HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:10 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post

Are you sure it was 2meters to the left and not 2ft? That's a hell of a drift...

Yes, it is more like two feet, as the kitchen area I am trying it in is only 8 feet square. Thanks for the tips, I will try and be more assertive on take off[/QUOTE]

Hi, Thats a very small area for the 120 but can be done. When I first got my 120 and was flying inside if I was slow on the throttle, at about 6" or 1' she would drift left very fast and I would shut her down and start over and she would to the same over and over. You will find that with a little faster lift and at about 3 to 4' she will smooth out and should be able to get a good hover.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:05 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,851 Posts
I just made a significant discovery. Last night my tail motor got so hot that it melted the rotor so that the enlarged hole caused the heli to spin w/o rotor control.. Also, it Had been melting the hot glue I applied to keep it in the holder. So, it was super calm this morning and I just slapped on the first spare I had, a Solo Pro 328 tail rotor. Wow! This thing is not bendy like the 120's. It's got the same exact specs except it is stiff and you know what? I just flew for 8:15 and the tail rotor wasn't hot and the hot glue wasn't melted. It never occurred to me before that my tail motors were probably burning out because of my flexing or mishapen rotors.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I just made a significant discovery. Last night my tail motor got so hot that it melted the rotor so that the enlarged hole caused the heli to spin w/o rotor control.. Also, it Had been melting the hot glue I applied to keep it in the holder. So, it was super calm this morning and I just slapped on the first spare I had, a Solo Pro 328 tail rotor. Wow! This thing is not bendy like the 120's. It's got the same exact specs except it is stiff and you know what? I just flew for 8:15 and the tail rotor wasn't hot and the hot glue wasn't melted. It never occurred to me before that my tail motors were probably burning out because of my flexing or mishapen rotors.
That is very interesting, I was told that the tip of a prop is where all of the good things happen from friends that have air boats, so if you think about it all that flex in the rotor has to be somewhat changeing the pitch and reduceing the amount of air flow. The flexing may help in a crash but I am sure it is no help in tail control. So the 328 being rigid should be a great improvement. Good one Sax, how is the fit on the shaft?WS
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:44 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,851 Posts
Fits tightly--just right.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Fits tightly--just right.
Thanks, Will order some.WS
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:52 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraxix70 View Post
So, I just recieved my DX6i in the post and downloaded Mr. Salts handbook....

All of a sudden, I'm totally overwhelmed....
I had to start out by familiarizing myself with all the different screens. The manual lays them out in such a weird way that it's hard to follow. Mr. Salt's book is better but the way he scrambles the dx6i and dx7 together can be confusing.

As usual, Mike is right when he suggests starting with the basics - set up your tx just the way Mr. Salt recommends and fly for a while, then start making small "tweaks" just to see what happens.

It takes 40 hours of dual instruction to solo a Cessna which is arguably one of the easiest light aircraft to fly. The 120 is a lot harder - no instructor in the left seat. Take your time and enjoy the learning process - and stock up on spare parts!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
United Kingdom, England, Romford
Joined Jun 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
and stock up on spare parts!
Oh I have a fully stocked 'crash pack'. Bust as of recent I've not had any incidents.
I think I've broken throught the learning 'wall'.
Now, the DX6i is another story...

Thank you to all who take the time to reply here.
Cobraxix70 is offline Find More Posts by Cobraxix70
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraxix70 View Post
Thank you to all who take the time to reply here.
Hey, swapping tips tricks and lies about our helis is half the fun!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
^^^^
When you use the roller make darn sure you press it at the TOP when you need to change menus.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:36 AM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
^^^^
When you use the roller make darn sure you press it at the TOP when you need to change menus.

Mike.
Yeah, I've read that the roller bar is fragile - hasn't been a problem for me yet but it would be nice to know if and how it can be repaired.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I've read that the roller bar is fragile - hasn't been a problem for me yet but it would be nice to know if and how it can be repaired.
You can't buy the roller. You must send it back to HH for repair. They will not sell you just the roller. In fact, the "only" part that I know of that you can buy and repair it yourself is the antenna. I've read some posts that guys fix the wheel using CA and gussets with great success.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: not a "wheel"
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Spektrum roller

Pilgrim & Chap, Maybe I can help,if I get this right.WS http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...242086050.1641
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Pilgrim & Chap, Maybe I can help,if I get this right.WS http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...242086050.1641
I think the upgrade is metal and not plastic, been saving this link just in case.WS
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Aug 2007
162 Posts
Quote:
There is replacement metal roller knobs for the Spektrum DX xmitters.

http://www.eastrc.org/estorerollerbutton.htm

You'll void the warranty putting it in. Spektrum should have made the radio this way in the first place. In quantity it would probably only add a few cents to the cost of the radio.

While you're at it, you could add the screen backlight for the display.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,635 Posts
I ordered a set of Align Trex 250 skids for my 120SR. It arrived in the mail today. I haven't taken it out of the package yet. I'm kinda busy with something else and will get to it tomorrow or so.

But it appears that it doesn't have the same hardware to mount directly to the 120SR frame. I know that several people here use that skid. May I ask, what is the recommended way from installing the 250 skids on the 120SR. Would you mind sharing your experience and recommendation with me? Thanks.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad