HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:09 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,312 Posts
If you are going to fly outside, use the long balls. If you are flying indoors, use the long balls and put the TX on low rates.....

The short balls are basicaly for the person who buys this as a "first" heli and has no prior experience at all....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:50 AM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
242 Posts
We all know it's different for everyone...For me, when I first got my 120 I read about switching to the outer balls, aka Advanced Setup, and viewed that as something that might possibly take away from my primary goal of learning to fly my first hobby-grade heli. So I left things as they were. Once I was hovering and zipping around my small TV room (not so much forward flight at that time) and with some authority, only then did I change to the Advanced Setup and I barely even noticed a difference being on the Advanced Setup.

My suggestion for one would be to leave things as-is at least until you're NOT saying something like "still having problems controlling my 120".

As for the rates, I'd definitely suggest switching to low-rates at first and once you think you're getting the hang of it, change the TX to the high rates and don't look back.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:41 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Low rates and short balls save parts. Parts save money. Saving money allows you to buy a second heli. However, if you are going outside even in a slight breeze, it's best to use the long balls and the lower dual rate. That way, you have ability to cope with flying into breezes.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:54 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Good tips guys. I forgot about low rate on these stock dsm2s.

Maybe that will save me some parts. I am getting use to flying it. Starting to be able to do forward turns and fig 8s. Having tons of fun!

I really should hone my skills a bit first before I continue to fly in house.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:59 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
I honestly don't really worry about breaking parts. It supports my LHS which at the end of the day results in super convenience for me. Only have one hobby shop in the area, if he shut'er down i would have to order everything online and that takes way more time then stopping by and just picking up a part.

Obviously I don't want to ruin every part on the thing, but not going to let a couple 4 dollar parts hold me back from learning to fly 4ch.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:06 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Low rates and short balls save parts. Parts save money. Saving money allows you to buy a second heli. However, if you are going outside even in a slight breeze, it's best to use the long balls and the lower dual rate. That way, you have ability to cope with flying into breezes.

Good advice Sax ..too windy to fly this morning 15mph gusting at 20mph so flew the MSR in the living room a couple of packs ..will fly more later.. Are you flying your MSR..Happy flying
venicebill is offline Find More Posts by venicebill
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:19 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Put two packs through my 120SR indoors last night. I really like flying this size of helicopter! I'm so used to all my micros that a big guy like this is a really novel change. Can't wait to take it outdoors this spring.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Put two packs through my 120SR indoors last night. I really like flying this size of helicopter! I'm so used to all my micros that a big guy like this is a really novel change. Can't wait to take it outdoors this spring.
... "BIG guy ... "???
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
120 sr - garage field

I have essentially taught myself to fly with a 120 SR in 1/2 stall of a 2 car garage. that includes having to fly over the bench on one side, around some studio lights and under a couple hanging fixtures. Needless to say when I can get outside I feel like sky king and can wing that 120 all over the sky.
I did go to a spektrum 6 channel which once I got it set up (with help from this forum ont he settings) that helped a bunch. I am looking forward to getting outside more as it warms up. I have made a couple of full speed passes over shorter distances but have a wide yard and want to get this thing cranked up.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
I mostly fly my helis in an area measuring about 100' x 250' including trees--the street in front of my house. One time I took it to the soccer field and I found out that this thing can compete very well with my micro airplanes. It is a nice long distance bird and I could get up the fff that it's capable of. Believe me, it's not an mSR.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
... "BIG guy ... "???
LOL. Yup. It's all relative. In my fleet the only thing bigger is my Twister Skylift chinook.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,305 Posts
I found its a real treat to take out to the soccer fields.. at one of the local high schools. It is way cool to get it up high and jam across the field.. Those high speed turns are killin me though.. I can make most of them.. but if things aren't coordinated just right.. it takes a serious dump... oh well.. still in one piece.. with a slightly cracked canopy.. I'll tape it if it too loose.. and when/if I get alot better and quit dumping it.. I'll get the red canopy and tail-fin.. that'll match my mSRx..

It is a tough little bird though.. with a few total dumps.. nothing major broke at all.. other then a cracked canopy... and I lost the small bearing-shield on the tail motor, when the rotor popped off. I got a new one right here($3.99..ouch).. which I'm not putting back on, again, until I get a bit more profiecient...

You guys that haven't tried the mSRx.. might want to give that a go too.. I'm not going to comment too much on it.. as there's another thread on it.. but check it out.. between the 2 helis ... it seems that's about all one needs to get a good grasp on rotary flight.. at least thats what I'm feeling like.. whether its true is.. well... up in the air..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,892 Posts
Put two more flights on the 120 indoors after work today. This thing is great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,305 Posts
I'd planned to fly my 120 today, but my tranny went to "low battery" warning when I was flying my MSRX.. I put the tranny on to charge, and it didn't get done until well after sunset.. so tomorrows another day... and I'll start with a fresh charge on the the radio... might try to get a flight on the 120 before work, when the air is like glass... Thats actually the best time of day.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:16 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Around here i think the local flying club rents time from a drill hall (= to 3 basket ball courts).

I should look into the possibility of flying my 120 there...

As you can see, would be pretty fun!