HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Nighthawk, there are some guys on this thread that have tried them. Look back aways in the thread. They say more power/lift. I doubt longer flight times. No tail motor that I know of, although many of us keep hoping for one.
BD
Thanks Battledude. I'm sorta on the fence with this product. John Salt warned us about the "money pit" and "heli bling bling" Mayhaps if they come out with a better tail motor, then I'd pick up the main motor "upgrade" also

"Nighthawk"
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Some guys are using the motors from the sukhoi parkzone micros for a tail motor mod. You have to pull the pinion gear and solder the wires. I don't mind replacing the boom assy, so I haven't done this mod yet but am tempted.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:01 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the Sukhoi motor is the same exact thing. I fly the Sukhoi and have replaced that motor, too. Same as the P-51, 4-Site and the T-28. Not worth switching out. I'm going to try the Solo Pro next, but waiting for impending death of the present one.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
LMK how that works out. I may have to make a custom boom with parts from astroid designs and use a straight tail mount for my Jet Ranger fuse. I am also considering a twin tail mod like they use on the brushless mcpX conversions. I will link the parts later.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Here is the link for the twin motor mod...
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...l-motor-mounts

His other tail mounts are on there also. I was going to ask him to fab up a dual 120 tail
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Man, you are going to have to put some counter weight in the nose with double motors. That's going to cut down main motor life with the total weight! Hey, but I'm not stopping you!!!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Action Shot

Name: IMG_2234.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 240.4 KB
Description: SR 120
The new red canopy is soooo Sexy.
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Last edited by Blackanthem; Oct 26, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:44 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk74 View Post
Thanks Battledude. I'm sorta on the fence with this product. John Salt warned us about the "money pit" and "heli bling bling" Mayhaps if they come out with a better tail motor, then I'd pick up the main motor "upgrade" also

"Nighthawk"
Welcome Nighthawk, right now I think the best solution for the 120SR is all stock on the mechanical end of it, in perfect mechanical condition, finely tuned Tx to your liking, and the best battery available. Add cool canopies. And lights like Firemouth!
Sweet machine.

Happy Flying !!!
BD(Kyle)
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:01 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
DX8 settings

BonBonU--

Here is my DX8 settings for the 120SR. I mostly fly outside so the default is F Mode 0. Warning... I've got it set for FFF in this mode! Flight Mode 1 is very tame and I use it to hover indoors or outside with no wind. FM2 is not set, so it's similar to the RTF Tx (only better.) Let me know how you change it up and you may teach me something!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Man, you are going to have to put some counter weight in the nose with double motors. That's going to cut down main motor life with the total weight! Hey, but I'm not stopping you!!!
I noticed that added weight makes me use more throttle and pay much more attention to LVC and landings as trying to go back up may have a bit of lag before you hit the ground too hard on the skids. The Xtreme motor upgrade fixes all that with extra lift. Making sure all moving parts are lubed well also helps. Use silicone.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:47 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
The Xtreme motor would be a good choice. In repairing my heli from the inverted crash, I switched back to the OEM motor. After I soldered a connection back on the Xtreme motor, it was good again so I switched it out. Now I can attest that the Xtreme motor does have quite a bit more power available. Problem, however, is that (again) the tail motor doesn't keep up. If you had extra weight to lift, the Xtreme upgrade and tail motor may actually balance out. I think I will try it and see.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:43 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post

Attachment 4375283
The new red canopy is soooo Sexy.
I have the brownish red canopy. Your looks a little brighter in the coloring. Good pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Welcome Nighthawk, right now I think the best solution for the 120SR is all stock on the mechanical end of it, in perfect mechanical condition, finely tuned Tx to your liking, and the best battery available. Add cool canopies. And lights like Firemouth!
Sweet machine.

Happy Flying !!!
BD(Kyle)
I run stock heli with a few different 'more powerful than e-flite batts', bound to the dx6i. It flies like a larger mSR. I do prefer the 120 over the mSR. Its bigger, handles wind better & IMHO looks better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
The Xtreme motor would be a good choice. In repairing my heli from the inverted crash, I switched back to the OEM motor. After I soldered a connection back on the Xtreme motor, it was good again so I switched it out. Now I can attest that the Xtreme motor does have quite a bit more power available. Problem, however, is that (again) the tail motor doesn't keep up. If you had extra weight to lift, the Xtreme upgrade and tail motor may actually balance out. I think I will try it and see.
Coreless tails are like that. Let us know how that works out.
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
MotoGP
United States, NY, Port Washington
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
New to thread just checking in, love the SR 120!
RD6000S is offline Find More Posts by RD6000S
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:15 PM
MotoGP
United States, NY, Port Washington
Joined Aug 2006
72 Posts
@ Blackanthem, great shot....
RD6000S is offline Find More Posts by RD6000S
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:26 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD6000S View Post
New to thread just checking in, love the SR 120!
Howdy, yup the 120SR is fun bird. It would be a gas in a gymnasium.
Cheers,
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude