HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2005
86 Posts
Discussion
"WOT" Trainer.Opinion from owners?

I am after my first model and looking in mags liked the "WOT" trainer.Looks a bit different,not boxy.
Thing is visiting shops to get one i get mixed opinions from the guys there.Several say it is way too "floaty" and "it never comes down" and 1 guy said quality is poor.
Would like to hear owners views if any please.
rubble is offline Find More Posts by rubble
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
Not an owner, but as an instructor I've given one of our club members' WOT Trainer two or three flights.

We encountered no problems, and the pupil found it easier to fly than the model he'd been using up until recently (sorry, can't remember what it was), mainly because it could be slowed down to a speed that he was happy with. Having said that, the landing was a little extended because of its floatiness, but I'm sure we'll sort that out once I become more familiar with the model.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
UK
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Cant offer any advice on the WOT Trainer unfortunatly, iv only had a go on it on Phoenix not in real life. Saying that, I am a noob to this, and I have bought a WOT as my first plane but its the WOT4 MK2, im half way through the build.

Its up to you what you want at the end of the day but I know people are going to say a WOT4 is not a training plane, but at the end of the day you can teach yourself to fly through a club with it, plus, the WOT trainer has less aerobatics than the WOT4 MK2 which can perform more and is quite a good flyer
dazzyboi is offline Find More Posts by dazzyboi
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:14 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
As it happens, I also maidened another new member's WOT 4 last Sunday. First time I've flown a WOT 4 but, apart from having to take off with full up elevator to stop it nosing over, and then having it glide the whole length of a rugby field on landing, it was an uneventful flight.

I would agree with others who say that it's not an ideal trainer, mainly because its no-dihedral wing makes it equally at home either way up, but my pupil was able to fly a few circuits with it without too much drama. So, you can learn on it with an instructor.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn