HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:40 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
I've finally flown it long enough to start noticing some details - why does the SR 120 appear to tilt to one side all the time? It flies just fine but looks kinda weird.
Torque. All helicopters will tilt unless they are so big the weight compensates.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:07 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,140 Posts
yeah; its pretty easy really

just get high enough; pull back on the stick and go into a half arch, then push forward and hold, the heli should flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Tonight I looped my 120
No way man! U did seriously![/QUOTE]
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,140 Posts
Same here

and the helis I did fly were CP, and now i'm having a hard time flying 120 due to pendulum effect lol.

had a good flight tonight though, but winds were low

Ron

you have some walkera's do you not?

Have you seen or heard about the new Genius CP?

I want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I'm good, got to admit, I have been ignoring my helis too much this summer. Been flying planks.
Winter season, indoor coming up, looking forward to that.
MSR
SR120
mCPX
Ron
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,140 Posts
makes me wonder what is wrong with mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
No, it amazed me the first time when I gave it what I knew as normal throttle and it shot right up.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:40 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Same here

and the helis I did fly were CP, and now i'm having a hard time flying 120 due to pendulum effect lol.

had a good flight tonight though, but winds were low

Ron

you have some walkera's do you not?

Have you seen or heard about the new Genius CP?

I want one

I had a 4#6, that wasn't too bad, I guess. Thankfully I got rid of it when I got the mCPX.
I DO NOT want another Xalkera. Genius or Exodus, thank You.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:29 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,140 Posts
that bad eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I had a 4#6, that wasn't too bad, I guess. Thankfully I got rid of it when I got the mCPX.
I DO NOT want another Xalkera. Genius or Exodus, thank You.
Ron
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:45 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,920 Posts
Quote:
I've finally flown it long enough to start noticing some details - why does the SR 120 appear to tilt to one side all the time? It flies just fine but looks kinda weird.
I think its normal Pilgrim. All mine do it. Its just from the inertia of the rotor blades turning in one direction, and the tail rotor trying to counter that motion of the main blades.
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:25 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I think its normal Pilgrim. All mine do it. Its just from the inertia of the rotor blades turning in one direction, and the tail rotor trying to counter that motion of the main blades.
I remember the little toy gyroscopes we had as kids. We'd get them spinning then set them on the table to see how long they'd go before falling over. If we pushed on the top of the "cage", i.e. applied torque to the spinning axis, the gyro would try to move at right angles to the direction we pushed - precession.

The tail rotor of a heli is always applying torque at an angle to the axis of the main rotor - I wonder if we aren't just seeing the heli respond by precessing? This wouldn't happen to a coaxial heli since no torque is applied to the axis of the spinning rotors.

Precession wouldn't be as noticeable in a larger, heavier heli. As the earth revolves around the sun it is constantly moving at an angle to its own rotation; the sun applies gravitational "torque" at right angles to the earth's axis. It takes 22,000 years for the earth to "wobble" - precess - in response.

Jon
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Sep 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,009 Posts
Quote:
It takes 22,000 years for the earth to "wobble" - precess - in response.

Jon
On yeah, I think I felt that wobble just as I got out of bed this morning.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2007
151 Posts
Quote:
The main rotor must supply some lateral thrust vector to counteract the sideways thrust of the tail rotor. If the main rotor was level, the helicopter would move sideways. This occurs on all single rotor helicopters.

The sideways thrust from the tail rotor worst case is when hovering (actually accelerating out of a hover). You are most likely notice this effect when trying to hover in one spot.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
The main rotor must supply some lateral thrust vector to counteract the sideways thrust of the tail rotor. If the main rotor was level, the helicopter would move sideways. This occurs on all single rotor helicopters.

The sideways thrust from the tail rotor worst case is when hovering (actually accelerating out of a hover). You are most likely notice this effect when trying to hover in one spot.
The tail rotor controls yaw, right? It counteracts the tendency of the heli to rotate in the same direction as the main rotor; varying the tail motor speed allows the heli to yaw left or right - or not. How could the tail rotor move the entire heli sideways?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
makes me wonder what is wrong with mine?
I was flying again today against a breeze when it took my heli away and about to crash. I hit the throttle and it popped right up out of it's near crash. This was with the extra weight of lights and a 2nd battery. I am thinking that you didn't get a good one.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
The tail rotor controls yaw, right? It counteracts the tendency of the heli to rotate in the same direction as the main rotor; varying the tail motor speed allows the heli to yaw left or right - or not. How could the tail rotor move the entire heli sideways?
Because while the tail rotor's primary purpose is to create or stop a rotation or "anti-torque" (force + moment arm), since you do not have another one on the front pointing the other way, it is also generating an unbalanced linear force. As hovering has been described as balancing a marble on a beach-ball covered in oil, it doesn't take very much (really the inside of a bowl for the 45* flybar on the 120SR). And while the seat of your pants tells you "if an unbalanced force acted there, wouldn't that spin it around" --remember, the tail rotor's entire job is attempting to restrain that sort of thing already, so it is only the small unbalanced bit that needs a slight lean in the main rotors to balance it out.

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:00 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,140 Posts
Perhaps

I am thinking its my lipos - my intellect 550's are getting tired and wont even fly for 4 min anymore.

need some hyperions maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I was flying again today against a breeze when it took my heli away and about to crash. I hit the throttle and it popped right up out of it's near crash. This was with the extra weight of lights and a 2nd battery. I am thinking that you didn't get a good one.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
I'm thinking I have a bad one. My 120 SR is nowhere near as easy to fly as my mSR...
xenophobe is offline Find More Posts by xenophobe