HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
That's some good info. I wish I could find a book on how to work these Spektrum Tx's. These little thing like you've reported aren't in any manual.
Yeah, the dx6i manual really only shows the screens and switches, not what they actually do.

I started out trying to fly by the seat of my pants and got spanked pretty good Then I got a big boost from reading these posts, and another big boost from Mr. Salt Since then it's been a matter of halfway educated trial and error

btw before I forget to mention it again, for me this is not all technology and technique. Sharing the experience with people all over the world - priceless. And watching that li'l hummingbird dance around the sky - pure poetry in motion. Never thought I'd live to see the day I could actually get to fly all by myself
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Yeah, the dx6i manual really only shows the screens and switches, not what they actually do.

I started out trying to fly by the seat of my pants and got spanked pretty good Then I got a big boost from reading these posts, and another big boost from Mr. Salt Since then it's been a matter of halfway educated trial and error

btw before I forget to mention it again, for me this is not all technology and technique. Sharing the experience with people all over the world - priceless. And watching that li'l hummingbird dance around the sky - pure poetry in motion. Never thought I'd live to see the day I could actually get to fly all by myself
GJ Pilgrim
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
That's some good info. I wish I could find a book on how to work these Spektrum Tx's. These little thing like you've reported aren't in any manual.
You got to play with them a bit to find the right mix. This book may help....
http://www.airagestore.com/books/rad...ials-1999.html
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:55 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
"Weathervaning"?

Has anyone else noticed that the heli tries to swing into the wind while in fff in a crosswind? Saw it tonight while doing 720's iin a moderate breeze (5-7 knots) - the heli yawed into the wind when quartering in either direction. I haven't seen this effect since the old Estes rockets; they were notorious for weathervaning.

It's really not a problem since I don't have to compensate for roll and yaw in fff any more and have the full range of stick travel to work with, but it is kind of interesting
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
232 Posts
Chatted with a couple guys here the other day about how unrealistic the new 120SR simulator model is in Phoenix V3. Thanks for suggesting other models to try! They seemed a LOT closer performance-wise but still not dead on. None of them were twitchy or unstable enough as the real thing is in any breeze. And all have way too much lift, even at 1/4 throttle.

But Phoenix has a cool feature enabling you to edit each bird's profile. So I reduced power to .05 hp and lowered rotor stability from 200% to 150%. Voila! Amazingly similar.

I also appreciate everyone's advice to fly when it's calm. It's never truly calm here - always at least breezy, or dark. I need to befriend someone with access to a gym or warehouse!

Anyone else here have numbers to exchange on the Phoenix edits to make the 120SR even closer? Thanks in advance.
teflon97239 is online now Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:52 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the heli tries to swing into the wind while in fff in a crosswind? Saw it tonight while doing 720's iin a moderate breeze (5-7 knots) - the heli yawed into the wind when quartering in either direction. I haven't seen this effect since the old Estes rockets; they were notorious for weathervaning.

It's really not a problem since I don't have to compensate for roll and yaw in fff any more and have the full range of stick travel to work with, but it is kind of interesting
It does have a solid vertical fin, after all. Its called arrow head stability. You don't want it to weathervane, take off the fin.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:05 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,403 Posts
hi all, hoping some people who have bought the xtreme metal upgrade stuff, swash plate, blade grips, rotor hub, anti rotation collar, ali main shaft and the metal collar for the main shaft, is it worth the $76 upgrade?

i see they do not do a fly bar, is this not considered necessary then? i also saw one on ebay from RKH is this needed/any good?

i love flying my 120 and it has been stock for over 10 months now and after all that time she is a little wobbly in the air and wants to drift around too much, so it's either the, stay stock or go the upgrade, that needs to happen

so any info welcome thank you

Chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:16 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
636 Posts
I had a similar situation, though not with age but abuse of being new with the 120 (and MSR). I decided that for the cost of a CNC flybar, I could replace just about everything on the main shaft, including the main shaft with OEM parts. After about $40.00 (each) the 120 (and MSR) flys like new again. Someday I may look at a performance upgrade, but for now stock new, is plenty performance for me.
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
You got to play with them a bit to find the right mix. This book may help....
http://www.airagestore.com/books/rad...ials-1999.html
Oh, excellent! I will order this book right away. I've wondered where there is this kind of info.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:03 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
hi all, hoping some people who have bought the xtreme metal upgrade stuff, swash plate, blade grips, rotor hub, anti rotation collar, ali main shaft and the metal collar for the main shaft, is it worth the $76 upgrade?

i see they do not do a fly bar, is this not considered necessary then? i also saw one on ebay from RKH is this needed/any good?

i love flying my 120 and it has been stock for over 10 months now and after all that time she is a little wobbly in the air and wants to drift around too much, so it's either the, stay stock or go the upgrade, that needs to happen

Chuck
The truth? The upgrades are not worth the money. What do the CNC parts give you? Oh, they last longer, true, but if you learn how to fly, you don't break parts as often to begin with. Then, the price of the replacement plastic parts (OEM) are a lot cheaper (assuming you buy them for discounted prices on the net.) Saying this, I have most the parts you can buy and I have not seen a significant difference in the flying ability. It's got to add some weight which translates into less flying time, too.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post

Chuck
More than likely the bushings the main shaft rotates on are worn out. Part # BLH3128, two required. Like all bushings, they do not last forever. Perhaps the lower main gear is wobbly due to being warped? THis will cause some instability as well. I would stay away from metal parts, it just increases weight and reduces flight time. Use the money to buy more flight batterys.

I've got over 100 flights on mine now, and it is still stock. Including the tail motor it came with. What do I do different? About every other flight I place a drop of oil on all points of rotation on the main shaft, upper and lower bearings, swash plate, etc. I also put a drop of oil on the tail motor between the prop and the black sleeve. Turn it on its side and place a drop there, then spin the prop a few times. It will get to the bearing. The tail motor on mine is only lukewarm after five minutes of flying, so it must be doing some good. A drop of oil on the main motor while upside down, below the pinion goes a long way.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Last edited by cbxer55; Oct 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:57 AM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
It does have a solid vertical fin, after all. Its called arrow head stability. You don't want it to weathervane, take off the fin.
Thanks, I hadn't heard that term before. I really don't mind it, especially since the heli can't handle much wind anyway. Actually weathervaning might still be a minor factor even without the fin since the tail motor and rotor would still be sticking out back there. I plan to use the tail fin to support the red flashing all-around light, a key piece in my nav package.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Road Trip

NNE Winds at 30-40 gusting to 50. S'pose I could get one flight in but I'd have follow the heli down to Indianapolis in the car and fiind a good spot to land...what to do, what to do
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
636 Posts
Do it!!!! lol
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:20 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,403 Posts
Thanks guys for your answers, i think i might just stick with mainly stock parts, too many new things coming out and i'll need every cent i have for the Christmas buy up

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker