HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:52 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Quote:
My biggest complaint about the SR 120 is the price - it's absurd.
Horizon's kinda like that. Yeh it is. Their stuff ain't that bulletproof, but it IS that expensive. There is very little price latitude in Horizon. It is priced for hobbyshop overhead markup no matter where you buy it and it stays there until competiton releases something, um, competitive. Then it comes down closer to what it's really worth but STILL too much.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:25 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
My biggest complaint about the SR 120 is the price - it's absurd. $180 for an all-plastic brushed-motor helicopter? Come on, Horizon. To that end, the mSR is overpriced too, though it's a great helicopter.
I agree there are overpriced, my horizon stockiest says his last visit from the horizon rep was interesting!
He said horizon are looking in to dropping there prices for mSR etc so they can get more people into the hobby and (buying there products)
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Jul 14, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:47 AM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It looks like a good heli. I just don't like marketing people - they are several steps below lawyers, only one step above politicians
jasmine, everyones a step above politicians
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Horizon's kinda like that. Yeh it is. Their stuff ain't that bulletproof, but it IS that expensive. There is very little price latitude in Horizon. It is priced for hobbyshop overhead markup no matter where you buy it and it stays there until competiton releases something, um, competitive. Then it comes down closer to what it's really worth but STILL too much.
I always find this interesting. It comes up a lot - E-flite stuff is supposedly over-priced. But really, it's not. Companies have a fiscal responsibility to charge as much as possible for their products - if the market will bear a given price, then it's the right price. Look at the Quark - price is ridiculous, but the market supports it - people keep buying it, so it must be the right price.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:57 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Quote:
I always find this interesting. It comes up a lot - E-flite stuff is supposedly over-priced. But really, it's not. Companies have a fiscal responsibility to charge as much as possible for their products - if the market will bear a given price, then it's the right price. Look at the Quark - price is ridiculous, but the market supports it - people keep buying it, so it must be the right price.
That's true. But it doesn't mean people won't bitch about prices being to high. Besides, a 20% drop in price could mean an 40% increase in sales. I've seen a hell of a lot of new Quark buyers since they dropped the price by $100+.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:20 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,030 Posts
Well the 120 RTF is $179.99

Quark SRB $239.95
Walkera CB100 $170
Walkera V120D01 $244
Novus 125 $199.99

So they are all within the same regions so I don't think the pricing is that far off for Blade.

But yes, cheaper would be better for any of them. The Quark finally got down to reasonable just recently.

Blade seems to have a bigger marketing budget than the others, plus a bigger dealer base and presence, all that adds to the cost as well.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
Horizon Hobby
Champaign, il
Joined Oct 2003
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysB3 View Post
Why do "they" always have to use such dopey music for these flying vids? I don't see/hear the connection. Metal is not not what I hear in my head when I'm flying. In these videos, I would much rather hear the purr of the 120's motors and the sound of the rotor blades cutting through the air.

But yeah, I'm getting one of these!
Because of royalties! They will have to pay for that and that means the savings are passed to you

You guys don't realize how much work and cost it is for advertising and making videos.
gijoe is offline Find More Posts by gijoe
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Because of royalties! They will have to pay for that and that means the savings are passed to you

You guys don't realize how much work and cost it is for advertising and making videos.
Advertising costs on the internet? Only costs I see here is in the editing and thats only because it can take a fair amount of time to get what you want. Especially for a lot of these heli videos that people like x-heli do. A few second shot done here and there. Sorry, but I don't see these vids as professional quality. Give an employee a camcorder, let them record some footage, buy a 50 dollar editing package and you can get the same results.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:38 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Well the 120 RTF is $179.99

Quark SRB $239.95
Walkera CB100 $170
Walkera V120D01 $244
Novus 125 $199.99

So they are all within the same regions so I don't think the pricing is that far off for Blade.

But yes, cheaper would be better for any of them. The Quark finally got down to reasonable just recently.

Blade seems to have a bigger marketing budget than the others, plus a bigger dealer base and presence, all that adds to the cost as well.
I read something about pricing these things a while back. It seemed that pretty much anything under 100 bucks was considered "toy" grade in most consumers minds. and that line just above 100 bucks was considered low end hobby grade and most of the 150+ was considered to be good hobby grade devices. While I don't actually agree with that, I have to say that in my purchases over the years, it has kinda seemed to fall in line with the above statement. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but I hate to admit that statement might have some validity. Which I could remember where I saw that article at.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Sorry, but I don't see these vids as professional quality.
Yeah, you do. It's one of those things you don't notice if it's done right, but you would easily say "that is unprofessional" when it's not done right.

You have no idea how much time and money goes into something like that. I would estimate the budget for that one promotional video in the $3000 range. I would estimate, someone spent about 6-10 hours just on the editing, and if the music is original, you're looking at a few hours to put that together too. Professionals at this level make about $100 an hour (a salaried person at $100K is making $50 an hour) - so just the cost of that employee for 10 hours is between $500 and $1000. You just don't realize how fast it adds up, and most companies, when they do projects like this, they never track the costs very well, and this leads to industry-wide underestimation and misunderstanding of the cost of such things. Traditional advertising is ludicrously expensive give what you get, however, even $5000, spread over the life of this product, is a drop in the ocean of profit, so it's cost effective to go ahead and do it.

At our company, we keep pretty good track of costs, but the money spent that we know about is always less than the total money spent - there is always some we just didn't keep track of where it went. Now think about this - we have 150 employees and some remote offices - we calculated that to upgrade to Windows 7, it would cost the company around $30,000 - NOT counting the licensing with Microsoft. Now you may see "install Windows 7" as a project which costs nothing, because when you did it on your machine, it wasn't a big deal... but it takes time, multiply that by 150, it took time for you to learn the new system, multiply that by 150... if it took $200 worth of your time to do the project, a company of 150 people needs thirty-freeking-thousand-dollars!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:40 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, you do. It's one of those things you don't notice if it's done right, but you would easily say "that is unprofessional" when it's not done right.

You have no idea how much time and money goes into something like that. I would estimate the budget for that one promotional video in the $3000 range. I would estimate, someone spent about 6-10 hours just on the editing, and if the music is original, you're looking at a few hours to put that together too. Professionals at this level make about $100 an hour (a salaried person at $100K is making $50 an hour) - so just the cost of that employee for 10 hours is between $500 and $1000. You just don't realize how fast it adds up, and most companies, when they do projects like this, they never track the costs very well, and this leads to industry-wide underestimation and misunderstanding of the cost of such things. Traditional advertising is ludicrously expensive give what you get, however, even $5000, spread over the life of this product, is a drop in the ocean of profit, so it's cost effective to go ahead and do it.

At our company, we keep pretty good track of costs, but the money spent that we know about is always less than the total money spent - there is always some we just didn't keep track of where it went. Now think about this - we have 150 employees and some remote offices - we calculated that to upgrade to Windows 7, it would cost the company around $30,000 - NOT counting the licensing with Microsoft. Now you may see "install Windows 7" as a project which costs nothing, because when you did it on your machine, it wasn't a big deal... but it takes time, multiply that by 150, it took time for you to learn the new system, multiply that by 150... if it took $200 worth of your time to do the project, a company of 150 people needs thirty-freeking-thousand-dollars!
Well said. Most people assume most things happen for free it seems. Run your own company for a while and you realize everythig nhas a cost. An employee with a $50 video camera editign it himself isn't free nor is a porperly produced one. These heli companies are not some guy in his basement doign this on weekends and evenings. As with the cost of R&D comes the cost of advertising and marketing.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:25 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
My biggest complaint about the SR 120 is the price - it's absurd. $180 for an all-plastic brushed-motor helicopter? Come on, Horizon. To that end, the mSR is overpriced too, though it's a great helicopter.
Dose not matter it will sell and will not come down until competition affects there sales.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,702 Posts
Man, I always LOL when I hear someone complain about the price of these little micro heli's and planes. When I first got into rc flight, a GWS humingbird was as "micro" as helis got, and to get one in the air required about $500 even to do it cheaply, and it flew like crap and was tough to learn on, and that was just for fixed pitch! You could get a walkera off ebay for $150, but the electronics were junk, and they didn't fly any better, plus spares had to be ordered online, and they changed from year to year, without changing part numbers, so the heli you bought last year wasn't compatible with all the spare parts you can get this year, Yea, I had one. It was fun, but i hated waiting for spares in the mail, and in the end I had way more $$ into it than i care to recall....... Then along comes e-flight with the first Blade-CX and WOW... game changer!! $250 for a RTF heli that ANYONE could hover in their livingroom? Where do I sign up!?!?! Then the MCX, $100 for a TINY heli that, again, anyone can fly? Just 5 years earlier a heli that small would have cost many times that amount, and would have flown like crap, AND would have been very fragile....

So yea, go ahead and complain that a great flying heli that your local hobby shop carries spares for is more expensive than the walkera crap you can get off ebay, and I will keep buying e-flight heli's, and when I crash them on Friday afternoon, I'll head down to my local hobby shop and be flying the same day, while you wait till Wednesday for the mailman
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:49 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Umm wow. Didnt I say the biggest part of it was the editing. And yes I do understand what is involved in it when it is done professionally. I still stand by original statement, it is not professional quality. And here is the thing with buying a camcorder and buying a 50 buck software and having your employee do it. Your right, he isn't doing it for free, he is doing it for the wage that you already pay him at. Which in most business's is a lot less than $100 an hour. Take the SR 120 for example, as already mentioned most "clips are only a few seconds long each that really tell you nothing about the heli. They are "action" shots, and in that video, the word action doesn't really jive with what was being displayed.

Just like most of x-helis stuff, its a few seconds of it hovering, its a few seconds of it making a turn or coming right at you or whatnot. We are talking about companies who deal with helis/airplanes for their lively hood. I suspect a very good number of them are very good pilots and that is what makes the videos look like they are easy. Now, if you have a crappy pilot and are trying to make a video, its going to take longer but I am sure you could make that crappy pilot look like a pro to in editing.

I know all about OS upgrades, I have went through many of them at a company that has more than 20k employees. We have an entire department that works all year long on evaluating hardware, whats going to come on that hardware in a bundle, what OS will be on it, etc.... We have an entire department that does nothing but constantly replacing workstations when their lease runs out. I am a scripter. I am paid to take software that is bought from the outside world and rescript it so that it doesn't interfere with our operating systems and other software. We have a couple thousand different pieces of software that is on that portal alone. So yes, I know a fair amount about cost.

Im not saying that advertising isn't expensive. but on the internet your costs are going to be quite low compared to doing something like TV commercials.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:32 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Time to get back on thread does anyone know an official release date yet ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...