HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:54 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,684 Posts
Teflon, I think you just need to start in the calm. Trying to learn in the wind with this bird is hard. It's light and can be downwind in a hurry I know. A RH bank plus wind to boost and Woooosh, she's gone!
The DX5 has to be better than the stock TX, but I have never used one. I know the DX6i I use made the copter way funner and more easy to fly.
Try to fly with no wind at first to get the feel of it, get the trim's set to achieve a stable hover. Then take off flying.

My throttle in Phoenix/120SR does not really have an on/off feel but it does not seem to be as realistic as the real 120SR.
I think the Blade 450 has a more real feel, and it seems once I learned to fly it in Phoenix it made the 120 easier to fly.
BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Last edited by BattleDude; Oct 15, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:14 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Also got a few pointers from a buddy who flies RC camera helos for high-end real estate websites.
This is something I've not heard of, "RC camera helos for high-end real estate." What are they doing now, flying around homes to show the outside from above? Can you give me a link to see what they are doing? I'm curious!!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
If you have it set for 100% on both "0" and "1" than you are losing out on the RX's built in low rates.. which are when you are below 50%.. I find it handy..
Everyone's experience is probably different. I re-read Mr. Salt's advice on channel 5 - he suggests turning it off (setting the GYRO at 100% for both rates) and just using the available d/r combi and d/r&expo settings.

It kinda makes sense - giving up 15% travel on top of what the tx provides just because Blade says so doesn't seem logical to me.

That also appears to jive with my own experience; the low rates are so, well, l-o-o-w that they actually made the heli harder for me to control, especially in the inevitable light breeze. It's similar to the long balls vs short balls. The short balls on my MCX2 actually made that heli harder to fly, so with the SR 120 I went to the long balls right out of the box and it worked out fine for me.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
United States, WI, Superior
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Gyro (channel 5, DX6i), MicroHeli Swash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Everyone's experience is probably different. I re-read Mr. Salt's advice on channel 5 - he suggests turning it off (setting the GYRO at 100% for both rates).
I read that again too, pages 22 and 23, of his guide. My copy actually says to leave it turned "on (0%)" as it will actually bottom out the anti-rotation guide pin if it's turned off (%100).

I've checked that on my 120SR and that indeed seems to be the case. The anti-rotation pin bottoms out when channel 5 is turned off (%100). I also noticed that the servos themselves bottom out in the opposite direction with the same setting. It's one thing to deepen the anti-rotation guide with a file to solve the problem on one end, but as I see it there's no fix for servo travel on the other end.

That's kind of why I was asking in my last post about people's experience with MicroHeli's aluminum swash for the 120SR. Beneficial?

Oh yeah, and DANG, I am loving the DX6i!!! Both on my 120SR and mSR!

Cooling fin pictures coming up next!
dakilen is offline Find More Posts by dakilen
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:46 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakilen View Post
I read that again too, pages 22 and 23, of his guide. My copy actually says to leave it turned "on (0%)" as it will actually bottom out the anti-rotation guide pin if it's turned off (%100).

I've checked that on my 120SR and that indeed seems to be the case. The anti-rotation pin bottoms out when channel 5 is turned off (%100). I also noticed that the servos themselves bottom out in the opposite direction with the same setting. It's one thing to deepen the anti-rotation guide with a file to solve the problem on one end, but as I see it there's no fix for servo travel on the other end.
HH knows that people are sometimes "not so smart". Most people dont realize that setting travel for a linear servo over 100% will ruin it, so HH has built in limits so you cannot "bottom out" the servos. Having the "gyro channel" AKA Channel 5 at anything less than about 65% will put you in low rates, while above that number you are in high rates. I dont recommend low rates for anyone unless they dont have good hand control or are pretty new to heli's. Even indoors I tend to crash more when I have it on low rates, since I know what the heli is capable of, and on low rates it doesn't respond as fast as it "should" to an emergency anti-cupboard maneuver...

Remember, just because its published on the web, doesn't mean its right... leaving it set to 0% leaves you in low rates all the time, which means you will never experience the full potential of the heli.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:00 AM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Channel 5 - Gyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
HH knows that people are sometimes "not so smart". Most people dont realize that setting travel for a linear servo over 100% will ruin it, so HH has built in limits so you cannot "bottom out" the servos. Having the "gyro channel" AKA Channel 5 at anything less than about 65% will put you in low rates, while above that number you are in high rates. I dont recommend low rates for anyone unless they dont have good hand control or are pretty new to heli's. Even indoors I tend to crash more when I have it on low rates, since I know what the heli is capable of, and on low rates it doesn't respond as fast as it "should" to an emergency anti-cupboard maneuver...

Remember, just because its published on the web, doesn't mean its right... leaving it set to 0% leaves you in low rates all the time, which means you will never experience the full potential of the heli.
Great Info! So If I set channel 5 (Gyro) to be in High Rate (above 65%), how do stop the servo from bottoming out? I understand that I can file the swash guide down, but on the other end how do I stop the servo from bottoming out? I hope that my original post was clear.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Main Motor and Tail Motor Cooling Fins

Just found a box of parts in my basement (used to be a Blade CP). There were some motor cooling fins in the box, so I cut/sawed them up and glued them (Gorilla Glue CA) onto my 120SR.

Do I think it looks good? Yes. Does it work? No idea, but the fins, especially the tail motor fins, are warm when I'm done flying. Will it help improve motor life? No idea. Overkill on the main motor fins? Yeah, probably...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
I've got CH5 set to zero and 100 and everthing else is default (100%). This does not overrange the servos.

From reading other contributors, setting a channel to 120% travel does not drive it 20% beyond its limits. It just linearly spreads the stick travel. Like non-exponential expo.

IOW, if you don't know exactly what it does, don't do it.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:57 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,186 Posts
Quote:
Great Info! So If I set channel 5 (Gyro) to be in High Rate (above 65%), how do stop the servo from bottoming out? I understand that I can file the swash guide down, but on the other end how do I stop the servo from bottoming out? I hope that my original post was clear.
The servo simply cannot overdrive, so you dont need to worry about it. Is it doing something that concerns you when it "bottoms out"?
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:54 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Just found a box of parts in my basement (used to be a Blade CP). There were some motor cooling fins in the box, so I cut/sawed them up and glued them (Gorilla Glue CA) onto my 120SR.

Do I think it looks good? Yes. Does it work? No idea, but the fins, especially the tail motor fins, are warm when I'm done flying. Will it help improve motor life? No idea. Overkill on the main motor fins? Yeah, probably...
Hey Dak.
Too bad you didn't have an infrared temp gun to check temps before and after the fins. Would be intersting to know.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:35 AM
mCP-X, mSR-X, DX6i
Joined Aug 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The servo simply cannot overdrive, so you dont need to worry about it. Is it doing something that concerns you when it "bottoms out"?
No, it's not doing anything that concerns me, except running out of servo travel slightly before I run out of stick on the controller. If it's not a problem, then no worries. Thanks!!!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:47 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
My reason for using the RX's dual rates and the TX's dual rates is it gives me quad rates.. And in my head four is better than two..

As one that flies the 120SR outside in the calm, outside in the wind and inside the house I like being able to dial in the heli to the flying conditions and mission at hand..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:

That's kind of why I was asking in my last post about people's experience with MicroHeli's aluminum swash for the 120SR. Beneficial?

Oh yeah, and DANG, I am loving the DX6i!!! Both on my 120SR and mSR!

Cooling fin pictures coming up next!
The MH swash balls are longer than the stock. I've got it on the short ones and it feels like the long ones of the stock. I haven't even had the need as of yet to use the long ones.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:

I found that a heat sink did leave my motor a little cooler after a flight. However, whether it saves the motor from burning out, or if it's worth the extra weight, I can't tell.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
878 Posts
I've been flyiing my 120SR with the radio that came with the MCX2, and loving it. Had it out this weekend a while camping. Flew it numerous times outdoors in light wind and it flew great. Big open field with some lights scattered around, I was able to fly at night several times. Zipping around in a cloud of bugs is great fun, they "THWACK" when the blades hit em! ;-)

I've learned what compensation is necessary to fly with this particular transmitter, and it flies great. I'll hold off on the nice transmitter for now, and just buy one of the good packages that the Walkera X2 comes out with.

A bunch of friends were running four-wheel drive cars, and asking "how hard is it to learn helicopters?" I told them the learning curve is quite a bit steeper than cars. But they all swear that when we do the camping again next year, they'll all have a helicopter.
cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55