtainable (Like T-Rex helicopter tailbooms) then this will sell like hotcakes!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:41 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
AZ, I see some stock Gaui 425 or X5 parts there.. did you shorten the stock tail booms, or...? Hard to determine scale from the photos...
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Bob, you are correct. They are X5/550 booms and clamps. I simply cut two 550 booms exactly in half (11.25")

Replacement parts for this frame are ridiculously cheap. The booms come out to about $3.50 each and the motor plates are G10 at about $10 each.

Test flew just now. Man this thing is so much more rigid than the factory MK Octo frame. Flies GREAT!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
Thanks, AZ... the reason I asked is because I want something a bit larger than 330X size, and I was looking at both the 550 booms and the X5 boom clamps earlier this week, thinking along those exact same lines. Unfortunately, all the boom clamps disappeared from stock (now I know where they went... grin). I can use the stock FRP 425/550 clamps, although they're a bit narrow for the motor mount end. I have a sizable supply of high-quality 3mm light plywood I can use for the center plates (C/F is great but hard to work with). Thanks for sharing the R & D work so far. I'm just getting into the multi-rotor game and learning all I can.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:47 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
@ AZ,
Nice frame!
@Bob,
This might help you a bit: Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRCnut View Post
Thanks, AZ... the reason I asked is because I want something a bit larger than 330X size, and I was looking at both the 550 booms and the X5 boom clamps earlier this week, thinking along those exact same lines. Unfortunately, all the boom clamps disappeared from stock (now I know where they went... grin). I can use the stock FRP 425/550 clamps, although they're a bit narrow for the motor mount end. I have a sizable supply of high-quality 3mm light plywood I can use for the center plates (C/F is great but hard to work with). Thanks for sharing the R & D work so far. I'm just getting into the multi-rotor game and learning all I can.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam View Post
Bob, you are correct. They are X5/550 booms and clamps. I simply cut two 550 booms exactly in half (11.25")
What clamps are you guys talking about?
Anyone have a link?
outsider787 is offline Find More Posts by outsider787
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
AZ and Jim, thanks for the helpful info. I've read most of the info from the Mega Index, and I still have a number of questions, so let me give you some background first:
My scratch-built quad (1st attempt) is done and ready for the electronics setup. It's basically a 330X knockoff built from Depron, Lite Ply, and C/F rods. I got started on all this because I wanted to see if my Aurora 9 was capable of handling the required quad pitch/roll/yaw control with no need for onboard mixing. That part is done and working. The quad setup is:
4-Hyperion Z2205-46 motors, 4 Gaui 210 gyros, and 4 Hyperion Atlas ESCs. So far, I've tested each motor/ESC/gyro set individually, and they work as hoped, with some minor
quirks. The TX mixing does what it's supposed to according to the servo monitor screen. Power setup is a 2S-2200 pack supplying power to the system through the ESC's BECs (all 4 ESCs supply power.. the Aurora's telemetry function shows 6.0 V. at the Rx)
Yaw control is via torque reaction, no gyro there yet. All mixing functions were tested by firing it up with all 4 motors/ESCs but no gyros.
First, some basic gyro setup questions.
1. Can I get away with using a single Rx channel output to control the gain on all 4 gyros? After all the TX mixing required, I don't have enough channels left to use an independent gain channel for each gyro.
2. I'm guessing that each gyro's "Limit" setting should be set to max, to avoid restricting the RPM range... correct?
3. Should gyro output be set to 'digital servo' rather than analog when driving ESCs?
Now, here's the quirk: When I power up (with only one gyro/ESC/motor connected), the receiver initializes (no linkup delay at all), the gyro initializes, and then the ESC signals three beeps, but will not activate the motor until I move the throttle stick up and down slightly. Once that's done, the ESC tells me it's now armed, and the motor RPM follows the throttle, elevator, aileron, or rudder stick movements as hoped.
According to the ESC documentation, three beeps says, "I am in programming mode", but the Atlas ESCs are programmed via IR controller (same as Scorpion), and the only transmitter-programmable setting is throttle endpoints. I can set throttle endpoints OK (either with our without the gyro in the circuit).
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:52 PM
Virginia Mountains
Joined Mar 2010
132 Posts
Looks nice. How does it do with a heavy yaw?

Kirk
kirk222 is offline Find More Posts by kirk222
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:27 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider787 View Post
What clamps are you guys talking about?
Anyone have a link?
Here ya go... http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=5528