HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Deep in in the heart of TX
Joined Jul 2006
204 Posts
Yeah, I could see; if I hovered close at eye level; the servo itself jittering. I just couldn't tell if it was from slop in the ball link( putting canopy grommets behind the ball links on the swash also stopped it), slop in the servo itself or just a dirty servo. Actually I didn't consider intermittent power loss. I've had the servos jittering after powering the heli up for a while; so the breaks in the battery lead causing a drop in power to the RX may have been the problem.
There was considerable slop in the servo though. Unfortunately I changed both at the same time, so it was 1 of the 2 things I repaired. Just can't say for sure which 1
meldar9 is offline Find More Posts by meldar9
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I have never considered replacing a servo for that reason. I will have to look closer to see that.
Yup, a bad servo will drain your battery lickiddy split. It's almost always the ELE servo as this is the one mostly used. I had a bad one go on my V4. I held my ear very close to the servo and heard slight chattering when given commands and my 3 batts were not holding out well at all. Once I changed out the servo, I was good to go.

Sorry for the comparison of the V4 and 120SR but, in my eyes...same, same

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Yup, a bad servo will drain your battery lickiddy split. It's almost always the ELE servo as this is the one mostly used. I had a bad one go on my V4. I held my ear very close to the servo and heard slight chattering when given commands and my 3 batts were not holding out well at all. Once I changed out the servo, I was good to go.

Sorry for the comparison of the V4 and 120SR but, in my eyes...same, same

Mike.
I've read on another forum that Deoxit does the trick for getting them to work again. I bought some, but haven't yet applied it.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:53 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Big news: My Champ flew home!!! It only took 3 days, but it found it's way back down the tree. Kind of like when your cat climbs one and pretends it is stuck. It's in great shape except for a few creases in the foam that I taped and back to normal. Thanks for all the tips, guys, because now I have a fishing line and weights ready for the next time!!! Also, I realize now that I have to design a rescue course for my SR120. I'm going to create a heli with a line and practice picking things up. I'm really wondering if I could do a heli rescue, but I'm going to have to build courage.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:07 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
592 Posts
Saxguy:
Another method of plane tree retrieval is a paintball gun and shoot it down. I am having trouble with the DX8 file that you sent me. The tail rotor does not turn, only the main rotor turns. If I reverse the rudder in the radio only the tail rotor spins. It works fine on my sons DX6, so it must be something in my DX8. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!!!!
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Man, it's not the file causing that. You can check, though, by binding to another model number. Without the settings, just bind to either aero or heli--either way--and it'll work just like the stock tx (only better.) If then your tail rotor works, it's would be the file. Reload the file if that is it.

However, I'm sure it's not your DX8. It's the motor. Check where your tail motor plugs into the board and the connection at the motor. If that is good, try another motor--they go out a lot and they aren't too expensive.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,230 Posts
[QUOTE=Saxguy1000;22541184]Big news: My Champ flew home!!! Hey Sax, Glad to hear you got her back. Realy lucky thats all the damage she had. WS
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:23 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
heheheheh......this lil heli is awesome.....I missed it.....
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
823 Posts
I wondering if anyone has had an Xtreme main motor that runs CCW. I rewired the poles (red in rear psit and black in front) and it still runs CCW. Reinstalled the stock motor and it runs & flies fine. Are there switches somewhere on the motor to make it run in reverse?
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:38 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I wondering if anyone has had an Xtreme main motor that runs CCW. I rewired the poles (red in rear psit and black in front) and it still runs CCW. Reinstalled the stock motor and it runs & flies fine. Are there switches somewhere on the motor to make it run in reverse?
Don
Sounds as if they soldered the wires to wrong points. I've had 5 of them and not had that problem. If you notify your vendor, they'll change it out. And, if not PM me and I'll give you another option.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
823 Posts
Quote:
Sounds as if they soldered the wires to wrong points. I've had 5 of them and not had that problem. If you notify your vendor, they'll change it out. And, if not PM me and I'll give you another option.
Thanks, I'll have to dig back to find out where I got it. I've had it for at least 2 months laying around. If I can't find it I'll PM you.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Big news: My Champ flew home!!! It only took 3 days, but it found it's way back down the tree. Kind of like when your cat climbs one and pretends it is stuck. It's in great shape except for a few creases in the foam that I taped and back to normal. Thanks for all the tips, guys, because now I have a fishing line and weights ready for the next time!!! Also, I realize now that I have to design a rescue course for my SR120. I'm going to create a heli with a line and practice picking things up. I'm really wondering if I could do a heli rescue, but I'm going to have to build courage.
YAAAY!!!.....WOOHOO!!!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like he would need to reverse the polarity by splicing the JST at the motor. Black to red and red to black. This is what me thinks

Sax, a PM? We all want to learn. No secrets here

Mike.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:52 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
592 Posts
Quote:
Man, it's not the file causing that. You can check, though, by binding to another model number. Without the settings, just bind to either aero or heli--either way--and it'll work just like the stock tx (only better.) If then your tail rotor works, it's would be the file. Reload the file if that is it.

However, I'm sure it's not your DX8. It's the motor. Check where your tail motor plugs into the board and the connection at the motor. If that is good, try another motor--they go out a lot and they aren't too expensive.
Saxguy1000:
I am glad you got your champ back. I bound it to my sons DX6 and the heli worked fine. I will try your suggestions, I can always manually put the settings in another model, there are many options. I was hoping you or someone would have a brilliant idea and I change one setting and be done.
Thanks
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Saxguy1000:
I am glad you got your champ back. I bound it to my sons DX6 and the heli worked fine. I will try your suggestions, I can always manually put the settings in another model, there are many options. I was hoping you or someone would have a brilliant idea and I change one setting and be done.
Thanks
Gary
Man, I'm getting one of these babies!!!! I would easily be able to rescue anything from the trees with this do gooder! In fact you could deliver logs to your yard for winter firewood.