SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:28 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Regarding to switching to the long balls... I installed the Microheli swashplate and thought that I'd try the short ones first since they are a little longer than the stock version. Having been on the the stock long balls only before switching, I am amazed that I am getting all the response I need with the short ones. In fact I'm a little hesitant to switch to the Microheli long balls--thinking it'll be more responsive than I'm ready for.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Bob, now I see where you are coming from. Lets just say that my flying technique is a bit different. Yes, you need a lot of ground to slow down, let alone stopping. I usually keep it with the throttle basically at the same level, apply hard left yaw then back/stick ELE as the heli begins to turn. Now is the time I start slowing her, keeping in mind she is heading back at you like a bat out of hell. This is my best technique for turning a fast moving heli to come back to you. I was completely floored when I applied this same technique to the 120SR. I can turn this on a dime with nine cents change.

Mike.
I love the sound the blades make as it goes sailing pass me and I start the pull up and roll to the right.. Even sounds better with the Hyperion 850 pack..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:20 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Beer Summitt!!!!! I'll bring the pretzles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
I'll be there! lol

Kyle
As a taxpayer, in good standing, I am not willing to buy............
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:25 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
As a taxpayer, in good standing, I am not willing to buy............
Ron
Send the bill to OBummer
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:08 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Thanks for all the reply's, I knew I would learn a thing or two. Blackanthem, I have ordered that E-Book and am in the process of reading it. Looks like some good stuff. Chap1012, I'll try adjusting the push rods after I try the other suggestions, it just may be my flying skills or lack there of. Bob, going to switch to the longer balls / high rate. I like your analogy: "0" = O = Outside, "1" =I = Inside. And yes I'm using heli mode. Rich, swash plate is level and all control arms are on properly, check them after each flight attempt. All my flying has been done outside in next to still air. I'll save the "rolling turns" for later .BD, got Salt's E-Guide, good stuff.
Thanks again for all the reply's, I'll let ya's know how I make out.
Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
Thanks for all the reply's, I knew I would learn a thing or two. Blackanthem, I have ordered that E-Book and am in the process of reading it. Looks like some good stuff. Chap1012, I'll try adjusting the push rods after I try the other suggestions, it just may be my flying skills or lack there of. Bob, going to switch to the longer balls / high rate. I like your analogy: "0" = O = Outside, "1" =I = Inside. And yes I'm using heli mode. Rich, swash plate is level and all control arms are on properly, check them after each flight attempt. All my flying has been done outside in next to still air. I'll save the "rolling turns" for later .BD, got Salt's E-Guide, good stuff.
Thanks again for all the reply's, I'll let ya's know how I make out.
You will do fine, I can tell already.
Cheers,
BD
BattleDude is online now Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap1012 View Post
send the bill to obummer:d:d
lol lol
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Bob, now I see where you are coming from. Lets just say that my flying technique is a bit different. Yes, you need a lot of ground to slow down, let alone stopping. I usually keep it with the throttle basically at the same level, apply hard left yaw then back/stick ELE as the heli begins to turn. Now is the time I start slowing her, keeping in mind she is heading back at you like a bat out of hell. This is my best technique for turning a fast moving heli to come back to you. I was completely floored when I applied this same technique to the 120SR. I can turn this on a dime with nine cents change.

Mike.
True story Mike, I can and have only experienced the partial capabilty of the 120SR, and will never be able to experience its true capabilty. I will never be able to keep up with the pro's, but I have alot of fun trying.

I am starting to think that the pilots skills and flying style are the biggest variable in RC flight.

I have trouble outside in the wind, long range(no depth perception), but do better inside with no wind and closer range.

Happy Flying All
BD
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:31 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
True or false - lipo batteries don't like the cold

This afternoon I left my tx, heli and batteries in the car with the windows rolled down for about an hour waiting for the wind to die down. Ambient temp was about 50 deg F.

When I took off on the first flight everything seemed normal, but after about 45 sec the heli lost power and settled in for a soft landing. I checked everything over and tried again - same result. Volt meter registered 4.10 so I tried one more time, same result.

One of the local heli pilots took me over to the charging station; he confirmed that the battery was okay, still almost fully charged. Then he said that lipo batteries don't like the cold. I warmed it up in my pocket, but when I got back to the tx it was beeping at me - needed charging. Gave up and came home. Whaddaya think? Was it the cold?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:40 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
This afternoon I left my tx, heli and batteries in the car with the windows rolled down for about an hour waiting for the wind to die down. Ambient temp was about 50 deg F.

When I took off on the first flight everything seemed normal, but after about 45 sec the heli lost power and settled in for a soft landing. I checked everything over and tried again - same result. Volt meter registered 4.10 so I tried one more time, same result.

One of the local heli pilots took me over to the charging station; he confirmed that the battery was okay, still almost fully charged. Then he said that lipo batteries don't like the cold. I warmed it up in my pocket, but when I got back to the tx it was beeping at me - needed charging. Gave up and came home. Whaddaya think? Was it the cold?
Yes it was the cold,, keep batteries in the warm car or in a inside pocket I use my shirt pocket.. A jacket pocket is to cold for them.. When really cold out I preheat them in the trucks heater vents..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:41 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,819 Posts
Pilgram, lipos do not like cold. Keep the batts in your pocket close to your body temp. If the TX has a lipo as well keep that warm too.

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
True story Mike, I can and have only experienced the partial capabilty of the 120SR, and will never be able to experience its true capabilty. I will never be able to keep up with the pro's, but I have alot of fun trying.

I am starting to think that the pilots skills and flying style are the biggest variable in RC flight.

I have trouble outside in the wind, long range(no depth perception), but do better inside with no wind and closer range.

Happy Flying All
BD
If pilot skill and flying style were the biggest variables I'd be in a lot of trouble - plus I'm legally blind in most states without my glasses. The biggest improvement I've seen has been a direct result of plugging Mr. Salt's DR/EXPO settings into my tx; the difference was immediate and amazing. I have 0 trim in all three axes and the heli flies like a pussycat - okay, I know cats can't fly unless it's raining but you get the idea lol.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:51 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the info re cold batteries. I assume that once airborne with a warm one, normal discharging during flight will keep it warm for the duration, right?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:35 AM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Just check the temp at the end of *your* flights, too much depends on battery condition, air temperature, flight style, etc. Similar symptoms can occur as the motor starts to draw more power as it wears or increased resistance from wear and tear on the wires.

You could also search through Livonia Bob or one of the other Canadians' posts, they have discussed tips/tricks and troubleshooting.

I have a little Radio Shack IR temperature meter that I clip to my neck-strap.

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
How much does the 808 weigh?
According to Mrs. NHawks kitchen weight it weighs 12-13grams, whithout the keychain

The 120 SR weighs 14-15grams with the battery. So its almost twice as heavy with the keychain cam on.
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness