(retracted).
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I saw that same thread at HF.
And yup the adapter plug that comes with the 120 SR fits the msr celectra charger fine.
But it only charges at .03a....so that would make me think it might charge slower than the included charger that can charge a max of .07a...lol

There is someone around here who has opened up the celectra charge and increased the output voltage so mabey that could be done...let me see if i can find it..
The selectra charger can chargr @ .1 to .7a you choose by pressing the + or - button. for the mSR batteries it is .3, for the Tandem and 120SR it is .7.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Note that there's Four different Celectra chargers... I think he meant this one... no adjustments accessible to the consumer...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLC1004AC

Instead of this one, which is obviously adjustable...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLC1006
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
forget to mention that LVC hits when the battery gets to 3.75V. So, no worry about over discharging the battey. The included charger seems to be about exactly the same time to charge with the same amp setting and starting voltage as my imax B-6.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Note that there's Four different Celectra chargers... I think he meant this one... no adjustments accessible to the consumer...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLC1004AC

Instead of this one, which is obviously adjustable...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLC1006
My BAD, I responded before reading the next few entries. When I got to the one where someone said they charged 4 at once I figured out that he was talking about the mSR charger instead of the 120SR supplied charger.
Sorry
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:34 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
I'm talking about the Celectra 4 port charger that comes with the msr.
Saying that it would charge the 120 sr battery at a lower rate than the charger included with the 120 sr.

I learned from the msr...don't run the battery down till the lvc kicks on.It will ruin your battery.
Set a timer,i think i read that the lvc is comming on at 7:30 for the 120 sr with stock battery so i would set it for 6:30 or if you want to cut it close at 7:30.
Check the battery voltage at the begining and at the end of the flight,that will tell you whats going on and how far down the battery is.
See if the lvc that you say comes on at 3.75v is telling the truth.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:35 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Thats alright,i was responding as you were posting the mistake..lol
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Thats alright,i was responding as you were posting the mistake..lol
no problem.

I also did a test flight to lvc 7.32m, so I set dX6i timer to 6.00m
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
See if the lvc that you say comes on at 3.75v is telling the truth.
That seems way high... if that's a measured value, I'm betting that you're getting a lot of voltage drop under load, the LVC is kicking in at some more normal value, and then the resting voltage of your battery is staying up high. I've had this happen when using an inadequate battery - LVC kicks in because the ESC is seeing 3V per cell, but then you measure it after the flight and the resting voltage is high.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,700 Posts
Quote:
No it is just wedged between the motor and the plastic mount that holds it.

The tail motor does seem to be glued to the tail mount with some kind of black shiny epoxy looking stuff.
That would defeat the purpose of a tail motor plug unless you could cut the epoxy away to remove the tail motor.Right now everything is good and i'm sure when it comes time to remove the tail motor i will find a way...lol
The tail motor comes as a unit installed in thethe tail boom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
forget to mention that LVC hits when the battery gets to 3.75V. So, no worry about over discharging the battey. The included charger seems to be about exactly the same time to charge with the same amp setting and starting voltage as my imax B-6.

That seems way high... if that's a measured value, I'm betting that you're getting a lot of voltage drop under load, the LVC is kicking in at some more normal value, and then the resting voltage of your battery is staying up high. I've had this happen when using an inadequate battery - LVC kicks in because the ESC is seeing 3V per cell, but then you measure it after the flight and the resting voltage is high.
Im betting thats the resting voltage after a LVC, A lipo resting voltage of 3.7v would mean its got around 10% of its power left...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:02 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,972 Posts
What about this charger?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=TMEXTRMPB
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
The Celectra charger that comes with the mSR, if you open it up there are variable resistors on each chargeing port. They can be turned up or down to increase mah output (not sure how high it will max out at), they are for fine tuning at the factory.

They sell the leads seperate for the celectra end to JST, so you could run 4 120 batteries at a time, in theory anyway.

You can also use single chargers that come with the mCX series, not sure what the inside of those look like or if they have pots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144387

edit: The ac/dc adapter that comes with the msr celectra is rated 1.5 amps so Id think max you could do safely is 3 500's, still would take longer, but at least each charging port is a seperate circuit. (balanced)
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Aug 18, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post

Thats a parallel charger problem with that is theres no balanceing.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:
I learned from the msr...don't run the battery down till the lvc kicks on.It will ruin your battery.
I'm guessing your battery got ruined cause you forgot to unplug it, and drained it to low, or repeatedly charged, discharged, charged, discharged, ... without cool down time?

I have almost always run my mSR to LVC (LED flashing - crippled mode). After one year now. I don't believe I've seen much negative results.

If the engineers were smart the LVC (LED flashing - crippled mode) would be "idiot" proof and come on before bad things could happen to the battery; however, they did allow pilot "overide" feature allowing pilot to continue "emergency" operation even though the "alarms" are going off.

After one year, and 100's? of charges, I get about 4:50 on my stock 120mAh.

Based on my observations, I'm not going to worry about it anymore, cause I believe the engineers have designed it to be somewhat idiot proof.

Also, I leave my LiPos on the charger 24/7. The only time they are off is when flying or cooling down before plugging back on charger. I believe properly designed LiPo chargers can't overcharge (as the battery becomes more charged, the charge current continually drops, until it reaches full charge and no longer is able to draw current - the red charge LED's imply this).

Have fun
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812