HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:52 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,849 Posts
Those are really cool mods. I just stripped the lights off a Blade Tandem. There are four lights on four strands of that really super- thin wire. Has anyone tried soldering that thin wire? What do need to know to do it right?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
They solder fine, but check if they are enamel painted or covered with rubber insulation. The enamel paint ones need heatshrink to insulate the areas affected. The rubber insulated ones obviously need some heatshrink when done. Be careful, these wires break easily.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:27 PM
United States, AK, Cordova
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Just wanted to share that I have had my first successful three minutes of head on hovering! I actually cheered when I landed, I have been practicing for about an 30 min a day on phoenix.
Didgeridood is offline Find More Posts by Didgeridood
Last edited by Didgeridood; Oct 31, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:38 AM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridood View Post
Just wanted to share that I have had my first successful three minutes of head on hovering! I actually cheered when I landed, I have been practicing for about an 30 min a day on a phoenix.
Definitely not easy. Most definitely worth cheering about. I've been flying helis since 2007, and still feel good after a few minutes of head-on with a CP.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:10 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridood View Post
Just wanted to share that I have had my first successful three minutes of head on hovering! I actually cheered when I landed, I have been practicing for about an 30 min a day on a phoenix.
Woohoo! Next thing you know you'll be doing inverted hovering... Oh, wait, that was just me and I'm still trying to recover from that crash.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Woohoo! Next thing you know you'll be doing inverted hovering... Oh, wait, that was just me and I'm still trying to recover from that crash.
LOL GJ guys.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:57 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Unexplained loss of power

I've been blaming my older E-flite batteriess for a sudden loss of power a short way into the flight; now I'm not at all sure it has anything to do with the batteriess. I tried flying with a newer fully charged batt but the heli lost power after less than 30 seconds; this after losing power after less than a minute with another newer batt. After double checking the battery voltage (it was still fully charged) I unplugged and removed the wye connector from the lights, heli and battery and plugged the battery directly into the 5-in-1 board (stock setup). The heli flew perfectly and in fact was even easier to control. The lights are still on board but I've been flying with them for quite a while with no problems so I don't think weight is a factor. Any ideas?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I've been blaming my older E-flite batteriess for a sudden loss of power a short way into the flight; now I'm not at all sure it has anything to do with the batteriess. I tried flying with a newer fully charged batt but the heli lost power after less than 30 seconds; this after losing power after less than a minute with another newer batt. After double checking the battery voltage (it was still fully charged) I unplugged and removed the wye connector from the lights, heli and battery and plugged the battery directly into the 5-in-1 board (stock setup). The heli flew perfectly and in fact was even easier to control. The lights are still on board but I've been flying with them for quite a while with no problems so I don't think weight is a factor. Any ideas?
You know I added an led to my 130 and I noticed the same exact problem!!! No clue here either :/
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Aug 2007
160 Posts
I have had the TinyBrightLights board on my 120SR pretty much since I got the helicopter. I have not had any problems with the operation of the helicopter. My LED board is older and did not come with the Y-connector. I spliced the LED power leads into the main power wire going to the 5n1.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
I too have mine spliced.

On another note does anyone use the dx6i with their 120sr? I use it and its great compared to the stock TX. If people are using what setup do you have? I just use the standard setup when creating a new memory store.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:11 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
I fly my lights with a separate battery. I use an eflite 120mah 3.7v battery. This way I have no problems with the flight battery.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:27 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
For anybody who has the hyperion 550mah 25c lipo about how much more flight time does it give compared to the stock lipo and anybody know of any other lipo's for it. Also would putting 2 300mah 1s lipo's in it burn the motor or brick out? Im just looking for longer flight times
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
For anybody who has the hyperion 550mah 25c lipo about how much more flight time does it give compared to the stock lipo and anybody know of any other lipo's for it. Also would putting 2 300mah 1s lipo's in it burn the motor or brick out? Im just looking for longer flight times
Until you familiarize yourself to the 80% rule, I would stick to 5 minute flights. I fly all my models at 5 minutes. I may go to 6 minutes but this all depends on how many mah's are put back into that particular batt.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Another thought you should consider. The longer the flight time, the more stress you'll put on your motor.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I've had this happen numerous times. For instance today I was messing around with my MCX2 in the garage. Plugged in a fully charged battery, and 30 seconds later it was on the floor. I'm like WTH? Unplugged it, replugged it and flew it for five minutes on the same battery.

This has happened to me numerous times with my 120SR as well. 30 seconds of flight, unplug it, replug it and fly it for a whole normal flight.

So I've started to wonder about the two batteries I tossed after doing this. They may not have been bad after all. Neither my MCX2 or my 120SR have any lights.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:01 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
Plugged in a fully charged battery, and 30 seconds later it was on the floor.
I bought 4 E-flight 500 mAh batteries when I bought the 120, have no idea how many flights on them. Of those 4 batteries 1 has developed a 30 seconds and she is back on the deck.

Perhaps not a very scientific question, but still on topic of charging and batteries.
I have a Celectra charger, so I get very little information on the batteries.

My goal without having a advanced charger, is to put the batteries in a storage state.

I am thinking, charge them to full and then run them for 2 minutes.
???
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem