HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The nano (with the bullet blades) doesn't really fly much different than an MSRx. the biggest difference between the two is one is FP and the other is CP. The nano will be much more responsive on the throttle with the recommended settings, but that's easy to tame down playing with the throttle pitch curves, but other than that, flight characteristics are pretty close.

Or instead of playing with throttle/pitch curves to tame it down, you can put MSRx blades on it, and use a fixed pitch curve.....

Lol. And the nano is going to be much more responsive on the cyclic! Yes you can tame that with d/r a bit but the msrx is still a lot more docile than the nano. That being said, if you are only going to get one new heli then yes I agree that the Nano is much more versatile and I totally agree that the flight characteristics are very similar. I've got two nanos as well and I can't wait until it warms up enough to go outdoors again. I've been practicing flips and rolls in Phoenix and really want to try them out for real.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
I recently had a crash with the 120 and since replacing the broken bits (battery holder, servo arm and canopy) when I bind it all of the servos appear to work but there is no power to either the main or tail motors. All wires and plugs appear intact and connected. Any help would be appreciated.
Case72 is offline Find More Posts by Case72
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:54 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case72 View Post
I recently had a crash with the 120 and since replacing the broken bits (battery holder, servo arm and canopy) when I bind it all of the servos appear to work but there is no power to either the main or tail motors. All wires and plugs appear intact and connected. Any help would be appreciated.
Do your servos move? If not, did you rebind it?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,764 Posts
yea first thing to do is always rebind.... not just turn on TX and then heli... plug in heli first, wait for flashing light, then actualy bind.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,215 Posts
thanks for all the response.... its for indoors. and I'm leaning to the MSRx really.. probably because its in my price range.. and probably well within my skills to learn in a reasonable time based on what I'm hearing. I know I might end up with a few of these small heli's.. I'm totally cool with that.. haha.. and its affordable.. so even if I plunk down a hundo on a heli today, I'll probably plunk down quite a bit more over time... no biggie.

Kind of wishing I wouldn't have sold my extra batteries when I sold my Micro Sukhoi-X.. as they're the same battery as the mSRx.. oh well.. again.. no biggie..

I've got to get some more flying on my 120SR though... and now I've got a new problem, in that there's a freakin gopher(S)I've caught 2 so far) in my flying field.. and I've got mounds. So I've got to go gopher hunting now.. to get my smooth flying area back.. I think I have them cornered though.. haha... always something huh..

Thanks again everyone.. have a nice holiday weekend. I'm either building, flying, or gopher hunting..
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:04 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
@DGrant : if you do end up trying out the msrx come join us over in the official thread! (link below)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525228
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
@DGrant : if you do end up trying out the msrx come join us over in the official thread! (link below)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525228
Well thank you kindly Robo.. I'll do just that. I might even have a line on a gently used, tested and true msrx already... and the gopher traps are all set, and I have my "flying field" back to decently level... its a great day.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Too windy to fly the 120 this morning and it was cold out there as wel 38 degrees in swfl brrrrr so I flew the msr 3 packs and on the fourth pack the wall drew me to it and I broke a paddle the second one over several weeks and neglected to order a couple of spares so now will have to wait on the ones I just ordered ..some fun, Happy flying
venicebill is offline Find More Posts by venicebill
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Yeah I thought it was a binding issue too. But I've tried all of that several times. The servos all work fully, just no power to either rotor.
Case72 is offline Find More Posts by Case72
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:55 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Case72 View Post
Yeah I thought it was a binding issue too. But I've tried all of that several times. The servos all work fully, just no power to either rotor.
Check that your throttle trim is all the way down, and if its a computer radio, try resetting the model memory.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:55 PM
J.C.
United States, IN, Goshen
Joined Feb 2013
52 Posts
Hi guys, I'm obviously new here and I'm still pretty much a rookie. I have put well over 350 flights on my little MCX2 and finally got bored with it and decided to move up.

I got my 120 sr last month from Hobby Zone, and right from the get go it had two major problems (the 5 in 1, and the motor), but HZ was quick to send me replacement parts and now I just love this little heli to death.

I can hover this thing on a dime and fly it through doorways in the house with no trouble at all. My only issue is that as the battery runs down, I have to gradually start trimming all the axis to compensate for the lower battery power. Then when I take off on a fresh LiPo, the heli wants to surge off in one direction and I get close to a crash Should I set my trims back to neutral before I power the heli up for the next flight, or should I power up both, and then zero up the trims?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
JChoosier is offline Find More Posts by JChoosier
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:02 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
Yes. Either way. If you use the same type batteries and rotate them, you will be able to predict where your trims need to be. Another thing, if you use a heat sink on your motor, it'll eliminate some of the trim as it keeps the extreme heat down.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,755 Posts
The only trim you should need to adjust on this bird during a flight is rudder because it's action is controlled via the speed of the tail motor... and its trim will vary slightly as the battery gets used up (even though it has a gyro). Your AIL and ELE shouldn't drift... they are mechanical and fixed (until you adjust them) and are independent of battery strength.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:14 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,764 Posts
+1 what North_of_49 said....

The "surge off in one direction" thing is normal on pretty much all single rotor helis. That 'one direction" will be left, and its due to the tail motor pushing the heli left while it sits flat on the ground. Once in the air the heli can tip a little to the right, and it should hover fine. Instead of adding trim, just give a little right aileron as you take off......
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 PM
J.C.
United States, IN, Goshen
Joined Feb 2013
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
The only trim you should need to adjust on this bird during a flight is rudder because it's action is controlled via the speed of the tail motor... and its trim will vary slightly as the battery gets used up (even though it has a gyro). Your AIL and ELE shouldn't drift... they are mechanical and fixed (until you adjust them) and are independent of battery strength.
Hopefully I'm doing this right. Thank you sir (and others) for the speedy reply. I have been under the impression that the only heli's that didn't need trimming were the ones that had a 3 or 6 axis gyro, like the AS3X, Beast x, etc. I understand what you said, but then why do FBL helis explicitly say not to use any trim? I'm just using the MCPX as an example, but it implies that a FB heli needs trimming? I'm kinda lost.
JChoosier is offline Find More Posts by JChoosier