HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:03 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
I'm kind of new to helis and had to do my first repair on my SR 120 after a year of flying it. The main shaft started to wobble in flight, then broke about halfway up it. Luckily it snapped on the ground. I replaced the shaft, put everything back exactly as I took it off, but now when I get it in the air, I cannot get it to go forward hardly, even with full input. It also wants to go in a circular motion in the air now, like it was flushing down a toilet bowl. Any advice? Sorry if this is an obvious dumb question, but I'm a plane guy and don't know how to fix these. I appreciate any help you guys are willing to give. Thanks in advance!
Wait, you're new to helis but you've been flying your 120 for a year? And this is the first repair you've had to do? I've never gone more than a few flights between repairs myself. How many flights do you have on your 120?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Wait, you're new to helis but you've been flying your 120 for a year? And this is the first repair you've had to do? I've never gone more than a few flights between repairs myself. How many flights do you have on your 120?
Haha! When I say I've been "flying" it for over a year, you have to understand that doesn't mean everyday. I fly my heli in the backyard when I don't have the time to load up all of my planes and head out to some open area to fly. I fly this maybe 2 or 3 times a week. More in the winter when there's snow on the ground and I can't take off/land my planes. I probably have between 50 and 100 flights on it.

When I say I'm "new" to helis, I mean I don't know anything about them or how to set them up. I seem to be able to fly just fine, but I have no idea how to make adjustments to them. As far as other helis that can go inverted and fly inverted, I have no idea how that works, or how to set up my transmitter to control pitch or any of the terminology. I'm a heli dummy, other than the flying part...
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:52 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
If you haven't already done so I highly recommend that you download Mr. Salt's "e-guide for the MSR and 120 SR". It includes a lot of tips and tricks for these two helis, including settings for the dx7 and dx6i. You can download it as a pdf file (the only way to get it) for about $9 at

www.rchelicopterfun.com
Used this link to order the e-book today. For $9.95 it is well worth it. I have so much to learn and this helps a great deal. Still working my way through it and have found so many tips already. Thanks for the info.

Runnikee, I am in the same boat with you as to your last paragraph. I have sooooo much to learn about these.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:58 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
I've flown my 120 a lot now and decided to do some maintenance. I barely ever crash to be honest but I had noticed that the heli had started becoming a little 'rough' around the edges. The motor was starting to feel underpowered and the heli was turning in the air when I made any fast changes to the throttle. I also noticed on 'tickover' on the floor that it was a bit rattly. Especially with the Xtreme canopy that seems to make the motor seem louder.

So ....

Change of motor to Xtreme. Power to spare now but still the noisy tick over.

The reason I noticed that tickover was that before take off, I set the trim so that the props are spinning on the floor. This way, landings don't make the heli spin around when you stop the blades and you get a much more 'scale type' of landing.

Change of props - still ticking.
Change of flybar - yes ... ticking.
Change the motor drive wheel - no ticking!!!

I haven't crashed but it seems that not only has the motor got worn out but the wheel at the bottom had also become worn. I checked it through a very high power magnifying lens and had real problems finding anything wrong until I got to one cog which looked very slightly rounded. To the eye, it was impossible to see.

That's the only thing that I could find wrong with that wheel but it was enough to cause the heli to rattle in the air like an old boiler.

Just shows how minute some of the things are that can cause a heli to be a 'rough' flyer and how useful it is to be able to check it or if in doubt, just replace these cheap parts.

It's now got me looking at all of my helis in a much closer way.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Thanks for the report. This why I recommend just buy the cheaper OEM parts and replace regularly. You have to have a schedule of check and replace just like your vehicle.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Ian, by "tickover" do you mean this?...

I had a hard touch and go (unintentional) on pavement and instantly got a ratcheting sound coming from my main spur gear. Took it inside and had to go around it 2 or 3 times before I finally found a microscopic pebble (or something tiny and white) embedded way down in the bottom of the "v" between two teeth... had to pick it out with a dental pick. Got outside and it started doing it again... I had either not got it all the way out or there was more than one. Was really surprised how such a tiny spec of "whatever" could cause such a loud ticking... doesn't take much.

Anyway, was just wondering if that's the sound you were talking about (I know you fixed it).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Ian, by "tickover" do you mean this?...

I had a hard touch and go (unintentional) on pavement and instantly got a ratcheting sound coming from my main spur gear. Took it inside and had to go around it 2 or 3 times before I finally found a microscopic pebble (or something tiny and white) embedded way down in the bottom of the "v" between two teeth... had to pick it out with a dental pick. Got outside and it started doing it again... I had either not got it all the way out or there was more than one. Was really surprised how such a tiny spec of "whatever" could cause such a loud ticking... doesn't take much.

Anyway, was just wondering if that's the sound you were talking about (I know you fixed it).
Hi North,

Yes - that's it!! I have the blades turning slowly on the ground when I land it so that I can keep the heli straight and there's no twist as the 120 often does when you land. It was then that I noticed that 'pebble' effect but sped up, it becomes part of the general clatter of the motor and makes it a bit rough on flying too!!

The bits of debris inside the cogs look like rocks through a microscope but eventually I just found a rounded off edge on one tooth with a slight jagged bit missing on a corner. I think it must have worn away and finally broke off.

I don't really crash the 120 ever because I've been flying for too long and I fly like a Nancy. (That means delicately!!!) I don't take too many chances with helis because past experience has shown me just how annoying it is to be permanently in a state of repair. (Let alone permanently buying parts!!)

However, I blame it on you and those skids. You got me looking more carefully at my old 120sr and all I can say is that it was slightly ..... er .... 'rougher' to fly than all of my other helis until I decided to do an overhaul and suddenly I had a new heli on my hands. It became much better behaved.

BTW - you really didn't deserve that odd comment from our 'ex-pilot' yesterday. Those kind of things do get to me since computers seem to bring out quite an ugly side of people when they're so anonymous. I know exactly what you meant by that comment and he was totally out of order.

John Salt's book is a great pointer and you were quite right - much of what has been said here has been built up from his book and even further developed. I have no idea what being an ex-pilot has to do with it especially as quite a few of us are not 'ex' pilots!!!

This is such a welcoming and friendly site (as I found) and the huge amount of knowledge and help that I've had from you guys has given me a lot of pleasure and saved me money, so you really didn't deserve that at all.
Last edited by iancraig10; Aug 06, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:13 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Thanks, man... and glad your bird is flying well.

Yeah, doesn't matter 'cause apparently he's gone and I wasn't going to answer his "what's your point?" comment anyway, but I just meant that the info in Mr. Salts book appears here over the course of the entire thread in one form or another... an item here, an item there. If someone's having problems, if you know the answer and can help them, of course you're going to help them regardless of where your info came from. No one is going and posting the guy's book in whole here in the forum. And many here have discovered the fixes and tips on their own... which just coincidentally happens to be things that are also in Salt's book. There's no malicious intent to take money out of anyone's pocket... we're all here to help each other if we can.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Exactly. The Salt book is a great place to get everything running smoothly, but once you get a bump ..... then what?

It has to be here. Probably every known problem turns up somewhere on here for each heli and as I found out .... some of those problems with them are SO small, they can't be seen with the naked eye.

I reckon there are some MASSIVE books that could be formed from the stuff here .... all the problems and fixing of faults after crashes, plus the tweaks that appear as well.

I must admit, I have done a lot of reading on this site. More than writing.

The Xtreme motor was a shock .... a lot more power than my old tired out motor and before I know it, the 120 is up in the sky somewhere and I can't see it!!!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Took my SR 120 in to the LHS to see why it keeps doing the whole toilet bowl motion. Changed out EVERYTHING with parts from a new heli, one at a time, and it STILL does it. Stumped the LHS. Even took parts out of my SR 120 and put them in the new one, and the new one flew fine with my parts! Changed the board in both even, still did it.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
My ancient MSR did that for a while until I changed the dog bones coming from the Propellers. The blade grip's balls were slightly too large for the bones and were gripping them too tightly.

I guess you've changed the blade grips though.

Another thing I had with the 120sr was that although the screw holds the head assembly tight, before tightening, I tried a slight twist before tightening down in order to make sure that the bones were going through the guides vertically. They were also a cause for TBE.

The 120sr is one of those helis that seems to swing around as though it has a mind of its own sometimes!!

You probably know this, but TBE is normally associated with the flybar not being able to move around freely enough.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
I'm kind of new to helis and had to do my first repair on my SR 120 after a year of flying it. The main shaft started to wobble in flight, then broke about halfway up it. Luckily it snapped on the ground. I replaced the shaft, put everything back exactly as I took it off, but now when I get it in the air, I cannot get it to go forward hardly, even with full input. It also wants to go in a circular motion in the air now, like it was flushing down a toilet bowl. Any advice? Sorry if this is an obvious dumb question, but I'm a plane guy and don't know how to fix these. I appreciate any help you guys are willing to give. Thanks in advance!
Ha, ha,..Hi Runn, These Guys got all funny and all and forgot about you. Welcome. So you tore down the bird to replace the shaft (stock i assume). Grab your heli from the bottom of the frame and with the other hand grab the top rotor and pull it up and down. Does it feel like there is a lot of "up & down" play? You could have put the shaft collar on upside down. The collar has a raised lip on one side the faces toward the bearing race. If you look at the collar closely and see a lip. It's upside down. Very common mistake. We were just chatting about this a few pages back.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:43 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
iancraig10: Thank you for all of the suggestions. And know, I don't know anything already I'm a planes guy and the 120 SR is just something for the backyard when I can't go flying my planes. I appreciate all of your advice.

Chap1012: I DID have that collar on upside down, which we figured out at the LHS. Switching that around acutally didn't fix the problem. That's a great call though and was something that I did have on wrong. Still have the problem though

I'll try iancraig's ideas though and see if it helps. I appreciate the help from you both. I actually was going to buy a 130x today, but since I couldn't even figure out what is wrong with my 120, I figured I didn't need to go more advanced in helis :/
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:57 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,631 Posts
You may have to change the "O" rings and feathering shaft. You know what TBE is right?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:07 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Runnikee,

When it's doing the toilet bowl thing is it always pointing at the same heading... for example, north?
RCG Plus Member