HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
The quark prob is better I would imagine yes; BUT no spektrum or 2.4 ghz which blows the big one.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet View Post
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Its a 40% bigger msr for 30$ more and just 20$ short of an full size brushless CP SR,not to be cruel...but who will buy it?
I would say....
A person who wants:
-A bigger heli that is easier to see than an mSR to fly in a gym or yard
-One that is faster, and can handle more wind than an mSR
-One that is much more durable an an SR... durability is closer to an mSR than an SR.
-One that wants a heli that is more casual, and less intimidating around people than an SR

It is really an in between product to fit that gap. It is very fun to fly, and quite durable. The more we flew it, the more we believed it had a position in the market!

Weight is very roughly, 3 times the weight of an mSR, and 1/3 the weight of an SR.... nice gap to fill. (battery is similar in energy content).

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:51 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
I think Ill wait till my msr breaks till I get it

they dribbe what about a video?
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
I think Ill wait till my msr breaks till I get it

they dribbe what about a video?
You have a couple of months.

Not sure, I thought the video would be up by now.....

David
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dribbe; Jun 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
Dave

What kind of winds can this handle?

QUOTE=dribbe;15401397]I would say....
A person who wants:
-A bigger heli that is easier to see than an mSR to fly in a gym or yard
-One that is faster, and can handle more wind than an mSR
-One that is much more durable an an SR... durability is closer to an mSR than an SR.
-One that wants a heli that is more casual, and less intimidating around people than an SR

It is really an in between product to fit that gap. It is very fun to fly, and quite durable. The more we flew it, the more we believed it had a position in the market!

Weight is very roughly, 3 times the weight of an mSR, and 1/3 the weight of an SR.... nice gap to fill. (battery is similar in energy content).

Have Fun,
David[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
Eh.. not intreasted at ALL. Same over priced crappy helicopters, with crappy electronics, and expensive parts. I'd rather buy a walkera for less money, get a better transmitter, better helicopter with better electronics (to include a 3 axis gyro)..

Even If I was to ignore the fact that this POS is made by Horizon/e-flite/blade (who are all the exact same people, and the exact same company); This is what they have been developing? A giant expensive mSR? Where is the mCP that people have been asking for? Why are they making new helicopters when they have yet to solve the SR's problems?

Anyway.. I will never by another e-flite/blade product, they are complete crap. moving on..
Expensive, yes - but crappy? No, I don't think so. It may not be fancy, but I don't think Blade stuff is "crappy" by any means. Their stuff has always been pretty reliable and the radio system has far more potential being that its DSM compatible. Walkera's 3-axis gyro is not very good at all, but you were the one that said it was better than anything Align has. Alrighty then...

You can't possibly believe that this is the only thing they've been developing, and the SR does not have "problems" at all, if you ask me. The people that insist on comparing the SR to helicopters that outclass it are the ones that will always find fault with it. The SR is an entry-level CP helicopter, yet some people think it should instantly be a T-Rex 250. Come on...
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
I don't think EFlite is crappy either; they've gotten many people into the hobby and have kept me, a Canadian Consumer, very happy. I've had my fair share of defective eflite products and it's prevelant in any heli manufactuer BUT HH stands by there products and have always sent me free parts to get me up and going again in tje cases were the damaged product was not my fault. I have been looking at a bigger heli to progress with, and decided against the SR but was also looking at new Esky HBCT, HBCX, Quark, NE Kestrel or Free Spirit, or Many walkeras out there. If this heli performs as promised it'll be on my wish list.

Edit : also the fact that HH products are Spektrum/JR compatible, have large parts availability and have superior CS is top drawer in my books. I also fly Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes so it's a win win with me. I'd consider a NE of Esky long before Walkera also for the fact that parts availability is greater than Walkera.

I am not dissing Walkera as I've read they're a lot better than previously and I do not own one but I would like the CB100 for it's more scale like flying.
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Jun 25, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
Maryland
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
From what i have been reading about this 120 SR, it will be on my wish-list aswell.
k00leo is offline Find More Posts by k00leo
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
Expensive, yes - but crappy? No, I don't think so. It may not be fancy, but I don't think Blade stuff is "crappy" by any means. Their stuff has always been pretty reliable and the radio system has far more potential being that its DSM compatible. Walkera's 3-axis gyro is not very good at all, but you were the one that said it was better than anything Align has. Alrighty then...

You can't possibly believe that this is the only thing they've been developing, and the SR does not have "problems" at all, if you ask me. The people that insist on comparing the SR to helicopters that outclass it are the ones that will always find fault with it. The SR is an entry-level CP helicopter, yet some people think it should instantly be a T-Rex 250. Come on...
I think they are; and none of my e-flite/blade helicopters have been reliable.

My mCX, mSR, and SR have all have/had a lot of problems. On both the mSR and the mCX the all in one untils went out, the servos got sticky and wore out rapidly, the tail motors & fly bar wore out quickly on the mSR etc.

I loved the way the my mSR/mCX flies when they are new, and when they work I enjoy them, but the quality is not there. The electronics has not held up at all, and when I called them they did not once offer a free part to replace the defective ones, they just sent me to the parts to department to buy parts. Hardly what I would call fantastic customer service or standing behind thier products.

Which brings us to the SR. It has ALOT of issues. Swash plates coming apart in flight is an issue, Tail motors burning up every 10 or so flights is an issue, the head slop is an issue, the failure rates on the ESC's is an issue, Peristant tail wag is an issue, Parts shortages are an issue... The list goes on and on...

The SR is RTF pile of issues...

I don't expect an entry level CP to have the performance of a more advanced CP, such as the Align TREX 250, but in terms of quality, and just basic good flight characteristics (like the tail not wagging) it makes no diffrence if it is entry level or not. I should be built well, and not (literly) fall out of the sky; hell on the SR, people are UPGRADING the gyro to a $13 401B clone, what does that tell you about the quality of the electronics on the SR?

As too electronics I'll say this... I have two e-flite micro's, and two walkera micro's. The walkera's both have at least three times the number of flights and crashes on them than the e-flite's. Both eflites have required servos, all-in-one bords and motors, the only electronics I have had to replace on the walkera's is a servo, and that was purely due to crash damage.

I started off with e-flite products; as such I kept buying them, but over time as my problems and frustrations mounted, I started buying other products, the SR completely killed my trust in e-flite.

I will not buy another eflite product until they at least provide a retro-active "fix" for the SR. Meaning they fix the tail, fix the swash plate, and fix the head slop; and yes, fix them free of charge.

Cheers
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I wonder if this can handle outdoor winds in stock format.

Wow they're a lot of EFlite haters on here.

Do you people really think that Walkera is any better?

All these companies are in it to make money; the all employ the same business tactics.
Based on my experence with three e-flite/blade helicopters, and my two walkera helicopters, Yes, I think Walkera is night and day better.
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:13 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
LOL

I dont know how many timed I have read about ppl having issues with walkera electrinics and or especially tail motors going.

guys in my club have Novus/walkeras and same thing......... tail motors going. Now i am not saying that Eflite doesnt have issues either, but Walkera is not any better!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Hi,
Like many aircraft, there may be an ultimate wind they can fly in, but it becomes a lot less fun/precise at some point.
As a personal opinion/observation of the 120SR, I would say:
No wind: Nice of course
1-3mph: quite nice
4-6mph: manageble and fun, but becoming more work
7-15mph: becoming less fun, and more a a chore as the wind goes up
17mph: We did fly it in these winds, and tested tail performance for holding cross wind, etc. With technique, you could keep it in the air, and not fly away, but it was pretty much a full time job... it was a challenge, but not conventional fun (and we crashed a lot).
So short answer. It can probably handle 5-6mph. ymmv

We may be working on the video for most of another week. (Lots of travel from the Heli team.)

David
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Hi,
Like many aircraft, there may be an ultimate wind they can fly in, but it becomes a lot less fun/precise at some point.
17mph: We did fly it in these winds, and tested tail performance for holding cross wind, etc. With technique, you could keep it in the air, and not fly away, but it was pretty much a full time job... it was a challenge, but not
conventional fun (and we crashed a lot).

We may be working on the video for most of another week. (Lots of travel from the Heli team.)

David
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Hi,
17mph: We did fly it in these winds, and tested tail performance for holding cross wind, etc. With technique, you could keep it in the air, and not fly away, but it was pretty much a full time job... it was a challenge, but not conventional fun (and we crashed a lot).

David
FP helicopters are generally much harder to fly in the wind than CP helis due to lack of collective pitch. They lose a lot of stability when descending when it is windy (and even when it isn't windy). Any chance that we will see a CP heli in this size in the near future?

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:01 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I think I like this heli. The only thing I think that need some help is the Landing gear
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk