Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Gentleman.....drinking and flying is called FUI. "Flying Under the Influence."
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
No big deal as long as you keep your hands off the 700 size helis.
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
Is there any other way to fly than FUI Mike? haha
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmei View Post
No big deal as long as you keep your hands off the 700 size helis.
Oh my Lord....that would be a flying guillotine
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
as a rule I don't drink and fly I did that a couple of times with the 120 and it wasn't good I broke lots of things I also fired up the sr in the kitchen when I first got it NEVER again smacked the wall blades exploded it was fun big dent in the sheetrock so NO I don't FUI
shtmouth81 is offline Find More Posts by shtmouth81
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coptafeel View Post
shtmouth, what would be the chances of doing a little tutorial on your rewiring job?..I've resoldered wires back on to motors and such, but I'm a bit reticent to touch a hot iron to a 5 in 1 board...demz ain't cheap!
the wires were breaking and what not, so I took and removed the battery wires, the motor wires, and the tail motor wires, then I took some 20gauge jst female leads I got from hobby king, I tinned the ends then I carefully filed it down to fit into the holes for the battery wires then I took some stiffer wire for the motor 20gauge automotive wire tinned then did the same so it would fit through the holes then I took 24gauge wire made a little pigtail for the tailmotor wires and I soldered them all on the board and it screams seriously screams but I haven't tried them little battery's on it I think the power to weight ratio would be a bit off with a stock weight heli when you do that it is crazy fast
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,850 Posts
I don't think is much FUI going on because any time I try to fly after a beer, it costs me new replacement parts and down time.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtmouth81 View Post
the wires were breaking and what not, so I took and removed the battery wires, the motor wires, and the tail motor wires, then I took some 20gauge jst female leads I got from hobby king, I tinned the ends then I carefully filed it down to fit into the holes for the battery wires then I took some stiffer wire for the motor 20gauge automotive wire tinned then did the same so it would fit through the holes then I took 24gauge wire made a little pigtail for the tailmotor wires and I soldered them all on the board and it screams seriously screams but I haven't tried them little battery's on it I think the power to weight ratio would be a bit off with a stock weight heli when you do that it is crazy fast
I don't get it...sorry Are these larger size wires that you used? I'm having a hard time trying to visualize as to what you did. Can someone with so,so soldering skills do this? Would it be too much to ask to post a pic? Would the pic show what you did? This mod sounds really interesting.

Mike.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I don't think is much FUI going on because any time I try to fly after a beer, it costs me new replacement parts and down time.
When I first got my V4 (my very first heli), I tightened up the blades "real" nice. Took off from the living room, it went nuts and ended up in the dinning room but not before taking a nice chunk of wood out of the wife's favorite dinning room table. That was my first experience while FUI. Needless to say, I'm not allowed to fly in the house anymore unless it's the mcX. The wife thinks that heli is so cute

Mike.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
@ Chap1012
Reading Your indoor story, solution: You need a "MSR" for Your living room flying! She won't notice the difference with Your MCX
regards,
Danny.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
@ Chap1012
Reading Your indoor story, solution: You need a "MSR" for Your living room flying! She won't notice the difference with Your MCX
regards,
Danny.
Ha, ha...she knows the difference between a single rotor and a coax Nice try though

Mike.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,007 Posts
The only heli I use to FUI is my MCX.... You can run full speed into someone and it wont hurt them... maybe in the eye, but thats easy enough to avoid.... I tried the 120sr a couple times, but it was too much work without all my faculties....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coptafeel View Post
shtmouth, what would be the chances of doing a little tutorial on your rewiring job?..I've resoldered wires back on to motors and such, but I'm a bit reticent to touch a hot iron to a 5 in 1 board...demz ain't cheap!
I know thems aint cheap, I would practice on an old radio from the good will or something before attempting the 5in1, I took all that in school and work but it's been a while and I accidently wiped a little diode or whatever it is off the board between the +&- for the motor that little thing just vaporized so I bought my fourth board, the last one a friend toasted and I always keep a spare what do you mean by a tutorial?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I don't get it...sorry Are these larger size wires that you used? I'm having a hard time trying to visualize as to what you did. Can someone with so,so soldering skills do this? Would it be too much to ask to post a pic? Would the pic show what you did? This mod sounds really interesting.

Mike.
the wires that come on the board for the battery and the main motor are all 24 or 26 gauge, if you notice the stock battery has a larger diameter wire than that on the helicopter, MAKE THE WIRES THE SAME SIZE. all of my battery leads are 20 gauge, it's ok to go to a larger size than the battery leads, but when you go to a smaller size it restricts the flow. so when you put a larger wire on it like 20 gauge and open it up and let the juice flow and it works at it's full potential and put all of your throttle trim forward and adjust your throttle curve I have mine at 0-36-80-90-100 "all of them" in stunt I've got my servo's restricted and things are for high speed but I never use it so why not have access to all of that power and rotorhead speed I use to think that I didn't need heatsinks now it gets HOT...!!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The 5-in-1 doesnt have anything to do with stabilization, its all mechanical. If the heli isnt self stabalizing, its becuase something is binding. The only way the 5-in-1 could cause instability is if its making the servos move all wonky, and that should be easy enough to figure out if its happening by just holding the heli in your hand and moving the sticks with the rotors turning....
it must be the servos moving all wonky then. Nothing is binding because I've replaced every single part except for the 5 in 1, servos, main motor and tail boom/motor. The flybar is loose as a goose. Maybe it was the servos, I don't know. I ordered a brand new 120 BNF and I'll use the old one for spare, but first I'm going to do a comparison with the new bird and old to see exactly where things were going wrong. I'll post back with my results. My mSR did the EXACT same thing and I smashed it with my foot in frustration.
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365