SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
LiPo Cursed but Still Electric
Northern Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2010
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
I land on tiles on the kitchen floor sometimes - and occasionally it squats down nice and stable.

Might have more to do with coming off the throttle just at the right time...??

BJ
My 120 SR does seem fairly finicky on take offs and landings as well. One very strange thing is that on slow to moderate take offs it ALWAYS wants to pitch heavily forward, regardless of COG or trim adjustments. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I know ridgewalker and others have used grommets or tubing bits of sorts for more grip. I'm just using it as a challenge to study the heli so I can learn what's required with stick movements to counter these things.

I've also been having fun with the orientation/hover training mode on Real Flight 5 and it's helped me out a lot even though the default heli they use is a large CP heli. This has even helped breathe new life into flying my MSR. When I first started flying it I just though it was an inevitable spastic trait that could not be tamed during take offs and landing. I've been practicing a lot with spot landings and controlled (almost vertical) launches and even landed the MSR on top of a Pringles can..... once. The Quaker Oats can was becoming too easy.

Anyhow having lots of fun flying, quirks and all.
isogloss3d is offline Find More Posts by isogloss3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
How do you get a good measure of time on batteries? Do you let the heli run until it starts losing power?
iflabs is offline Find More Posts by iflabs
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:55 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflabs View Post
How do you get a good measure of time on batteries? Do you let the heli run until it starts losing power?
Set a timer on the TX is the best way, also using a voltage-meter is a must.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:13 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,270 Posts
ok fellas im about to give in,gonna buy a spare tail for the champ(magpie attacked my champ),and buy the 120sr bnf if they have instock or are willing to sell me the rtf, minus controler for the bnf price
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:42 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,270 Posts
You guys getting atleast 7mins flight time on the 120?And what about the brown out issues still happening,lhs said they would look after me if that happened to me.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:41 AM
I'll try to fly anything.....
nr Leeds UK
Joined Aug 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflabs View Post
I agree with Kris re timer, (I set mine to 6 minutes)
Also a tip from the good lads here to not discharge the battery any more after the red led sttarts flashing on the heli.
I have a voltmeter but would probably short the pins out trying to use it

There are also some good articles on this site re care and usage under "Batteries and Chargers" on theese new fangled lithium polymer batteries.
newtoblade120sr is offline Find More Posts by newtoblade120sr
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:57 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,270 Posts
ok i now officially own the 120
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:54 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoblade120sr View Post
I agree with Kris re timer, (I set mine to 6 minutes)
Also a tip from the good lads here to not discharge the battery any more after the red led sttarts flashing on the heli.
I have a voltmeter but would probably short the pins out trying to use it

There are also some good articles on this site re care and usage under "Batteries and Chargers" on theese new fangled lithium polymer batteries.
Easy if you have one of these....
Name: 01092010609-001.jpg
Views: 244
Size: 38.3 KB
Description:
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:26 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark94 View Post
Wow, tough forum.

Sorry to ask the question but I did search prior to asking my question. The only place that seemed to have the Raiden brand was rc711 but they are in Hong Kong. I'd like to avoid international shipping if possible.

Xheli has a different brand and is out of stock.

I guess what I should have said was, where is the best place to buy the Raiden brand batteries that you all are referring? I would also prefer a vendor/company that is in the US and has them in stock.

I don't want someone to tell me the answer, I'm looking to you experience members who have been in the hobby for some time to pass on some of that knowledge. I'm brand new to the hobby and would like to avoid purchasing the wrong products or using a vendor that isn't reliable.

Thanks for the help and I'll stick to using the search feature around here.

Mark
Din you see the lil wink at the end of the post?

Originally Posted by stalyoni
www.google.com

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:27 AM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,270 Posts
Just had my first test flight,a bit nerve racking didnt really get to enjoy the flight have too trim it out alittle,cant fly inside as it will probably crash into something.Going for next test flight soon swapped over too longer balls ,i will see how that goes, plugging the battery in is a pita.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:33 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
My 120 SR does seem fairly finicky on take offs and landings as well. One very strange thing is that on slow to moderate take offs it ALWAYS wants to pitch heavily forward, regardless of COG or trim adjustments. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I know ridgewalker and others have used grommets or tubing bits of sorts for more grip. I'm just using it as a challenge to study the heli so I can learn what's required with stick movements to counter these things.

I've also been having fun with the orientation/hover training mode on Real Flight 5 and it's helped me out a lot even though the default heli they use is a large CP heli. This has even helped breathe new life into flying my MSR. When I first started flying it I just though it was an inevitable spastic trait that could not be tamed during take offs and landing. I've been practicing a lot with spot landings and controlled (almost vertical) launches and even landed the MSR on top of a Pringles can..... once. The Quaker Oats can was becoming too easy.

Anyhow having lots of fun flying, quirks and all.
Yep...mine want's to lurch forward on take-offs to - I give it a fair handful of back-stick on lift-off.

And I don't have a lot of success in slow take-offs. I do a lot better just punching it up in the air - much the same as I do with the mSR. Just give it full throttle with a good pull-back on the elevator, and she comes up ok. After that, it seems to fly fine...

BJ
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1 View Post
ok fellas im about to give in,gonna buy a spare tail for the champ(magpie attacked my champ),and buy the 120sr bnf if they have instock or are willing to sell me the rtf, minus controler for the bnf price
I think you'll enjoy it mate

BJ
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,641 Posts
Quote:
ok i now officially own the 120
DOH!

I'm working my down through the posts - din realise you've just bought one.

Good on ya!

Enjoy

BJ
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,641 Posts
Quote:
Just had my first test flight,a bit nerve racking didnt really get to enjoy the flight have too trim it out alittle,cant fly inside as it will probably crash into something.Going for next test flight soon swapped over too longer balls ,i will see how that goes, plugging the battery in is a pita.
I'm still on the short-balls, and will probably fly indoors on them - it's got plenty of movement inside with just the short links.

Bit daunting inside, huh? And how's the sound of that main rotor? Sounds like a Helo, huh?

Ditto PITA on plugging the battery in. But I do the same thing on the SR120 as I do in my mSR - always plug the battery in with the battery outside of the bird. Then wait till the light comes on (gyro has stabilised), and finally slide the battery into it's holder.

BJ
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:25 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
Xtreme will more than likely be releasing upgrades for 120 in next few months
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29