HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Mike, what did this research say, was the drawback to charging them in the TX? Shortened batt life or safety reasons?

Reason I ask is because the DX6i comes with Ni-MH 1.5v batts and a charger(the one I decribed in my previuos post) that is specifically for charging them in the TX. Got me wondering now!

BD(Kyle)
If I recall, you have to take the rechargeables out of the TX and put them in a regular stand alone charger designed for these batts. One poster claimed he did this about once a month to keep the full charge up. Evidently, it must lose some of it's UMPFF over a certain time charging them in the TX. Who knows I guess the only way is to actually try it and take voltage reading. It has nothing to do about safety so, you're cool there

Mike.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just overthinking things again, but don't these nicads have some kind of "memory"? In the "old days", if you didn't let them discharge down far enough, after a while they would 'remember" the voltage where you quit charging and after a while they wouldn't discharge below that point.

The on board charger on my dx6i charges my nicads up to 5.7V. After the initial charge I ran them down to about 4.3V; that's when the tx started beeping at me so I had time to get the heli on the ground.

After recharging up to 5.7V again I ran it down to about 4.5V before plugging in the charger cable. Estimated "on" time after each of the first two charges was about 5 hours.

I've used about 20 minutes of "On" time since the last charge and the volt meter still reads 5.6V.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:30 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,108 Posts
Pilgram The "AA" rechargeables I have, have no memory effect. These have given me great service for well over a year now.
http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...ies-97866.html

I have 16 of them as my Esky TX takes 8 and another TX takes 4. I keep them in rotation. And, like advertised they have no memory...kinda like myself

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just overthinking things again, but don't these nicads have some kind of "memory"? In the "old days", if you didn't let them discharge down far enough, after a while they would 'remember" the voltage where you quit charging and after a while they wouldn't discharge below that point.

The on board charger on my dx6i charges my nicads up to 5.7V. After the initial charge I ran them down to about 4.3V; that's when the tx started beeping at me so I had time to get the heli on the ground.

After recharging up to 5.7V again I ran it down to about 4.5V before plugging in the charger cable. Estimated "on" time after each of the first two charges was about 5 hours.

I've used about 20 minutes of "On" time since the last charge and the volt meter still reads 5.6V.[
/QUOTE]

Back in the "old days" when I started flying, (1973) we used Ni-Cd, they had memory problems. But by the mid 1990s and certainly by 2000 almost everything was Ni-MH, and the memory problem was history.
If you are using any batteries that are pre 2000 you probably should stop using them.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,108 Posts
^^^^
Ron, you are starting to show your age

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:57 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Back in the "old days" when I started flying, (1973) we used Ni-Cd, they had memory problems. But by the mid 1990s and certainly by 2000 almost everything was Ni-MH, and the memory problem was history. If you are using any batteries that are pre 2000 you probably should stop using them. Ron[/QUOTE]
That's good to know - I didn't like running the tx down so far and risk having it give up on me with a heli in the air. Think I'll still let it discharge down to 5.0V or so.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
636 Posts
Vote best advice of 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Blackanthem, I dont think it matters where the throttle position is when turning on the TX. I always set it to minimum, just in case the throttle hold was not on. Didn't want the copter to take off without me aboard!

BD
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:01 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Just installed Dylwad's custom battery mount and it should be a big improvement. I used ca to attach Velcro to the mount and it seems to be holding well; what kind of glue should I use to attach the Velcro to the batteries?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:05 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Just installed Dylwad's custom battery mount and it should be a big improvement. I used ca to attach Velcro to the mount and it seems to be holding well; what kind of glue should I use to attach the Velcro to the batteries?

I use sticky back Velcro,,, but I'm sure CA will work..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I use sticky back Velcro,,, but I'm sure CA will work..
DOH - sticky back comes with the batteries - should work fine on them. CA doesn't seem to stick to them; even after it cured the Velcro peeled right off. I did use CA to fasten the Velcro to the mount because there's not as much surface area to work with.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
I use sticky back velcro on the mount, and a piece of scotch tape on the top side, encapsulating the mount between sticky

Sticky back velcro sticks to the cells almost too good. make sure to clean the cells with rubbing alcohol first though. Also the Pressure sensitive adhesive bond on velcro gets stronger over time.

Dylan
Dylwad is online now Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
I use sticky back velcro on the mount, and a piece of scotch tape on the top side, encapsulating the mount between sticky

Sticky back velcro sticks to the cells almost too good. make sure to clean the cells with rubbing alcohol first though. Also the Pressure sensitive adhesive bond on velcro gets stronger over time.

Dylan
I used a piece of sew-on Velcro from my wife's sewing stash and CA'd it to the mount frame - it's not going anywhere. Got in 3 flights before dark - came in a little hard on the 1st landing and the batt popped out. Then I used a 6" rule as a "tongue depressor" to load the next batt and tamp it in place - worked like a charm. Next two flights were flawless - thanks, Dylan!

Jon
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Vote best advice of 2011
Ur nuts Black!

BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:57 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Pilgram The "AA" rechargeables I have, have no memory effect. These have given me great service for well over a year now.
http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...ies-97866.html

I have 16 of them as my Esky TX takes 8 and another TX takes 4. I keep them in rotation. And, like advertised they have no memory...kinda like myself

Mike.
The AA Ni-MH rechargables I have do not seem to have any memory effect. I have been using two sets of 4 for years now on a part time basis. I cant believe they are still going.

BD
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:03 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I don't think it matters but, it was only a bench test. I didn't actually fly it. I just observed the anti rotational pin on different settings.

Mike.
I bench- and flight-tested the gyro in both positions - as far as I could tell the pin never went anywhere near the bottom of the guide no matter what I did. Not sure what Mr. Salt saw...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
rcphreak, I am not sure about that. I dont see how lower TX voltage relates to shorter range, until the TX voltage gets to its minimum voltage. Are you sure thats the way it works? I think you may have seen planes eat the dirt because the rechargables simply didnt last long enough and dropped below the minimum TX voltage. If I was going to "the park" I think I would throw in a set of brand new alkalines, or have the capability of "refreshing" the rechargables at the park. But I have only flown at home except a couple times and have not done any charging in the field.

But I have run both types in my camera also, and the rechargables simply run out of "juice" considerably faster.

BD
i think what was happening is the so called dump of the nechargable vs alkaline . you have less time to get your heli/plane down and in some cases you get it down faster than you would like and look and see a good voltage and minutes later beeping . im not agenced using rechargables just was letting people use caution and use a good set of ni-mh and never nicad .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak