SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:23 PM
Should have bought a kite!
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Aug 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Here's a better look my project. I have been chased by swallows, dragonflys, I even had a hawk touchdown right where I had taken off from one day, not sure his intent.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B17yqCwZmc
Very cool lights, and I see you have some other goodies installed as well...
Any night flying yet?
The critters are either looking for a playmate, or lunch.

Bob
Heabob is offline Find More Posts by Heabob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
Kick The Tires Light The Fires
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
Had the 120SR out in some good wind today and it fly's great was a bit scared with the wind at 30 km/h and with some wind gust but had no probs with it this little bird can take some wind.
COBRA-CC is offline Find More Posts by COBRA-CC
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
30 kms? Seriously?

not bad; was that just hovering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA-CC View Post
Had the 120SR out in some good wind today and it fly's great was a bit scared with the wind at 30 km/h and with some wind gust but had no probs with it this little bird can take some wind.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:51 AM
Kick The Tires Light The Fires
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
30 kms? Seriously?

not bad; was that just hovering?
It was hovering and with some good forward speed into the wind too i was impressed with it.
COBRA-CC is offline Find More Posts by COBRA-CC
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:55 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA-CC View Post
It was hovering and with some good forward speed into the wind too i was impressed with it.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
razor you bought one yet dude ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:58 AM
Joined Sep 2005
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
How are you hooking up the power?
midieval10 is offline Find More Posts by midieval10
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:49 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,592 Posts
Crash and Burn Nube

So I tried out my new SR120. Inside and outside (very calm).

Always the same story. Never could get her to hold a simple hover for more than a brief moment, either with centered trim or with slight trim tweaks. She would immediately go into some kinda TBE and I'd have to bring her down skidding.

I had the transmitter on low, and tried to use very gentle control. On about the 15th try, she "landed" nose first and lost a piece out of the canopy.

Is it likely that I just don't have the skill for this puppy? I've had no problem with smaller ones, like the MCX2.

Do I need to put the SR120 on the shelf (or try to return her to LHS???) and buy something else to practice on?
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:12 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,879 Posts
Maybe you're just fighting it a bit too much?

I haven't got my SR120 yet (still in the mail), but if it's anything like the mSR, you should be able to just about bounce it up in the air, and hold a hover i.e. give it a fair bit of welly on the throttle stick to get it up to around chest-high, and then ease the throttle back to get it to hold that height. If it rotates around it's axis (Piro's), so be it. So long as it doesn't bank on you (Aileron), just let it come up chest high.

Then take it from there...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:14 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Always the same story. Never could get her to hold a simple hover for more than a brief moment, either with centered trim or with slight trim tweaks. She would immediately go into some kinda TBE and I'd have to bring her down skidding.

I had the transmitter on low, and tried to use very gentle control. On about the 15th try, she "landed" nose first and lost a piece out of the canopy.

Is it likely that I just don't have the skill for this puppy? I've had no problem with smaller ones, like the MCX2.

Do I need to put the SR120 on the shelf (or try to return her to LHS???) and buy something else to practice on?
I think you should of gone with the mSR before the 120SR same heli but a lot smaller and more forgiving in the event of a crash ! still dont give up mate
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:34 AM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

The mcx is super stable. A fixed pitch, even a semi stabalized one like the mSR and 120 SR are a bit harder to control but are very easy to learn and get used to. It may be a little out of trim, also I have found with all of my Blade helis that they handle better with my dX6i transmitter than they do with the stock transmitter for some reason. I would suggest practice and maybe make small adjustments to the swash links to try to get the wandering to become more stable. Remember any input that you give it, once you have stopped the input, by design the helicopter will create a small rebound in the opposite direction. And when you give more input to cancel the rebound, when you let off it will repeat ie: TBE. Practice small inputs and anticipating movements rather than reacting to them and things will improve greatly. Also it is more stable in flying than hovering. LOL
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,879 Posts
Yanno... I found my mSR quite daunting after starting on a Micro Twister co-ax (I even found that rather duanting to start with too).

The trick that worked for me is that I got the sh'its with the mSR and stopped fartarsing around with it and eventually just put it up in the air. I said to myself "I don't care if it crashes".

Up she finally went, and I'd moved on from the 'crash-terrors'. The mSR is an amazingly resilient little Bird - the SR120 is more than double the size, but still quite resilient from what I've seen so far.

For a n00b like me, what I found the most difficult was to diagnose what was causing my Helo to fly awkwardly - was it something I was doing wrong, or was something out of whack due to a previous crash?

My advice to Pugsam would be to take your SR120 down to you LHS (if you have one nearby), or let someone else who can fly it have a go - just to make sure that it's still set up ok. Once you see that it flies nicely (or needs some minor attention), you'll know that at least the Bird flies true. And you'll be able to have some confidence in knowing that it can fly, hover, and move with ease.

If neither of those is a viable option, just say to yourself "I don't care if it crashes now". Bump it up into the air with a decent amount of throttle - preferably somewhere where you've got a little bit of forgiving space to move around in. Maybe start with just a 1ft-high hop.

Whatever you do, just make sure that you throttle right off when you know it's going to come down. Nothing hurts the Helo more than going in with the throttle still on. Button-off, let it stack, and pick it up and go again...

You'll get the hang of it mate - if I can, anyone can...

BJ
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Just to add to what BJ was saying also find a field with long grass when you think your going to crash, dont be scared of just cutting the throttle and letting the heli drop into the grass,as long as you throttle down you should get no damage at all in long grass.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,879 Posts
Yup....long grass outdoors is the go if you have the opportunity (so long as there's not too much breeze around).

Failing that, if you have to fly inside, fly over carpet rather than tiles etc. - carpet is so much more forgiving if you're forced to bounce off it...

BJ
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:21 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midieval10 View Post
How are you hooking up the power?
If you go back 23 posts from yours, you will see an explanation of how he hooked them up.
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek