Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Thanks, but I think that may be a little past my hobby enjoyment level.
Fair enough. Maybe it will help another 120 user looking for radio options. Spectrum, while nice products, isn't the only game in town for BNF models.
bbrackeen is offline Find More Posts by bbrackeen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:53 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
I really do like the price tag. If only there were an instructional video to do the mod? Is there one? Made for 5th graders?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:08 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrackeen View Post
Fair enough. Maybe it will help another 120 user looking for radio options. Spectrum, while nice products, isn't the only game in town for BNF models.
Sure, but spektrum IS the only game in town for modelmatch.... Speaking from experience its anything from a minor annoyance to serious suckage when you take off with the wrong model memory selected... Yea a pre-flight check helps, but that's only useful if the servo reversing is different between the model you are flying and the one selected in memory....

I used to do it all the time in my 72Mhz days, luckily it only ever caused one crash, but some near misses..., but haven't done it even once in the last 5+ years since I got my DX7....

my thoughts are, in 2-3 years someone who buys a spektrum radio isn't even going to have a shadow of a memory of the money the radio cost, but a turnigy user will have to live with no MFG support, difficult programing and the real possibility of sub par components failing for as long as they own it... You makes your choice and you pays your money, then you live with it....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Sure, but spektrum IS the only game in town for modelmatch.... Speaking from experience its anything from a minor annoyance to serious suckage when you take off with the wrong model memory selected... Yea a pre-flight check helps, but that's only useful if the servo reversing is different between the model you are flying and the one selected in memory....

I used to do it all the time in my 72Mhz days, luckily it only ever caused one crash, but some near misses..., but haven't done it even once in the last 5+ years since I got my DX7....

my thoughts are, in 2-3 years someone who buys a spektrum radio isn't even going to have a shadow of a memory of the money the radio cost, but a turnigy user will have to live with no MFG support, difficult programing and the real possibility of sub par components failing for as long as they own it... You makes your choice and you pays your money, then you live with it....
I'm seeing the Turnigy as a good back up for my DX8. I think it's worth the "buy n forget" deal, to not expect service.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:33 AM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Well. I just bought a Blade 120 SR RTF a couple days ago and have been thrashing it for a few days (kin the garage, BIG wind outside) and so far I love it. After the second flight I threw my Walkeria (sp) in the trash as I just refuse to buy another battery or motor to keep the dam thing running. Plus, the Blade and all of the parts are on the shelf like 10 miles from me or overnight buy USPS for $4.95 regardless of how much I want. the parts are considerabgly cheaper than what I was buying for the Walkeria.
The one thing I might like to do is get a better transmitter if that could be used with this Blade and maybe another one or two helos in the future. I am from the old days where each radio came with the receiver and servos so am not totally sure how this bind and fly stuff works but it sound like you can use a better transmitter if it also is one the 2.4 GH as the helo. Any suggestions for a radio that could be used with the Blade 120 SR?
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:46 AM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
Well. I just bought a Blade 120 SR RTF a couple days ago and have been thrashing it for a few days (kin the garage, BIG wind outside) and so far I love it. After the second flight I threw my Walkeria (sp) in the trash as I just refuse to buy another battery or motor to keep the dam thing running. Plus, the Blade and all of the parts are on the shelf like 10 miles from me or overnight buy USPS for $4.95 regardless of how much I want. the parts are considerabgly cheaper than what I was buying for the Walkeria.
The one thing I might like to do is get a better transmitter if that could be used with this Blade and maybe another one or two helos in the future. I am from the old days where each radio came with the receiver and servos so am not totally sure how this bind and fly stuff works but it sound like you can use a better transmitter if it also is one the 2.4 GH as the helo. Any suggestions for a radio that could be used with the Blade 120 SR?
Spektrum DX6i. Welcome. WS
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
Oh, lordy! If you read back, you will see plenty of "discussions" on what we all have or want in radios! Saying that, if you are going to make the purchase, get a Spektrum DX6i or higher. If you have the bucks, 7-channel or 8-channel will get you down the road for a long time. Resale value is good on all of these.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Oh, lordy! If you read back, you will see plenty of "discussions" on what we all have or want in radios! Saying that, if you are going to make the purchase, get a Spektrum DX6i or higher. If you have the bucks, 7-channel or 8-channel will get you down the road for a long time. Resale value is good on all of these.
I got a similar advice from a friend and ended up buying a DX8i. Still waiting to lay my hands on it along with the Phoenix Sim.
speedchase is offline Find More Posts by speedchase
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Thanks! The Spektrum DX6i was one that had caught my eye in the looking I had done so far.
I guess what is "different" for me is that you can buy a transmitter and make it work with different helos and stuff. this is very foreign ffrom what I used long ago when I flew fixed wing.
Anyway, now to look for a Spektrum DX6i and read up on it.
Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,110 Posts
The DX6i has what is known as "model match" as mentioned a page back or so.
This will give you a good idea "what" models will match with any given (Spekrum) TX.
http://www.bindnfly.com/

Welcom to RCG,
Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedchase View Post
I got a similar advice from a friend and ended up buying a DX8i. Still waiting to lay my hands on it along with the Phoenix Sim.
To my knowledge there is no "DX8i" unless you mean the DX8 OR the DX18. Check out the link I just posted.

Welcome to RCG

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:32 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
Thanks! The Spektrum DX6i was one that had caught my eye in the looking I had done so far.
I guess what is "different" for me is that you can buy a transmitter and make it work with different helos and stuff. this is very foreign ffrom what I used long ago when I flew fixed wing.
Anyway, now to look for a Spektrum DX6i and read up on it.
Thanks!
Hi There, and welcome to the forum!

I have a DX6i, and I am currently looking to get a 7 or 8.
It sounds like you may have a little age on you by the "long ago" comment you made.

I just wanted to mention that there is one feature I will never go without when considering a new radio, and that is a backlighted screen. It makes the screen so much easier to see for us "old farts".

The DX6i does not have it, it has to be added with an aftermarket kit. If you don't want to fool around with opening up your radio and working on it, I would get a TX with backlight from the factory.

Even if you do install the backlight kit in a new DX6i, if Horizon Hobby finds out about it, it will void your warranty.

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Kykle,

Good point, and good excuse to step up the radio.....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:16 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
I bought a DX7 a couple years ago and it has a 20 model memory. A DX6i has 10 model memory. If I would have bought a DX6i I would have maxed it out by now as I have 12 models stored in it currently. I am more of a plane guy but have several helis loaded up in my DX7. Great TX & I plan to have it many years from now too.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:23 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,330 Posts
I agree. The stock RTF Tx, M4LPDSM, left a lot to be desired. But why am I always against the flow of traffic? I thought the Spektrums are really over-priced, so I found that other solutions are better! Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the DX6i, 7 or 8 are bad radios. They are good radios, but very expensive. And they are exclusive to DSM2/X - nothing else.

Walkera sure is not perfect. But they are also innovative. IMHO, some of their models best Blade's. And their radios, I think, are nicer than the Spektrums. I am interested in a getting a Devo 8s or a Devo 7e, flashing it with DeviationX firmware, and perhaps add a Flysky module to fly everything on the planet. I don't think even the $1200 DX18 could come close to doing that. Am I alone in this?

So, what Walkera model/Tx did you toss into the trash?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad