SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
i think what was happening is the so called dump of the nechargable vs alkaline . you have less time to get your heli/plane down and in some cases you get it down faster than you would like and look and see a good voltage and minutes later beeping . im not agenced using rechargables just was letting people use caution and use a good set of ni-mh and never nicad .
Yup I know what your saying. I know for a fact that they have less staying power and myself would be reluctant to use them for a day at the park. Alkalines will last longer, and be more reliable.

For the home/house/shop flights the rechargables are fine.

I would never put an expensive aircraft at the mercy of Ni-MH batts.

Batts are cheap compared to repairs!

BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:06 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Yup I know what your saying. I know for a fact that they have less staying power and myself would be reluctant to use them for a day at the park. Alkalines will last longer, and be more reliable.

For the home/house/shop flights the rechargables are fine.

I would never put an expensive aircraft at the mercy of Ni-MH batts.

Batts are cheap compared to repairs!

BD
You Wouldn't? That is what a new DX8 comes with, and they work fantastic.
In fact, I think most new radios comes with Ni-MH batteries
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:37 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
You Wouldn't? That is what a new DX8 comes with, and they work fantastic.
In fact, I think most new radios comes with Ni-MH batteries
Ron
I know Ron, my DX6i came with them also. I use them in both of my DX6i's to fly my 120's and Blade 450 3d. I dont really deem these aircraft expensive. I meant if I owned one of those $2000.00 dollar planes or such, I think I would have a new set of alkalines in the TX, or at least make sure a fresh charge was put on the Ni-MH batts, that are in good shape. Bottom line is, no matter what batts are used, keep the TX voltage above the minimum at all times.

Kyle
Last edited by BattleDude; Sep 18, 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:59 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcphreak View Post
i think what was happening is the so called dump of the nechargable vs alkaline . you have less time to get your heli/plane down and in some cases you get it down faster than you would like and look and see a good voltage and minutes later beeping . im not agenced using rechargables just was letting people use caution and use a good set of ni-mh and never nicad .
Yup they dump faster, when they are gone, they are gone.

Kyle
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I know Ron, my DX6i came with them also. I use them in both of my DX6i's to fly my 120's and Blade 450 3d. I dont really deem these aircraft expensive. I meant if I owned one of those $2000.00 dollar planes or such, I think I would have a new set of alkalines in the TX, or at least make sure a fresh charge was put on the Ni-MH batts, that are in good shape. Bottom line is, no matter what batts are used, keep the TX voltage above the minimum at all times.

Kyle
Had to double check - sure enough, my tx came with nimh batts. I used the term nicad the way we use Kleenex to mean tissue. Maybe my age is showing lol

I've never been especially disciplined when it comes to hobbies; rc is changing all that. My tx displays voltage prominently, but it discharges so slowly that it could sneak up on me. Note to self - glance at the voltage before, or better yet after, each flight. Oh yeah, and carry a set of alkalines for backup.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:32 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
If the 4.8v DX6i battery is anything like the DX8 battery it will last for over 10 hrs. of flying. The DX8 has a 2000 mil 4.8v battery. I don't know what the DX6i has.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
I've been running Nimh rechargeables in all my rc Tx's (air & land) I have never had a problem.

1.2v is just the "rated" voltage, my Tx's indicator reads about 5.2 or so with a fresh charge on all 4 and that charge has always enough to fly through at least 30-40 heli batts (or more, that's just a guess). I never even run them down to or below 4.8v, I usually put them on the charger when they get down to about 4.9-5v.

Most Tx's we use (DX6i, LP5DSM, HP5DSM) have a voltage indicator on them so if you ever do have a problem b/c of Tx batts it's probably your own fault for not checking them more regularly.

The newer Nimh rechargeables don't have the old memory problems the Nicd's had and with capacities around 2000-2200Mah+ there is absolutely no reason not to use them.

With the amount of AA's we can go through in a year rechargeables are the more "earth-friendly" choice in addition to being quite a bit cheaper than alkalines.

I agree that rechargeables may not be the best choice for higher drain applications (ie: cameras) but an rc Tx is a fairly low drain (at least compared to a camera flash...).

There's my two cents, I think rechargeable fear should be a thing of the past-just like Nicd's.
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
HP6DSM Fail!! lol! Something is whacked. I bind with the 120, #4 Dip switch up all others down. All switches thrown away from the front of the radio. So here is the strange part. I have no throttle. However, if I flick the throttle hold switch back and forth.... it goes into full throttle, but the throttle control still does not do anything. Strange part # 2. If I bind with dip switches 4,7,8 up throttle works but the controls are all backwards. With out turning the radio off, or the 120. If I put 7 and 8 down with only 4 up..... I have throttle and all controls are normal.
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
HP6DSM Fail!! lol! Something is whacked. I bind with the 120, #4 Dip switch up all others down. All switches thrown away from the front of the radio. So here is the strange part. I have no throttle. However, if I flick the throttle hold switch back and forth.... it goes into full throttle, but the throttle control still does not do anything. Strange part # 2. If I bind with dip switches 4,7,8 up throttle works but the controls are all backwards. With out turning the radio off, or the 120. If I put 7 and 8 down with only 4 up..... I have throttle and all controls are normal.
With the instructions I gave you, did you hold the trainer lever forward "before" turning on the TX? Plug heli in first. LVC light will blink quickly. Then do the above and "wait" for the solid red light on the LVC before releasing the trainer lever.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Hey Mike. Yes, followed your instructions to the letter. Just got done binding the MCX2, same thing. Once the Heli is bound, (with dip switch 4 up all others down) this is what I have to do. Turn radio on, plug battery into the Heli, light on Heli turns solid. At this point I have no throttle. Now I push dip switch 7 up and engage throttle, I have throttle control. Push dip switch 7 down, and I have throttle control as well as normal control. As long as I do not turn the radio off, everything works. Turn the radio off, and I have to repeat the above work around. Stranger than fiction.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Hey Mike. Yes, followed your instructions to the letter. Just got done binding the MCX2, same thing. Once the Heli is bound, (with dip switch 4 up all others down) this is what I have to do. Turn radio on, plug battery into the Heli, light on Heli turns solid. At this point I have no throttle. Now I push dip switch 7 up and engage throttle, I have throttle control. Push dip switch 7 down, and I have throttle control as well as normal control. As long as I do not turn the radio off, everything works. Turn the radio off, and I have to repeat the above work around. Stranger than fiction.
You do have the throttle trim all the way down right?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Yes, have tried it with throttle all the way down, and midway. Its like I have to throw dip switch 7 to engage (release?) the throttle. lol!! I have a super secret, unlock the Heli combination procedure. No one flying away with my chopper, with out knowing the combo.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:34 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,495 Posts
The top right knob is all the way CW and the left knob all the way CCW? All your trims are centered except the throttle which is all the way down right?

oopps, Bob already mentioned that
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Yep Yep. lol!! No big deal, I am glad that I found a work around. Have to throw 7 to arm the throttle. No idea, how I figured that out.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,622 Posts
Black, like I said in an earlier post, I couldn't begin to tell you what each individual DIP switch does, because I could not find any documentation on them. But the 120SR I recently purchased came with a HP6DSM. The DIP sw on mine are 3,5,7 ON, the rest are OFF. I asked the seller how he figured that. He said "Trial and Error". That's all I could say, and my 120SR flies fine. So, if all else fail, give that settings a try. If it doesn't work, you could always go back to what it was before.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad