HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:04 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerm View Post
Since I got this chopper during the winter and I have not take it outside until this weekend.
Two nice days of very mild winds and I must say she is alot of fun to fly in a wide open space.

Like the add says " flys alot bigger than it looks"

One happy camper here

I had one small crash where I would have lost some links had they not been tethered. Tethered links is the way to go!!
Ok. I'll bite. I searched this thread and google for tethered links and i got nothin'. What are they and how do I do it? Thanks,

-Casey_mfn
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Ok. I'll bite. I searched this thread and google for tethered links and i got nothin'. What are they and how do I do it? Thanks,

-Casey_mfn
You take some thread and tie the two links together so that if one flies off the thread holds it to the other one that didn't,,, and if they both fly off if you find one you found them both and makes them easier to find....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:34 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
You take some thread and tie the two links together so that if one flies off the thread holds it to the other one that didn't,,, and if they both fly off if you find one you found them both and makes them easier to find....
Yeah!! and it works like a charm

Those links are just too easy to lose otherwise. It doesn't take alot of force to dislodge them and then they're gone.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Last edited by Nerm; Apr 25, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post

-Casey_mfn
Love your avatar!
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Last edited by Bluhammer; Apr 25, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
lost tail rotor standoff bearing

as arbilab predicted on other thread,

lost the standoff bearing last night on a botched take off. tried to find it with a flashlight where the heli tipped over in the grass but no way, then tried a magnet that i had in the basement and luckily the bearing jumped right up onto it.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin View Post
as arbilab predicted on other thread,

lost the standoff bearing last night on a botched take off. tried to find it with a flashlight where the heli tipped over in the grass but no way, then tried a magnet that i had in the basement and luckily the bearing jumped right up onto it.
That was a stroke of luck.

I was working on my Novus Fp yesterday (I work over a white towel) and lost a link. I had the headphones on so I didn't hear anything hit anywhere. Looked for 2 hours in the workshop and didn't find it.
Placed an order today online for parts.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,581 Posts
If you shut down the motor before you crash, you wont ever lose a link.... One of the most important parts to learning to fly a heli is learning when you give up trying to save it and just hit throttle hold, you will ALWAYS do more damage going in with the motor running than without....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:01 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
If you shut down the motor before you crash, you wont ever lose a link.... One of the most important parts to learning to fly a heli is learning when you give up trying to save it and just hit throttle hold, you will ALWAYS do more damage going in with the motor running than without....
Well.... of course it's great advice, and of course it minimizes chances for damage, but I just had my mcpx go in with throttle hold on 25 feet before impact, but it hit hard, and on the blades. One blade acted as a lever and bent the feather shaft and also snapped the associated link in half. Best practices mean minimal damage, but it's hard to get away with zero.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:27 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Well.... of course it's great advice, and of course it minimizes chances for damage, but I just had my mcpx go in with throttle hold on 25 feet before impact, but it hit hard, and on the blades. One blade acted as a lever and bent the feather shaft and also snapped the associated link in half. Best practices mean minimal damage, but it's hard to get away with zero.
I can assure you that I had the power off a good 6 feet before the mCP just came flying backwards trough the trellis on the porch trying to hit me.. It didn't hit me missed by a good foot.. One blade snapped in half and the landing gear riped off.. But this time the links ( dog bones ) didn't even come off..

Clean break on the blade but I think I'll pass on the CA repair....

I guess I should of been flying the 120SR with the lights on it.. Darn little heli's will not keep the motion sensor flood lights on..
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 25, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
I've only lost 1 link (found 2 weeks later) in many, many, crashes. Including a direct hit into our bird bath resulting in a full under water experience!
Dave
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,581 Posts
I didn't say you wouldn't get ANY damage crashing with the power off, just that you wont lose LINKS, and you will do LESS damage than comming in power on...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:42 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,879 Posts
Quote:
I didn't say you wouldn't get ANY damage crashing with the power off, just that you wont lose LINKS, and you will do LESS damage than comming in power on...
That's for sure! I've done both with lots of style points. No power, mo better.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
202 Posts
never have lost a link, but I've always powered off when I know it's a lost cause...did lose the tail rotor bearing once though. found it and CA'd it to the motor and haven't lost the sucker since....but I find I'm just not crashing it all that much these days anyway though...I must be doing something wrong
Coptafeel is offline Find More Posts by Coptafeel
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:22 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
I was proving you right... I said the links didn't come off...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
346 Posts
Pro tek 550mah 25c.

After watching my already short flight times get a little shorter I decided to try one of the packs some have been posting about.I tried the Protek because I have used A main for other items before and been happy with them.The short review is these are great battery packs compared to the 2 I got with the 120.My flight time was 9 min and a few seconds which is much better than 4-6 min I had been getting.Next; The charging shows the truth when it comes to flight time.Stock packs;Most mah ever was around 350,Pro tek took 592 mah which means the 550 is under rated.I do however think the 25c is over rated because it still was slightly warm when I hit the lvc.Unless my motor is about to fry it should not heat a pack with 25c.Well I am pleased to spend less than $25 for 2 packs including shipping so to anyone in the US this is great mod to what is now my favorite heli.
Igore is offline Find More Posts by Igore