Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
PIc.WS
That is so cool! But, it won't fit on my dashboard in that case!
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
That is so cool! But, it won't fit on my dashboard in that case!
Maybe we can come up with a dashboard mod, "WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY" and you are one of the best! WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Random question. Has anybody used one of those great Harbor Freight suitcases with the pull-and-pluck foam inserts to make a carrying box for their 120SR? I was thinking about doing that with mine since I prefer carrying those suitcases to the field rather than the heli's own box.

Seems to me that you'd have to mount it sideways and then carefully support the flybar so it wouldn't be bent. I'm going to be finding a solution to this soon as spring is coming!
Yea, Ive done it with a few models, though the 120sr is a bit big... I keep my 120sr in a case I got with a t-rex450 kit. I only put foam in the lit, and just had to cut some out for the skids.... the flybar has plenty of room, i wouldn't try to support it, just make sure it has enough room that it doesn't get squished....

For my micros, it works a lot better, The harbor freight one and also one wal-mart and k-mart sell for about $12.

For now I have modified this one for my nano by cutting he foam a bit more and putting it where the charger is, but I plan to get a little bigger one from cheaperthandirt.com that will fit the TX, heli, 4 port charger, and some spare parts.... its 20x12x4, so might be just the ticket for a 120sr too....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:27 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
The best case I've been able to find here in Oz was from Bunnings...called a safety case...not aluminium..hard poly with the foam inserts....no room for the transmitter tho...the priority was getting the heli's off the mantelpiece..lol. It cost $35....but was still cheaper than getting stuff sent over here...couldn't find a decent one from Banggood.
Dman1110 is offline Find More Posts by Dman1110
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:29 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
This is way off topic - it belongs in the ornithopter thread - but I thought you might enjoy seeing the picture I took this morning from my den window. Believe it or not, the hawk actually seemed more worried about the squirrel than the other way round!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Last edited by 1Pilgrim; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,267 Posts
Nice pic Pilgrim..

I'm having withdrawals.. I need to fly!.. its just been way to breezy at my flying field(backyard)... for my 120SR.. Maybe theres a mSR in my future... or a mCPx.. I have a sunken living room I could be flying in.. I'm so bored with the coax things.. those just arent enough...

Which one can anyone recomend?.. I probably want something a tad more advanced then the SR120 for indoor... definately NOT coax like though
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:51 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
This is way off topic - it belongs in the ornithopter thread - but I thought you might enjoy seeing the picture I took this morning from my den window. Believe it or not, the hawk actually seemed more worried about the squirrel than the other way round!
Very Nice Pic. We have Hawks that hang out and tons of squirrels but now that I think about it the Hawks dont mess with the squirrels however they will give a cotton tail rabbit hell.WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post

You see, the whole purpose of the tail rotor is counter rotation. The main rotor asserts a rotational force on the body. The tail motor works to compensate and stabilize. It knows how hard to work by reading the signals and controls from the head holding gyro. But when you hold the helicopter down, the heading is not changing, and the gyro is saying, "I'm still, no need for anti-rotation". That's why everything is skewed once the helicopter is held down. You won't get a true reading or response from the tail this way.
Back in the old days when setting up a gyro in a heli was more involved, one trick to check the tail setup is to get a small Lazy Susan and attach the helicopter to it. This will allow the heli to turn (or not) under control of the tail rotor. Because the heli is not really flying the loads are not exactly the same, but it will help you get close. With the 120SR you'll need to get a fairly small and light Lazy Susan to limit the mass effect of the Lazy Susan on the helicopter response.
ssobol is offline Find More Posts by ssobol
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:24 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,878 Posts
Thanks for the case pix, guys! I'm going to get another one and prep it for the 120. Oh...when will it warm up....
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:57 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Nice pic Pilgrim..

I'm having withdrawals.. I need to fly!.. its just been way to breezy at my flying field(backyard)... for my 120SR.. Maybe theres a mSR in my future... or a mCPx.. I have a sunken living room I could be flying in.. I'm so bored with the coax things.. those just arent enough...

Which one can anyone recomend?.. I probably want something a tad more advanced then the SR120 for indoor... definately NOT coax like though
mSR will not do better than a 120SR outdoors... it's the same bird only smaller so less mass... breeze blows it around more than the 120.

... or do you mean something for indoors?
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:56 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Nice pic Pilgrim..

Get the new Nano.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Nice pic Pilgrim..

The Nano is quite a step up. I'd actually recommend looking at MSRX as a more advanced indoor flier than the 120SR. I've got two of them and they have the most flights on them than any of my other helis so if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you. (And if you have concerns about negative information you've heard, I'm more than happy to help you sort the truth from the misinformation. )
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
The Nano is quite a step up. I'd actually recommend looking at MSRX as a more advanced indoor flier than the 120SR. I've got two of them and they have the most flights on them than any of my other helis so if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you. (And if you have concerns about negative information you've heard, I'm more than happy to help you sort the truth from the misinformation. )
He said he wants a step up. MSRX is as you say, not too difficult.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:08 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,192 Posts
Quote:
The nano (with the bullet blades) doesn't really fly much different than an MSRx. the biggest difference between the two is one is FP and the other is CP. The nano will be much more responsive on the throttle with the recommended settings, but that's easy to tame down playing with the throttle pitch curves, but other than that, flight characteristics are pretty close.

Or instead of playing with throttle/pitch curves to tame it down, you can put MSRx blades on it, and use a fixed pitch curve.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:29 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The nano (with the bullet blades) doesn't really fly much different than an MSRx. the biggest difference between the two is one is FP and the other is CP. The nano will be much more responsive on the throttle with the recommended settings, but that's easy to tame down playing with the throttle pitch curves, but other than that, flight characteristics are pretty close.

Or instead of playing with throttle/pitch curves to tame it down, you can put MSRx blades on it, and use a fixed pitch curve.....
There you go... That's what I was talking about. Didn't occur to me that you could turn it into an FP, though.