HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:01 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlops365 View Post
it must be the servos moving all wonky then. Nothing is binding because I've replaced every single part except for the 5 in 1, servos, main motor and tail boom/motor. The flybar is loose as a goose. Maybe it was the servos, I don't know. I ordered a brand new 120 BNF and I'll use the old one for spare, but first I'm going to do a comparison with the new bird and old to see exactly where things were going wrong. I'll post back with my results. My mSR did the EXACT same thing and I smashed it with my foot in frustration.
These both with the same radio? If yes, that thats probably the problem.... something wrong with the radio....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:02 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Quote:
I smashed it with my foot in frustration
Geezus, I thought I had anger-management problems.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:13 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
These both with the same radio? If yes, that thats probably the problem.... something wrong with the radio....
I see the point.....now You want to see the radio being smashed to! Haha

No seriously, As You pointed out, I once had a DX6i wich wouldn't "bind" with anything. I would also think it's probably a radio problem.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
New 120 SR owner looking for flying tutorial

I am a brand new 120 SR owner who moved up from a Coaxial. I have searched the forum and youtube but can't seem to find a beginner tutorial on best way to start out to learn to fly by 120SR. Would someone have a pointer to a tips on learning to fly?

thank you
raysr120 is offline Find More Posts by raysr120
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysr120 View Post
I am a brand new 120 SR owner who moved up from a Coaxial. I have searched the forum and youtube but can't seem to find a beginner tutorial on best way to start out to learn to fly by 120SR. Would someone have a pointer to a tips on learning to fly?

thank you
Welcome to RCG Ray. I too am a new flyer of the 120 SR. I have the stock TX which I keep on slow mode. Find yourself a good flying area (indoors if you can, hall, etc.). Outdoors in a calm is also good starting off. The same principal applies to the 120 SR as it would for the coax. First, master the hover tail to you. Then forward a bit and then back. Then work up to a nose in and then circles. Easy on the sticks as this sucker really responds. She will get away from you! No question about it. So the same rule applies about cutting the throttle if you think you are headed for trouble.

I think someone may jump in and advise about putting the links on the long balls of the swash while in slow mode. It suppose to handle a bit gentler. I haven't tried this yet. I had some mods to catch up on. The "fishing line" or "thread" mod so you don't loose your links. I guess they pop off easily. And the landing skid mod to keep your back, left landing skid from damaging your servo should you have a bad landing that hits the skid just right (or wrong, depends how you look at it). These mods shouldn't be too far back as I just did these two. These mods should also be searchable with the tool at the top of each page called "Search this thread." As a Lama V4 flyer, you are gonna love this bird. She turns on a dime with nine cents change

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I didn't get the dx6i until I purchased the 120SR and a plane about a year ago. The mSR was flown with the included RTF radio as I hadn't owned the 120 or a dx6i at the time as I was just getting into RC helis/planes. I flew my neighbor's mcpx with my dx6i just the other day so I doubt it's my radio.

I'll figure it out in a few days when HZ sends me the new bird. I debated on jumping up to the SR or getting the mcpx but the 120 has been so good to me for so long and hasn't nickle and dimed me like the mSR did. I would most certainly get nickle and dimed on a SR!
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Last edited by FlipFlops365; Jul 22, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,169 Posts
hmmm... its just odd that they would both do the exact same thing....
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I flown my 120 SR today at the field, in about 5-7mph winds. Obviously it's not as much fun with that much wind. I have a 1000mah battery, had to push it right into the nose, and was on the harder mode.

But I am impressed that it can still fly forward into such a wind, even without the advanced swashplate settings. That's what's so good about this heli, that you can go from the beginner settings for beginner, to real fast.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,169 Posts
If I have some room, I like the challenge of flying in the wind, but its definitely no fun if you dont have plenty of room...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,636 Posts
@FlipFlops, Just for the heck of it, check to see if your antenna wire is attached to the board. On many models they are small and can go unnoticed.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Jul 25, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysr120 View Post

thank you
Welcome to the world of single rotor helicopters!

RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT or http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

These are aimed at collective pitch helicopters so some things will be easier on your fixed pitch 120 SR. Follow them step by step and they will give you an excellent foundation. They really don't take that much time to go though. Repeat all the lessons when you get your first collective pitch helicopter.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlops365 View Post
it must be the servos moving all wonky then. Nothing is binding because I've replaced every single part except for the 5 in 1, servos, main motor and tail boom/motor. The flybar is loose as a goose. Maybe it was the servos, I don't know. I ordered a brand new 120 BNF and I'll use the old one for spare, but first I'm going to do a comparison with the new bird and old to see exactly where things were going wrong. I'll post back with my results. My mSR did the EXACT same thing and I smashed it with my foot in frustration.
how much $ for the old 5in1?
shtmouth81 is offline Find More Posts by shtmouth81
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:41 AM
Italia, Puglia, Taranto
Joined Feb 2011
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1970 View Post
Hi everybody

after my 3 videos devoted to my 120 sr ...modified in a MD530 of the Italian Army.....( for who of you had not seen them yet, here they are :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI113aclc6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5hQd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GojsY...eature=related
)...............

I started a new adventure...

I bought another one BNF and I started to modify it in order to create a semiscale of the Hughes 300, better know as Schweizer 300

here they are some pictures, I'm preparing also a video, once it will be ready you will see it here as usual :

This is the I first one, I modified the tail boom, adding a plastic shaft and creating the 2 supports...., with wood I created and painted the two caracteristic tail fins of this model, added a heat-sink and changed the landing skids ... after I made a little modification using a silicon tube ( it is the same one used to punp the gasoline to the nitro engine )

adding weight (as already happened to my MD530 ), the original batteries are not good anymore and after several attempts ...I found these 900 mAh batteries 20C from Helipal, believe me...simply fantastic, the heli is now able to fly up to 12 minutes showing more power/speed and output constancy.

I'm extremely satisfied, you will better understand what I'm speaking about after you see the video, it can better mantains and contrast a mid wind.

This was a first solution to lock them in place, due to the fact that being larger of the original one, they cannot be insert anymore in the original frame

I did several test, moving the position of the battery until I found the perfect place in order to obtain a satisfied flight.

I received today the Hughes 300 Canopy....

I still have to do some estetical adjustment, tomorrow I will conclude the video part with this new body and next step will be....conclude the entire video........

I hope with these little modifications, to contributed to share additional informations, useful to everybody .

See you soon with my next video

ciao a tutti dall'Olanda

Fabio:wink:

Hi folks,

here I'm again with another video.
I was so positively impressed by the Blade 120 SR quality, transformed in the
MD530, that I bought another one. This time I tried to turn it into a Hughes 300, better known as the Schweizer 300.

( http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_300 )

After the changes made, it flies very well and it is improved a lot, expecially with the new battery used.

Here it is in its " relative " Beauty....

and this is the video :

RC Heli - E-Flite Blade 120 SR , with HUGHES 300-SCHWEIZER 300 - Scale Body fuselage (16 min 7 sec)

I hope you like it

best regards to everyone from Holland

Fabio
Fabio1970 is offline Find More Posts by Fabio1970
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Great job Fabio. I sympathize about the wind, since the U.K. is the same.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1970 View Post
Hi folks,

here I'm again with another video.
I was so positively impressed by the Blade 120 SR quality, transformed in the
MD530, that I bought another one. This time I tried to turn it into a Hughes 300, better known as the Schweizer 300.

I hope you like it

best regards to everyone from Holland

Fabio
I like it. Did you consider using the Microheli tail assembly? Painted, it might go a little more toward the overall look.

Which heat sink is that?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000