HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:58 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakilen View Post
I'm loving my Hyperion 550's, and flying 5:30 on each pack and only putting in about 400 mAH on each charge.
That's good to know. Hey, you're not that far from Int'l Falls - where do you fly when the temp is below 32 deg C, i.e. between September 2 and July 14?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 01:01 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Does anyone have a source for Hyperion 550's?
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:16 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
United States, WI, Superior
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
That's good to know. Hey, you're not that far from Int'l Falls - where do you fly when the temp is below 32 deg C, i.e. between September 2 and July 14?
Actually, it's between Aug 14th and July 28th! I'm about 2 1/2 hour south of Int'l Falls, right at the Western tip of Lake Superior (it's less than a mile away).

I'm pretty lucky. Right across the street from me is the University Wisconsin Superior, which is all lit up. I do most of my outdoor flying there in the evening if the wind is low. All the lighting in great, but not quite enough. That's why I added the LED that I posted previously.

Most of my flying is done indoors, either in my living room or kitchen.

Snow is in the forecast for tomorrow!!
dakilen is offline Find More Posts by dakilen
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:26 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,124 Posts
Quote:
I couldn't find a source for them, but I picked up some from ebay (non hyperion) and i'll let you know how they are when I get them.
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Been hunting them myself.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:29 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
so whats the best batteries for this here bird????

I only got 1 stock eflite battery...

and where is the best place to get?????????????????
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:30 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
That really looks WAY TOO HEAVY.
Not worthwhile mods, just bling.
Ron
This is not true.
First, ALL aluminum upgrade swashplates have more throw. Hence more intense forward flight, more roll, and more backward flight control. Then, the flybars are stiffer which helps with stabilization and pendulum affect. Aluminum main shaft upgrades are more durable than CF shafts and help prevent TBE that is common with cracked CF main shafts. Aluminum anti-rotation collars and rotor heads have smaller/tighter clearances for the links and this causes more stability and less wear of the links. Finally, aluminum rotor heads do not crack and help with TBE also. These aluminum parts are also more durable than plastic.

Bling parts are blade grips, tail boom struts, tail motor holders.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
Bling parts are blade grips, tail boom struts, tail motor holders.
Nothing wrong with a pimped out 120. Flying in style.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
Tired main motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vslslr View Post
After lots of flying my 120sr, it doesn't have the power it used to. I have tried several batteries, but no change. It flys fine, and I get good flight time, but it takes at least 3/4 throttle to keep it in a hover (used to be about 1/2). I can't fly with my keychain camera anymore either. Could this be a main motor wearing out? My 120sr is completely stock, as delivered from E-flight, with over 100 flights I'm sure.
Marc
Just wanted to let anyone interested know that today I installed a new main motor and what a difference! I guess I just forgot how much power this thing had when it was new. With the new motor it will hover now with only 1/3 throttle and really "snaps" up into the air if you give it full throttle. And it is extremely quiet, really the only sound it makes is just rotor noise. It will carry my keychain camera again at just slightly above 1/2 throttle.
Don't let a slow performance loss creep up on you!
Marc
vslslr is offline Find More Posts by vslslr
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:27 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
I've ordered Hyperion batteries (variety of sizes) from both Quantum Hobby and All e RC; both gave great service! (Note: unfortunately for those North of the border, Quantum will only ship to the "contiguous US"). Here are links for the 550's:

http://www.quantumhobby.com/HYPERION...25c05501sr.htm

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...li-p-6265.html
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
I received my # 11 from China yesterday. Have not had a chance to test it in flight yet.
Name: IMG_2251.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 182.6 KB
Description:
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:02 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
I received my # 11 from China yesterday. Have not had a chance to test it in flight yet.
Attachment 4404796
'Scuse the dumb question, but what's a #11? Is it a camera? Details!
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Ah hell no. Its a 1280x720 HD #11 key chain camera, the real deal. There are fakes out there claiming to be a #11. Check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692 I got mine from eletoponline365.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:13 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
United States, WI, Superior
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vslslr View Post
Just wanted to let anyone interested know that today I installed a new main motor and what a difference! I guess I just forgot how much power this thing had when it was new. With the new motor it will hover now with only 1/3 throttle and really "snaps" up into the air if you give it full throttle. And it is extremely quiet, really the only sound it makes is just rotor noise. It will carry my keychain camera again at just slightly above 1/2 throttle.
Don't let a slow performance loss creep up on you!
Marc
Very cool! How many flights did you have on the original motor?
dakilen is offline Find More Posts by dakilen
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakilen View Post
Very cool! How many flights did you have on the original motor?
My best guess is 100+. My 120sr is all stock, the only other parts replaced were two batteries (recently, due to short flight times after many cycles) and one tailmotor (crashed and bent the shaft early on learning how to fly).
I have flown it about 10 times a week for the three months I've had it. It's my first helicopter, and unless E-flight comes out with a collective pitch this size I wouldn't replace it with anything. The size is perfect to fly indoors or outdoors. It's small enough to fly anywhere, even places that would not be "RC Friendly" to something larger.
Marc
vslslr is offline Find More Posts by vslslr