SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,611 Posts
I have three E-Flite products - an mCX, an mSR and a Blade 400.

No problems what so ever with the mCX or mSR. Tons of flights. Never had the rear motor cap pop off either. Except I bought two additional E-Flite 120mAh lipos for the mSR that only lasted a few months.

Blade 400 - quality problems; battery, charger, & 420 motor. And, my first contact with tech support to correct the problems didn't go well at all. The second one did, but the first one caused me to wonder. Still, I'm disappointed. The B400 flys very well now, but out of the box it did not. Had to re-do all of the basic mechanical CP heli setup for it to behave well. The ESC/BEC and 420 motor remain a mystery (no tech specs what so ever). After the mCX and mSR I expected better.

So, I'm on the fence. Not a hater, not a lover. I'll just watch and see what they do. Fixing the B400's quality problems would score mega points with me. The B400 is a great heli, when it's built & setup right with reliable components - it should just come that way out of the box as to match the product's advertisements & implications of superior design ("#1 by Design").

But, the mCX did get me hooked ... then I got a Quark which flys very well, so I don't have a need for an SR 120 at the moment. I would be interested in a CP of that size however. Regardless, I'm not happy to hear about the brushed motors.

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jun 25, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:11 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I think they are; and none of my e-flite/blade helicopters have been reliable.

My mCX, mSR, and SR have all have/had a lot of problems. On both the mSR and the mCX the all in one untils went out, the servos got sticky and wore out rapidly, the tail motors & fly bar wore out quickly on the mSR etc.

I loved the way the my mSR/mCX flies when they are new, and when they work I enjoy them, but the quality is not there. The electronics has not held up at all, and when I called them they did not once offer a free part to replace the defective ones, they just sent me to the parts to department to buy parts. Hardly what I would call fantastic customer service or standing behind thier products.

Which brings us to the SR. It has ALOT of issues. Swash plates coming apart in flight is an issue, Tail motors burning up every 10 or so flights is an issue, the head slop is an issue, the failure rates on the ESC's is an issue, Peristant tail wag is an issue, Parts shortages are an issue... The list goes on and on...

The SR is RTF pile of issues...

I don't expect an entry level CP to have the performance of a more advanced CP, such as the Align TREX 250, but in terms of quality, and just basic good flight characteristics (like the tail not wagging) it makes no diffrence if it is entry level or not. I should be built well, and not (literly) fall out of the sky; hell on the SR, people are UPGRADING the gyro to a $13 401B clone, what does that tell you about the quality of the electronics on the SR?

As too electronics I'll say this... I have two e-flite micro's, and two walkera micro's. The walkera's both have at least three times the number of flights and crashes on them than the e-flite's. Both eflites have required servos, all-in-one bords and motors, the only electronics I have had to replace on the walkera's is a servo, and that was purely due to crash damage.

I started off with e-flite products; as such I kept buying them, but over time as my problems and frustrations mounted, I started buying other products, the SR completely killed my trust in e-flite.

I will not buy another eflite product until they at least provide a retro-active "fix" for the SR. Meaning they fix the tail, fix the swash plate, and fix the head slop; and yes, fix them free of charge.

Cheers
Mr msr was from the first week they released. No servo problems, no electronic problems at all. The only thing that has ever broke on it was the blade grip and that was super glued back on and been flying ever since. The flybar does have a little slop in it but for the amount of flights and crashes that it has taken, There is not another helicopter on the market that could have lasted through what I put that poor thing through and its still going strong.
My mcx is now with a friend and still going strong. My mcx2 has not had any electronic issues yet. My Tandem hasn't had any electronic issues either. Im not saying they are perfect, I have had issues with both my tandem and mcx2 for strange quarks they have but it has never been an issue with electronics.
I have had other helis that cost more and cost less than the eflight stuff, that I had tons of issues with electronic problems.

I salute them for their quality. Before them, there were not many helis out there that you could "crash" and just pick it right back up and start flying it again let alone crash multiple times with little to no issues, especially in these small sizes.
My personal opinion is that many people push these helis far beyond what they were designed for and then want to blame the company because they don't hold up to their abuse. Now thats not to say there wont be defects that can creep up from time to time, but I dont think the blame is all on the company for many of these issues that people have.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:41 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
I want one, RIGHT NOW
Right after I got a mSR I wished for a larger mSR, about the size of a CX2. Soon I will have my wish fulfilled.
Thank You Horizon.
Next I want one the size of a HBFP. Then a 600 sized FP using the same technology.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2010
655 Posts
I'll be getting an SR 120, but it is definitely overpriced for something with a brushed motor and all-plastic construction. I'm sure it will fly great, but I think it should have a brushless main motor for that price.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:14 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
If I get one I think I will put one of these on it
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:28 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
i thought the SR 120 had brushless motors?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
It looks to be brushed from what can be seen in the pics
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Jun 25, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Looks like a brushed motor to me too.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:10 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2010
384 Posts
They are brushed motors. It says so on Horizon's web site.
SYMAWD is offline Find More Posts by SYMAWD
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:29 PM
Blade BL, 450 DFC, TSA 600EPro
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
500 Posts
They are brushed motors. Now... in my own opinion drawn from my experiences with BOTH Walkera and E-Flite or "Blade" micro helis, Walkera has durability in their corner, but only by a hair. I say this because of how much more complicated the 4#6 is to repair than the Blade mSR that most of us already know about and/or own. Though the plastic parts of a Blade are much more easily broken, the simplicity of the construction made it much easier for me to fix the mSR that I am now selling for either the 120 SR or the Walkera CB100. I realize the size difference in these two models, but the CB100 has dual brushless motors and the 120 SR still has brushed motors. So... I guess I am now leaning towards another Walkera once again because of the motors.
As far as quality goes, I feel that they are neck in neck until it comes to customer service and parts availability, where Horizon has come though with flying colors. No lhs parts availability for Walkera alone had them ahead IMHO. So there you have it from my now more intermediate pilot point-of-view.
helinewbie617 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie617
Last edited by helinewbie617; Jun 25, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:10 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Oh no....here we go again....

let the SR120 hysteria begin....

count me in/out as watching passively while I pick my next CP heli and enjoy flying my multitudinous planks all summer.

Bud, watching passively Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Oh no....here we go again....

let the SR120 hysteria begin....

count me in/out as watching passively while I pick my next CP heli and enjoy flying my multitudinous planks all summer.

Bud, watching passively Bud
Passively is a verb.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Passively is a verb.
Ron
passively watching then.

see any verbs down there?

pas新ive  un搆as新ive損pas新ive   /ˈp犘ɪv/ Show Spelled[pas-iv] Show IPA
–adjective
1. not reacting visibly to something that might be expected to produce manifestations of an emotion or feeling.
2. not participating readily or actively; inactive: a passive member of a committee.
3. not involving visible reaction or active participation: to play a passive role.
4. inert or quiescent.
5. influenced, acted upon, or affected by some external force, cause, or agency; being the object of action rather than causing action ( opposed to active).
6. receiving or characterized by the reception of impressions or influences from external sources.
7. produced or caused by an external agency.
8. receiving, enduring, or submitting without resistance: a passive hypnotic subject.
9. Grammar .
a. noting a voice in the inflection of the verb in some languages which is used to indicate that the subject undergoes the action of the verb. Latin portātur, “he, she, or it is carried,” is in the passive voice.
b. noting or pertaining to a construction similar to this in meaning, as English He is carried ( opposed to active).
10. Chemistry . inactive, esp. under conditions in which chemical activity is to be expected.
11. Metallurgy . (of a metal) treated so as to impart impassivity.
12. Medicine/Medical . of or pertaining to certain unhealthy but dormant conditions; inactive, as opposed to active or spontaneous.
13. Telecommunications . designed to relay signals without electronic devices: a passive communications satellite.
14. (of a solar heating system) accumulating and distributing solar heat without the aid of machinery.
–noun Grammar .
15. the passive voice.
16. a passive form or construction.
Use passively in a Sentence
See images of passively
Search passively on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1350–1400; ME < L passīvus lit., submissive, equiv. to pass ( us ) (ptp. of patī to experience, undergo, submit) + -īvus -ive

—Related forms
pas新ive損y, adverb
quasi-passive, adjective
qua新i-pas新ive損y, adverb
sem搏搆as新ive, adjective
sem搏搆as新ive損y, adverb
sem搏搆as新ive搖ess, noun
un搆as新ive, adjective
passively, adverb
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Jun 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
lol you guys kill me

lmao
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:22 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Passively is a verb.
Ron
Isn't passively an adverb which modifies the verb watching?

As an aside, many Americans leave the ..ly ending off adverbs.

e.g. Drive slow.

The English language will never be the same.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney