HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:26 AM
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Joined Dec 2007
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
I hear that. My LHS has been saying for weeks that he would have some in a few days. I certainly hope they are better batterys than them Lectron Pros are. I have three Eflite batts. that are still working perfectly after over 100 flights. I had three LPs to go with them, but they all fried up rather quickly in the last week or so. Meanwhile the cursed Eflites keep on keepin on, fllight after flight. Flew it 10 times today in the garage, doing the usual point hovering practice. Got 5 minutes out of all three with no complaints.

Guess I am going to have to buy more Eflite batts.
Yeah - mighty strange that, some people don't have any problem with them at all.
That's what makes me say

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerDon View Post
Storage and use conditions may also affect this: humidity, temperature etc.
I am not a battery expert, I just know what worked for me.
Whatever suits you, try some things and use what works for you.
That's what this hobby and this forum are all about.
BikerDon is offline Find More Posts by BikerDon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:23 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarsimon View Post
Hey, Thanks' Saxguy and Arbilab,
The tail rotor is spinning and appears to work, but it doesn't seem to be working as hard. It doesn't have the same sound that it did when I first started flying it. I've also definitely "tapped" a few things with it while flying/crashing. I'll head to the lhs on mon for some new parts.

Btw, are there any mixes or settings I should consider as a noobie pilot for the DX7? Or is there a thread where people have already asked the same questions and had them answered, that I should look through?

Thanks' again!
I have just begun to start experimenting with the mixing on a DX8. I'm using an Xtreme main motor which out performs the tail motor and it tends to drift right. I've mixed this out and now it moves straight in FFF. I've also worked on throttle control so that I can set it down as light as a feather (when there's no breeze) and lift off without any spinning of the aircraft on the ground. I'm looking now to try to get the tendency to dip too low when cranking it up to full speed and moving forward. There are quite a few things that you can "train" your little bronco to do that will make it more enjoyable.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:33 AM
High Impact Lander
United States, ME, Gorham
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
Hi all, Mixing question with the 120SR.

I'm trying to re-learn how to fly helis after being pretty terrible with a Blade CP a few years back. I have a 120SR and am hovering. When I do slow left pirouettes, the heli stays pretty stable, but right pirouettes results in it accelerating backwards and left, ending up looking like I am trying to do a funnel (I think that's what a funnel is). It ends up being a very wide nose-in circle when I apply right rudder.I'm trying to mix it out with the DX6i but not having any luck. Does anyone have any advice to counteract this behavior or do I just have to compensate with the sticks?

Thanks!
jamz2233 is offline Find More Posts by jamz2233
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:08 AM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Just got back inside from maiden with mine.....I LIKE IT !
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:31 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
I spent a lot of $$ trying to find a heli that reduced stress rather than induce more stress on top of the workplace. The 120 SR works. The only time you get stressed is when you crash it and then comes the problems of trying to get it to fly right. Now, after a dozen or so crashes and replacement failures, I can get it back up and running in no time. So, enjoy it, but be aware that there is a learning curve associated with consistent fun!
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:36 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz2233 View Post

I'm trying to re-learn how to fly helis after being pretty terrible with a Blade CP a few years back. I have a 120SR and am hovering. When I do slow left pirouettes, the heli stays pretty stable, but right pirouettes results in it accelerating backwards and left, ending up looking like I am trying to do a funnel (I think that's what a funnel is). It ends up being a very wide nose-in circle when I apply right rudder.I'm trying to mix it out with the DX6i but not having any luck. Does anyone have any advice to counteract this behavior or do I just have to compensate with the sticks?

Thanks!
Have to see what others say, but mine does that, too, to some degree. There is no mixing built in to the 5-in-1, so I think that you have to do some manual compensation for what is inherent physics. It makes it hard if you are flying in a small room, but outdoors it should be easily managed.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:20 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Just got back inside from maiden with mine.....I LIKE IT !
High Five!
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:45 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarsimon View Post
Hey, Thanks' Saxguy and Arbilab,
The tail rotor is spinning and appears to work, but it doesn't seem to be working as hard. It doesn't have the same sound that it did when I first started flying it. I've also definitely "tapped" a few things with it while flying/crashing. I'll head to the lhs on mon for some new parts.

Btw, are there any mixes or settings I should consider as a noobie pilot for the DX7? Or is there a thread where people have already asked the same questions and had them answered, that I should look through?

Thanks' again!
A number of us have found Mr. Salt's e-guide for the SR 120 helpful. Along with a bunch of other tips and tricks, he includes settings for the dx7 that are a good place to start. Here's the link:

www.rchelicopterfun.com

You have to pay $8.95 and download it as a pdf file, but it was definitely worth it for me.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:56 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
I've only been flying for a few months and only have the MCX2 and SR 120. My heli also behaves very differently when circling left vs right, especially in tight quarters. Like you, after inducing a right turn I can continue circling by applying just the rudder. It's less noticeable in a larger area, but does take getting used to.

Glad you asked about the "funnel"; I'd also like to know what that is
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:02 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
860 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
When doing pirouettes to the right, the tail rotor is trying harder to push the helicopter to the left, so you have to add in some right aileron while going to the right. To the left I have to add in some left aileron as the tail thrust is reduced, thus its not trying to push it to the left any more.

You'll note that while hovering it leans to the right. This is compensating for the tail rotor pushing the heli to the left. You have to add or decrease aileron while doing piros due to the additional or reduced tail rotor thrust.

I hover mine in the tight confines of my garage and have not hit anything yet while doing piros, both fast and slow. And more importantly while hovering face-in. My reflexes in this mode are improving by leaps and bounds flying this 120SR in a tight garage. I still use the factory MCX2 transmitter and just compensate for the heli physics. Its more fun that way, and you also learn more than you would just mixing it in the transmitter.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
High Five!
Jump up in air high five....

so far five flights logged ...

And many more to come I hope..

Just need more bats.....I bought mine used and one of thhe bats wont hold charge.....but this heli for sixty bucks......I can get another battery
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:33 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I can get another battery
Hell ya!
Funny you all talking about e-flight batteries. I have had 4 of them LVC (fail) under a minute, in the last week. Bought that lot of 4 at the same time. I use a celectra charger set at 0.5 and stay around 5 minutes flight time. I don't have a clue how many flights I have on them, but find it some what interesting they are failing at the same time.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Nov 06, 2011, 05:14 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,303 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Hey Jamz, I am no expert but I know you can compensate for the behavior that you speak of. Some guys here could tell you, or this guy is expert and pro:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html
His guide is well worth the money
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:30 PM
High Impact Lander
United States, ME, Gorham
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Hey Jamz, I am no expert but I know you can compensate for the behavior that you speak of. Some guys here could tell you, or this guy is expert and pro:
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html
His guide is well worth the money
BD
Thanks, I had actually bought that guide earlier today. Still could not figure it out. I don't know if it is mixing rudder with right aeleron, or what, and how much. Oh well, I might just have to play with it with the sticks, and practice differently when the msrx comes out.
jamz2233 is offline Find More Posts by jamz2233
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:10 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
If you search the net you can find settings, if not for a 120 SR, for the mSR that you can adapt.