SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 24, 2010, 02:04 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
So what is the purpose of setting endpoints?
If you set the endpoints beyond physical limits, you will make the servo travel faster. You do sacrifice some resolution in the process and create a little dead zone at the end of the stick's movement. But if you want to spice up the controls, this may be for you.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
So what is the purpose of setting endpoints?
Simply because some servos (especially steering) required that because of linkage binding, whereas the servo could travel farther than the linkages would permit. That is not an issue on the helicopters.
As stated, adjusting it +100% increases response.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Wrong, servos always move at maximum speed.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:49 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,313 Posts
Odd because I ruined an msr board this way and my mcx brick is damaged because of it.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
Wrong. Been flying my mSR this way for a very long time and never had any issues. You can set the percentage as high as you want, but the servo will only go up to 100% and won't try anymore. Too much FUD here.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,313 Posts
I don't think it matters any

Mine were at 125 and made no difference.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
So what is the purpose of setting endpoints?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
HeliFlyer711's Avatar
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
The servo see's the signal from the RX....so true, but half a truth is a whole lie, so lets define that.

The servo see's the signal from the RX, the RX recieves the signal from the TX, the TX gets the signal from stick movement, the sticks get movement from your fingers. So all your doing is changing the stick movement to move the servo faster for a given amount of movement of the sticks. This is why some say you lose "resolution" but you gain speed. I usually use higher endpoints on my tail servos, on my bigger birds for faster tail servo response, and to even out the piro rates on L - R rudder.

Increase of endpoints will move the servo faster for a shorter movement of the stick which gives the heli a more responsive feel. That and a negative exponential setting combined can allow you to fine tune the servos to exactly where you want them. With CCPM you can use swash mix to make all 3 cyclic servos throw more at once. So you can dial in +/- pitch or specific to ELEV or AILE for more cyclic response past the normal 6-7*, that most helis can handle. The ESC has throttle resolution steps also that can be adjusted with endpoints. Travel Adjust or End point Adjustment are the same thing depending on the radio you have Futaba is usually - EPA - DSM/2 = TA.

Travel Adjust is also used for dialing out Swashplate interaction at full positive - midpoint - and full negative swash movement on CCPM. I think here (FP) for the mSR and SR 120 its just used to get more movement of the servo for a given stick movement in connection with the Neg Expo setting. I know on the mSR the swash would bind sometimes with these settings unless you moved the links up to let the swash have full movement. But on the 120 there is a lot more room in the head for these settings. Still you should check to make sure there is no binding in the head, and check your servos to make sure they are not overdriving at max throws.

Bob white vids on CCPM setup (helifreak) goes over EPA or Travel adjust on TX settings for helis if you want detailed info.

Im sure there is more or less to this than what I worte in a short paragraph but if you want to add or take away I know all my helis fly real nice after setting them up this way......

have a nice day
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Aug 24, 2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Swashplate Interaction
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 03:23 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Travel Adjustment....End Point Adjustment= same thing...glad i got that sorted out..lol

Now something important to us 120 sr owners...The left landing skid can contact the servo gear on the left side..destroying the left servo.........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post15874428
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
So what is the purpose of setting endpoints?
None with these helis since they are RTF and were engineered around the servo. You would generally use endpoints when putting servos in a plane to keep the servo from moving past the physical limit of the control surface, which will stall the servo causing a spike in amp draw and can strip servo gears. Most servos can also travel further than the radio drives them at 100%, so if you need a little extra servo movment you can do it. (not on these helis though)

However, Some people have suggested setting the servo end point at 125% is a way to make the servo "move faster" (as was explained above), Well, be advised that thats a stupid way to do it. All it does is make the servo move more for a given stick movment. That's what exponential is for. On JR/Spektrum radios, negative expo will make the servo move further with less stick movment around center stick, without affecting overall servo travel. People should not get in the habit of doing things the wrong way, as it will only cause grief down the road. If you want your servos to be more responsive, use negative expo people!
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
None with these helis since they are RTF and were engineered around the servo. You would generally use endpoints when putting servos in a plane to keep the servo from moving past the physical limit of the control surface, which will stall the servo causing a spike in amp draw and can strip servo gears. Most servos can also travel further than the radio drives them at 100%, so if you need a little extra servo movment you can do it. (not on these helis though)

However, Some people have suggested setting the servo end point at 125% is a way to make the servo "move faster" (as was explained above), Well, be advised that thats a stupid way to do it. All it does is make the servo move more for a given stick movment. That's what exponential is for. On JR/Spektrum radios, negative expo will make the servo move further with less stick movment around center stick, without affecting overall servo travel. People should not get in the habit of doing things the wrong way, as it will only cause grief down the road. If you want your servos to be more responsive, use negative expo people!
Thank You.......thats why i run -75 expo on my msr
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:31 PM
Should have bought a kite!
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Aug 2009
70 Posts
Hey all,

Couldn't stand it anymore, had to hit my LHS and check out the new bird.
They were flying it in the store with the stock radio, not to bad either.
Had to have one, (got the last BNF, and last 3 batteries), Oh the guilt...
Got home, charged batts, added a new program to my DX6i, bound tx-rx.
Trimmed her up in my pole barn, then headed outside.
Wind was <3 and it flew darn well, considering the pilot
Got away from me and tangled with a tree branch, tumbled down about 10'
and landed in soft grass... no damage, and continued flying.
On the 3rd battery it was going fine, then, it just spun and dropped...
I thought at first the LVC kicked in, but my timer was set to 5 min.
Ail. and Elev were still working but throttle would start and stop, hit and miss.
Checked my tx, flew the msr for a while.
New batt, same thing, did a re-bind, fixed it, for now.
Flew again for a bit, dropped out of sky again, grr.
Seemed ok, finished off the battery, almost like a range issue.
My max distance was maybe 25'. (No I didn't do a range check yet)
TX voltage ok, but it might be a flakey receiver, I guess only time will tell.
It flies like the msr only different.
I do like it so far tho.

Bob
Heabob is offline Find More Posts by Heabob
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:09 PM
VAPORIZED
pappy1's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,278 Posts
I was just about to go to the lhs to buy one,looks like i wont now
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
You say you had a tangle with a tree and landed on soft grass...how about the other times you fell out of the sky,were the hard landings?

Reason i ask is because the left skid can ,on a hard landing...mabey even a not so hard landing.....well the skid can jam up against the left servo gear.
It could pop off the gear or may even cause the whole servo to break or it could cause the servo to transfer the impact right to the 5 in one.

I hope that is not what happened to you.

Here is a link to solve the problem...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post15874428


I think it is very important for all who have the 120 sr to check it out and prevent further trouble down the road.

I know i posted this link above but really,it is something that will cost a lot $$ down the road to repair....when it's to late....and it is a very simple mod to do.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
Registered User
rsobel's Avatar
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2010
100 Posts
DX6i Settings

Well, since people are sharing their tx settings, here is what I'm using on my DX6i based (but adjusted from) my old MSR settings. I'm still on the short (factory set) swash balls (not the aggressive yet).

DR/EXPO ... first I tried using + values on my DX6i (to soften the throws) which was horrible. With this chopper you need quicker throws to be able to properly counteract the pendulum and other effects. Just like the MSR you need more control. Why based on this logic I haven't just gone to the longer balls, I don't know, I probably should and then these settings might not be the best ones any longer. Anyway, for now I have settled on these settings

A: 0 85% -50%
E: 0 90% -50%
R: 0 90% -83%

THROTTLE CURVE ... first I experimented with one I found somewhere here that went 0,45,65,85,100, but I liked the original 0,25,50,75,100 better.

MIXING ... I'm a big fan of trying to get the heli to fly straight in fast forward flight. So I put in mixes. For whatever reason, maybe it's just my particular heli, she banked/flew WAAAAY to the right as I went fast forward. She is trimmed to hover pretty stable, and the trims are right in that regard, although some have suggested trimming while in flight not in hover, but when I try to do that it won't hover in place. Anyway, I had to put in a huge mix, that I'm still not entirely happy with, to make her even come close to flying straight, it really helped me a lot.

Mix 1:
ELEV - AILE ACT
L -90% R -90%
SW: ON TRIM: INH

Now, if I could just figure out how to keep her from flying up so high all the time. For whatever reason (probably too much transitional lift) I keep getting much more altitude than I want as I'm flying around in ovals.

For all of my settings I just kept making sure they were first on switches so I could "test" them against a setting I was already okay with (and was able to change back to) if I didn't like it. For the Mix, if you want it to be switched, rather than always on, the last line for SW: should be changed from ON to one of your switches you want to use.
rsobel is offline Find More Posts by rsobel
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
I was just about to go to the lhs to buy one,looks like i wont now
I wouldn't let that keep you away from one.
Hard to believe i know.....i'm not a fan of eflight due to the SR.
But the msr is a great heli and this one is a bigger msr with more ability.
I been looking this thing over pretty close and flying it around.
I have found a few faults but nothing to make it not worth getting......i'll keep looking though....and haveing fun flying it
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:31 PM
VAPORIZED
pappy1's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,278 Posts
I,have been reading your posts ridgewalker,4 mods already,and three of them just to save heli from breaking,not to increase performance.hmmmmm anyway good work keep it up,and may your bird grace the sky for a long time.Does your tail rotor fly off all the time?It pisses me that they design these helis with simple faults like the one you spotted about the servo and landing gear,money hungry eflite
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Helis 6594 Nov 21, 2014 11:29 PM
Discussion Update Blade CP or buy E-Flite Blade SR or 400? markhwing Electric Heli Talk 10 Aug 06, 2012 04:16 PM
Link E-flite mSR batteries E flite 110-120 Hyp.CX 120 and others everydayflyer Batteries and Chargers 45 Apr 08, 2010 05:55 AM
For Sale Did you just buy a new E-Flite Blade SR? Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 28, 2010 01:01 AM
New Product Blade SR RTF Electric Micro Heli by E-flite ghost2212 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Jan 07, 2010 10:36 AM