Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:22 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunz15 View Post
Putting a handle on the term "maxed out" is difficult. The battery, motor, and ESC only know how much current is being asked for and how much is being used. The 120 is 4 times heavier than the MSR and the battery has roughly 4 times as much capacity but that doesn't necessarily mean that it only uses 4 times as much energy to fly. I need to solder up some connectors ( my amp meter only has Deans plugs ) and try to get a handle on just how many amps the 120 is using at high throttle and bursts. The 120 is probably spending a lot of time bumping up against the limits of its 3.7 V 12C battery.
Mike
I'd reckon a 25c 500 would bring that excess temp down a fair bit when compared to the 'stock' 15c that the E-Flite LiPo supplies.

Roll on a Hyperion 500mAh battery.

You can bet your lefty that they will leave the genuine Eflt for dead...

BJ

Eat my dust, Hombre...
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,201 Posts
...in short... the 1S 3.7 500 is just about at it's max trying to supply this much larger and heavier Bird with the power it needs to accomplish a reasonable flight.

Perhaps an equivalent weight 2S 7.4v would have been the go in hindsight?

BJ
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,201 Posts
...and I also noticed that the 120 is still running a brushed donk, whereas the SR runs a much smaller (and lighter) brushless (which immediately translates to a heavier LiPo, if flight times are to be matched)

Hmmmmm....

Thinking...thinking...thinking - again.

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But - all things being equal... a 2S 7.4 might just have opened new frontiers....

BJ
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:23 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
What is a maxed-out flight on a mSR? Zooming around the room at all of 6mph?
Jas: That is a hard question. I found that mine draws 4.1A on a fresh battery (4.18V) and dropped quickly to 3.9A. However, I was using a very convoluted hook-up between my battery-meter-helicopter. I have too many connections, too small gauge wire, and the leads where probably even a little too long.
I will make up a new harness tonight and try again.
I have my timer set at 5 minutes and I fly in my basement. Hovering and slow forward. At the end of the 5 minutes I have around 3.8v left in the batteries.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:26 PM
Fort Myers FL
Joined Jun 2009
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
no why would i. I dont like this guys reviews and im entitled to my opinion. He tries way to hard and impersonates someone else who i will leave unmentioned here.
As you meet and see enough people in life, you're statistically and inescapably bound to meet two people or more who have have similar behaviors and/or character traits. I can completely assure you, sir, that I am consciously trying to "impersonate" absolutely NO one that I know. And any similarities between myself and someone you may know are fully and purely coincidental. And yes you are entitle to your opinion as we all are. Good luck with your flying all the same.
Zephrus is offline Find More Posts by Zephrus
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Keep in mind that the final resting voltages have very little to do with the capacity used. Some batteries hold voltage very well, while others drop off as capacity is used up.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:55 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Quote:
What is a maxed-out flight on a mSR? Zooming around the room at all of 6mph?
stalyoni's Blade MSR Tricks.wmv (2 min 34 sec)

is this maxed out enough for you?

BTW BJ glad your having fun with sly, sleepy and precious are both out of action for now.
stalyoni is online now Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:18 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udvzjPp71Q

is this maxed out enough for you?

BTW BJ glad your having fun with sly, sleepy and precious are both out of action for now.
So where are the tricks? Did that rabbit take them again?

And Stal, you can do so much better, I dont think I heard that thing get much passed half throttle. You could be doing twice that speed
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:26 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Doomsday i was actually in full throttle while doing he tail in funnels. Yes i can do better mate but in a confined space like this it is not easy.

I would like to see you do better.

Also what rabbit, what are you on about. Did you eat some funny mushrooms or something?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:34 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Doomsday i was actually in full throttle while doing he tail in funnels. Yes i can do better mate but in a confined space like this it is not easy.

I would like to see you do better.

Also what rabbit, what are you on about. Did you eat some funny mushrooms or something?
LOL, Ok, so maybe you dont have Trixs the cereal in Australia. That nasty rabbit is always trying to steal the cereal away from kids. Silly rabbit, trixs are for kids....

Oh, you did see the big on mine right? That meant I was just poking fun at ya.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:36 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Northern Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2010
368 Posts
I like to unplug the main motor and wave the MSR around in my hand to hear the "mosquito" sing in harmony with the gyro. I wonder what key my blade 120 SR sings in? b flat? I'll have to try it and find out.
isogloss3d is offline Find More Posts by isogloss3d
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:06 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
yah its all good dooms day, sometimes i take things the wrong way

OK so i finally made a deal with the guy. $195AUD posted, comes with 2 lipos, spare blades, TX (which i don't need), wall charger and all the normal stuff that comes with it. I cant wait now.

BJ all i have to do is think of a name for it now.....Any suggestions?

Still havent got one for my MCX ether......Hmmm
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:48 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Whats a better heli? V120D01 Vs 120 SR.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Last edited by TravisBean; Aug 31, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: 120 SR, not SR 120 as stated incorrectly in thread title
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:16 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
The Math of Expo?

I've been trying to play more with my DX6i settings. I'm really good with math and excel. Does anyone know the formula or how I can do something in excel so I can compare the graphs of, for example, DR/EXPO of 80% rate with -50% expo to say 100% rate with -30% expo. How can I plot these? Anyone know the equations? Thanks
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:29 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind that the final resting voltages have very little to do with the capacity used. Some batteries hold voltage very well, while others drop off as capacity is used up.

I believe you are thinking of voltage under load. The resting voltage of a lipo is actualy a surprisingly accurate indicator of its remaining capacity. Many people have done many tests on this, and it always comes out pretty close. This is the "chart" I use:

4.20v = 100%
4.03v = 76%
3.86v = 52%
3.83v = 42%
3.79v = 30%
3.70v = 11%

Resting voltage = Wait at least 2 min after you stop using the battery, then check voltage.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur