HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Discussion
Bell Balancing on an OutRunner motor

Can someone tell me the best way to balance the bell of an OutRunner, I have not had any luck doing it.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:22 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
You might try getting it on a shaft that extends a ways from both ends and then using a magnetic prop balancer on it. Another way would be to rests the shaft ends on two parallel knife blades set an appropriate distance apart.

Rolling the magnet housing in the balancer will let you see if the shaft housing and outer shell are parallel or not, I wouldn't try to use the magnet housing unless the shaft and magnet housing are concentric.

When it is resting on the knife edges the heavy side will go to the bottom, add small amounts of epoxy or JB MetalWeld, or maybe another two part epoxy to an open area (like the interstices between the magnets) on the light side to correct the balance. As long as the adhesive is kept even with or below the tops of the magnets is should be OK.

I have two Torque T4014-570 motors and have noticed that the interstices between the magnet are not fully filled with adhesive, some have more than others. I assumed that might have been the result of some balancing during manufacture. I've never had any out of balance issued with them.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,271 Posts
Is this the towerpro motor?
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Is this the towerpro motor?
I thought I saw a question that was in regard to the Torque Revolution T5014-570 motor but I don't see any specific motor mentioned now. This is the motor I was talking about in it's present version (the T5014-570 became the T5016-500):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692762

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes