SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:05 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
I just got my new Spektrum DX6i and am setting it up for my Blade 120 SR. I thought I saw a setup list on here for this radio/helo combinatoin but can;t find it. Anyone have some starting setups for this combination? I am particularly stuck on the swashplate settings right now.
so far have gotten three flights in and it feels like a different helo with this radio. Far more stable but I need to liven it up a tick as the servo throw seems a bit low. I want to step cautiously here to find the right setup.
Check your DR/Expo, set DR to 100% Expo at 0. On the DX6i - on the Expo is more not less like one would think. To get more control faster off center stick set Expo to -10 or -20. Hopes this helps. WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:06 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,290 Posts
You probably won't find those throws lacking if you put your links on the outer swash balls
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:12 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
You probably won't find those throws lacking if you put your links on the outer swash balls
+ one, but be sure to check for binding at all areas if you move the links "anti-rotation bracket". WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:55 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
I just got my new Spektrum DX6i and am setting it up for my Blade 120 SR. I thought I saw a setup list on here for this radio/helo combinatoin but can;t find it. Anyone have some starting setups for this combination? I am particularly stuck on the swashplate settings right now.
so far have gotten three flights in and it feels like a different helo with this radio. Far more stable but I need to liven it up a tick as the servo throw seems a bit low. I want to step cautiously here to find the right setup.
SSSSSHHHH...I stole these setting from a member on this thread. Can't say

120SR DX6i Settings (basic)

D/R Expo
AILE 0 100% +20
ELEV 0 100% +20
RUDD 0 100% +20
Now flip all ypur switches to the "1" position...
AIEL 1 100% +15
ELEV 1 100% +15
RUDD 1 100% +15

TRAVEL ADJUST...all 100%

SUB TRIM ...all 0

RATE SW-GYRO
0:<100.0%
1: 0.0%

THROTTLE CURVE
NORM POS L 0.0%
POS 2 43.0%
POS 3 51.5%
POS 4 80.0%
POS H 100.0%
STUNT POS L 0.0%
POS 2 40.0%
POS 3 60.0%
POS 4 80.0%
POS H 100.0%

HOLD - 0.0%

PITCH CURVE ...not used its a FP heli!

SWASH MIX INH

MIX 1 INH

MIX 2 INH

REVO MIX all 0%

SET UP LIST:
MODEL TYPE HELI

REVERSE all N

SWASH TYPE 1 servo 90*

THRO CUT position INH

D/R COMBI D/R switch: INH
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:04 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
SSSSSHHHH...I stole these setting from a member on this thread. Can't say
I hope that you are not planning to sell these settings. You should check the copyright first.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
I hope that you are not planning to sell these settings. You should check the copyright first.
OK, you got me. I stole these from "Black Anthem" where he has them posted. Only Moi knows where they are at
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:17 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Speaking of copyright, if anyone does this, give me credit because I think it's a good idea. I was talking to an SH-60 Seahawk pilot a couple weeks ago and asked him what the "elevator" truly does for the helicopter. (Warning: This is a long story.)

He started by correcting me and calling it a vertical stabilizer (duhhh... I couldn't believe I made that mistake.) He went on to say that it helps to maintain the level flight and hovering. Even though I have been inside them, I didn't know if speed dictated the level of the stab, i.e., you always see it in "down" position when they are hovering or slow take off. At least, that's where I always get to see them.

Something he said to that has had me thinking ever since. He told me that the vertical stabilizer is there to "free up" some of the maneuvering for other more complicated movement. Relating to my models for the whole conversation, I thought about the "ballooning" problem we have with the FP heli. In other words, when we get too much fast forward flight (fff), we always shoot upward. If you use a fixed stabilizer, it helps a bit until you fly into the breeze where it can tend to work against you (I assume--haven't proven it). I say this because all the stabs on bigger helis (except scale fuses) are cut out. Meaning, they don't use the surface control as much as have it there for crash protection.

Here's where I'm going, what if you were to use a 5 channel (of which we don't get on the brick for the SR 120) to control a vertical stabilizer with a heading lock gyro combined? Doesn't it sound like this would be the cat's meow, or what? If you had that surface to aid the vertical, you could fly this thing straight as an arrow combined with the gyro axis already being controlled. Anybody know if this has been tried? If not, it is now officially the "Saxilizer" 5th channel concept.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:21 AM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Thanks! this is waht I was looking for! the other advice earlier got me closer to where i want it but I think this will be a good starting point for me, then practice - tweak - practice - tweak Go 3D! OK, maybe not that fast but eventually.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:42 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
No problemo thintz..

Hey Saxwouldn't that be a three axis gyro system?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:
No problemo thintz..

Hey Saxwouldn't that be a three axis gyro system?
That's what I thought at first, but no. The vertical control comes from the thro input, blade speed only. What we would have is an fp that would not control altitude with speed control, but with a moving stabilizer.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
To my knowledge there is no "DX8i" unless you mean the DX8 OR the DX18. Check out the link I just posted.

Welcome to RCG

Mike.
My bad... it was a typo...yes it is DX8
speedchase is offline Find More Posts by speedchase
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:02 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Joined Mar 2008
11,664 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought at first, but no. The vertical control comes from the thro input, blade speed only. What we would have is an fp that would not control altitude with speed control, but with a moving stabilizer.
OK Dude, now I'm completely lost. I think you may have a shot at that "Saxilizer" after all

Mike.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:38 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of copyright, if anyone does this, give me credit because I think it's a good idea. I was talking to an SH-60 Seahawk pilot a couple weeks ago and asked him what the "elevator" truly does for the helicopter. (Warning: This is a long story.)

He started by correcting me and calling it a vertical stabilizer (duhhh... I couldn't believe I made that mistake.) He went on to say that it helps to maintain the level flight and hovering. Even though I have been inside them, I didn't know if speed dictated the level of the stab, i.e., you always see it in "down" position when they are hovering or slow take off. At least, that's where I always get to see them.

Something he said to that has had me thinking ever since. He told me that the vertical stabilizer is there to "free up" some of the maneuvering for other more complicated movement. Relating to my models for the whole conversation, I thought about the "ballooning" problem we have with the FP heli. In other words, when we get too much fast forward flight (fff), we always shoot upward. If you use a fixed stabilizer, it helps a bit until you fly into the breeze where it can tend to work against you (I assume--haven't proven it). I say this because all the stabs on bigger helis (except scale fuses) are cut out. Meaning, they don't use the surface control as much as have it there for crash protection.

Here's where I'm going, what if you were to use a 5 channel (of which we don't get on the brick for the SR 120) to control a vertical stabilizer with a heading lock gyro combined? Doesn't it sound like this would be the cat's meow, or what? If you had that surface to aid the vertical, you could fly this thing straight as an arrow combined with the gyro axis already being controlled. Anybody know if this has been tried? If not, it is now officially the "Saxilizer" 5th channel concept.
sounds cool.... I wonder, what if one got a little 6 channel RX, and a servo, all said with a fin setup i bet it would stay under 15 grams, which should be easy for the heli to carry... wouldn't be a gyro, but would be something... you could maybe mix it with elevator and put it on a switch, so the mix is only active when you want.... since they are both DSM2, you should be able to bind both to the tx and control at the same time...

as for gyro, I wonder what the lightest hh gyro you can get is.... i bet its pretty small....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:35 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
Hi, a little late to the game here, but I wanted to toss in my $0.02 on a few recent discussion topics.

I've got a DX6i and like it as a good basic programmable TX. But just like Heli Pad, I also have a Turnigy 9x with a hacked-in DSM2 module from a donor MLP4DSM. I'm running er9x firmware and use this transmitter to fly all of my helis (save for my Nine Eagles, Esky and Walkera tandems...lol!) Of course, with the Orange DSM module available you don't have to do any soldering to get the same capabilities that I'm enjoying now.

Also, regarding the CX2 vs the CX3, apparently the CX3 was a complete dud. They tried to do a bunch of improvements but according to the guy at one of my local hobby shops, the final product just had tons of glitches and issues. Nobody wanted it and that's why the CX2 is still for sale but the CX3 is not. Apparently they also changed the mainframe so swapping the CX3 fuselage onto the CX2 isn't an easy thing either...

Finally, I got the MicroHeli CNC swash for my 120SR and will be trying that out sometime soon. I want to see how the longer swash balls affect the cyclic authority on this heli. If it's anything like how the MicroHeli CNC SE swash for the MSR worked out, I'll be a happy camper.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:47 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Hi, ...

Also, regarding the CX2 vs the CX3, apparently the CX3 was a complete dud. They tried to do a bunch of improvements but according to the guy at one of my local hobby shops, the final product just had tons of glitches and issues. Nobody wanted it and that's why the CX2 is still for sale but the CX3 is not. Apparently they also changed the mainframe so swapping the CX3 fuselage onto the CX2 isn't an easy thing either...
No truer statement was made than "the final product just had tons of glitches and issues." I have never bought a new heli in all these years. To save money, I buy used ones, fix them, and fly them. Because of the CX3, I have only an 80% success rate at this philosophy. That stupid heli cost me so much money that I actually got angry and this is my "happy" hobby!!!! I set it down for 2 years and tried to go back to it to see if my growth in knowledge could change its performance. Let you know if there is any success in a couple days.

Quote:
Finally, I got the MicroHeli CNC swash for my 120SR and will be trying that out sometime soon. I want to see how the longer swash balls affect the cyclic authority on this heli. If it's anything like how the MicroHeli CNC SE swash for the MSR worked out, I'll be a happy camper.
I use the MicroHeli. Just set your new DX6i to use 80% dual rates on ailerons at first. You can move up to 100% pretty quickly and really enjoy flying into breezes.