Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:02 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helohead View Post
Rampage,

I talkín out my butt here cause I donít have access to a DX7s but Iíve looked at the picís of the switches and read the mixing section of the manual and none of it makes any sense to me.

I donít understand why anyone would want the same mix on two different switch settings! That alone makes me think itís an error in the software: ďS-12Ē should be ďS-1Ē, see if the mixing on the monitor screen works correctly if you disregard that extra ď2Ē.

I would call Spektrum and ask about thisÖ

Randy
I was kinda' thinking the same thing, but position 2 (S-2) defintiely seems to over-ride S-12, so I don't think S12 and S-2 are actually combining. I don't know tho. Hard to tell. I'm wondering if it is just a glitch in the firmware. When I'm in the menu, if I have the switch in position 2 and I'm in S-12's menu, it displace the switch as being on, which is kind of strange.

Anyone else want to chime in on this one?
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
"Tunnel of L-O-V-E."
Do you not see the rusty chains of torture?!

lol!
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
640 Posts
No clue Rampage, I am running Mr. Salts settings with my DX6i.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:57 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,703 Posts
@Black, I don't think that was our deal. The Mission was not to find dogs.

Your Mission (should you choose to accept it) is to fly your 120SR FFF through the TOD, turn around, climb, and fly nose-in over the TOD back into the backyard and land.

As usual, if your 120SR be caught (in the trees) or killed in action, Mike and I, and the rest of us will disavow all knowledge of your actions... This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:05 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,787 Posts
Had 3 flights on mine today, getting more comfortable every time. Keeping her in the air for the entire pack is no problem now. Still working on coordinating the turns and getting out of the airplane "Airspeed is life" frame of mind. A few things I've noticed that I'm not sure if they're unique to the 120 SR or all helis in general:

1) A slight right tilt even in a hover. Holds it's position but is still canted slightly.

2) The need to drastically lower the head speed when moving forward quickly, otherwise she climbs like a rocket. Head speeds I use for maintaining a hover seem to be much too high for forward flight.

3) Same as above, but when flying forward into a slight breeze.

I'm guessing 2 and 3 have something to do with the "disk" creating more lift as the heli's moving forward, so you reduce the head speed to keep it from climbing?

Still learning a lot here and loving every moment of it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Happy New Years Ya'll
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:51 PM
100k parts vibrating in unison
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
1) A slight right tilt even in a hover. Holds it's position but is still canted slightly.

2) The need to drastically lower the head speed when moving forward quickly, otherwise she climbs like a rocket. Head speeds I use for maintaining a hover seem to be much too high for forward flight.

3) Same as above, but when flying forward into a slight breeze.

I'm guessing 2 and 3 have something to do with the "disk" creating more lift as the heli's moving forward, so you reduce the head speed to keep it from climbing?

Still learning a lot here and loving every moment of it.
Rampage,

Good observational skills and your guess is correct.

Item 1: When properly trimmed out the tilt is normal; itís required to compensate for the tail rotor thrust. If trimmed with the swash plate ďLevelĒ the tail rotor would blow the heli sideways.

Item 2 & 3: Is called Translational Lift.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/translational-lift.html

Youíre soon going to encounter Dissymmetry of Lift. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissymmetry_of_lift

Have Fun & Happy New Year Everyone!

Randy
Helohead is offline Find More Posts by Helohead
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:19 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,787 Posts
Dissymmetry of Lift is what causes the 120 SR to roll slightly in FFF, right?
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Yes, a heli with a CW rotating head will roll to the right in FFF until you get to helis with a higher head speed then the effect goes away.

With the 120SR we use a mix to compensate.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:53 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
713 Posts
I posted this a while ago regarding the mix I use for my 120 SRs.

The mix shown below helps keep the nose straight and level when starting forward flight with both my 120 SRs using my DX6i.

I forgot how well it actually works until I flew a buddy's new 120 SR to help him tirm it out. His transmitter didn't have the mix programmed in and it was definitely more difficult to get his 120 flying forward smoothly.

I can't take credit for the mix - found it online - and I did have to adjust the values to work best for my particular helicopters. So, consider the values below as a starting point. Also, be sure that the "R" value is MINUS.

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Jan 01, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:49 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post

The mix shown below helps keep the nose straight and level when starting forward flight with both my 120 SRs using my DX6i.

I forgot how well it actually works until I flew a buddy's new 120 SR to help him tirm it out. His transmitter didn't have the mix programmed in and it was definitely more difficult to get his 120 flying forward smoothly.

I can't take credit for the mix - found it online - and I did have to adjust the values to work best for my particular helicopters. So, consider the values below as a starting point. Also, be sure that the "R" value is MINUS.

Don
I think I shall try this mix as well
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Bought my father, whom is a helicopter pilot, the SR 120 for Christmas. I also purchased an extra set of blades (main and tail) and 2 extra batteries. I read John Salt's e-Guide on the SR 120, and plan on building the battery mod he described. Also, I plan on purchasing the DX6i within the next couple of weeks.

Neither of us have really any RC heli experience, he had purchased a RC heli at a mall once, think it was $80, about 3x the size of the SR 120, and it was crap. So basically, we are new to this.

Anyway, on Christmas day, we took it outside for a test flight. It was around 50-degrees, slight breeze (~3mph). Obviously, we crashed it multiple times, even on asphalt, and I got it stuck in a tree once.

The only issues we had were:

1) After one crash, the heli wouldn't take off, it kept nose-diving after getting about 1" off the ground. We first thought it was a weak battery, so we put a fully charged battery in it, with the same results. Finally, after inspecting it, I noticed one of the linkages had popped off, and after replacing it, it started flying again.

2) After a different crash, into the trunk of a tree, one of the skids broke. After reading some sites on the internet, it seems the skids are one of the number 1 things that will break. Unfortunately, Hobby Town in my father's town had closed down, so I'll have to pick a couple of extra ones up at my local HT. No biggie, the heli still flies just fine with a broken skid.

Once he really gets the hang of it, and after getting the DX6i, I really want to put a scale UH-60 Blackhawk body on it, as that is what he flew in the Army. He now flies a Huey and a 407, so those bodies are a consideration also.

Will probably get one of those keychain cameras also, try to make some good vids.

Anyway, thanks for the great forum, will check back on this thread daily!
taz291819 is offline Find More Posts by taz291819
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post

Don
Beware of strange mixes found on the internet!

They may appear to work.

But one day when youíre trying more advanced maneuvers, you may find yourself in the Spiral of Death.

The answer is for sale which is why we donít divulge it here.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html

Randy
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Bought my father, whom is a helicopter pilot, the SR 120 for Christmas. I also purchased an extra set of blades (main and tail) and 2 extra batteries. I read John Salt's e-Guide on the SR 120, and plan on building the battery mod he described. Also, I plan on purchasing the DX6i within the next couple of weeks....
Sounds like youíre off to a good start, welcome to the obsession.

Randy
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
640 Posts
Tested a new Camera platform this morning. I need to adjust my angle, but otherwise I am happy with it. Very little jello effect and the camera is upside down. A lot easier to get at the buttons and see what the camera is doing with this set up.

010112aa.wmv (5 min 46 sec)

Edit:
After I ran a stabilization filter.

010112aa.wmv (5 min 46 sec)
Last edited by Blackanthem; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:13 PM.