HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:56 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Sadly, no. I suppose I'll negate the warranty if I replace my own switch, but heck, it's 2 years old now. How much more voiding is there to do? LOL
Sorry to hear that Sax, makes a person's heart drop right to the bottom of the stomach, doesn't it?

You just added another "anti-Spektrum" story to my growing list of them. This business of not selling us the parts we need is really rubbing me the wrong way, and it is totally unacceptable.

Spektrum is not ranking very high with me right now, I am leaning more and more away from them all the time.
BattleDude is online now Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:38 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Sorry to hear that Sax, makes a person's heart drop right to the bottom of the stomach, doesn't it?

You just added another "anti-Spektrum" story to my growing list of them. This business of not selling us the parts we need is really rubbing me the wrong way, and it is totally unacceptable.

Spektrum is not ranking very high with me right now, I am leaning more and more away from them all the time.
Thanks. If it helps you any (), I'm buying a Futaba switch to put in it. Doggone it!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:27 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. If it helps you any (), I'm buying a Futaba switch to put in it. Doggone it!
LOL Sax! Maybe you should just buy the Futaba instead!

Parts availablity is going to be the clincher for me, when choosing a new radio.
I am going to start researching parts availability for the various makes/models.

My DX6i may very well be retired to the sim.

This nonsense of not selling me the parts I want is not going to fly!
No pun intended!

Horizon Hobby is just trying to get in our pockets with this "send it in for repair" policy.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:43 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Quote:
LOL Sax! Maybe you should just buy the Futaba instead!

Parts availablity is going to be the clincher for me, when choosing a new radio.
I am going to start researching parts availability for the various makes/models.

My DX6i may very well be retired to the sim.

This nonsense of not selling me the parts I want is not going to fly!
No pun intended!

Horizon Hobby is just trying to get in our pockets with this "send it in for repair" policy.
It all comes down to how much you can afford. The DX8 has a lot of good features for its price. If you can afford a step up, then I recommend that you get one that will last. Being still rather new to R/C (3 years), I don't have a good idea what is better. But, I did know what I could afford, and the DX8 fell right into what I wanted 2 years ago.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
It all comes down to how much you can afford. The DX8 has a lot of good features for its price. If you can afford a step up, then I recommend that you get one that will last. Being still rather new to R/C (3 years), I don't have a good idea what is better. But, I did know what I could afford, and the DX8 fell right into what I wanted 2 years ago.
I hear ya. You have been in RC about as long as I have, and I did the same thing, had I known that I would want to stay in the hobby, it being so much enjoyment, I would have selected a highter end radio to start with.

I have talked to several people today about radio's, one fella that was extremely knowledgable that worked for Hitec. He said none of the radio manufacturers are going to offer a full line of parts for any of their radio's, cause the average person is not going to have the ability to do in depth repairs themselves.

So, I don't have much choice but to stick with Spektrum. I would run into additional expense, having to swap out the RX's on all my aircraft, if I bought anything but a JR or Spektrum. So basically I am down to a Dx7 or 8.

He did say that 7's and 8's use higher quality parts, generally speaking and are more durable than the 6.

I think you (or someone) mentioned "income tax return", and that is what I am waiting for, then I will make a choice, DX7 or 8.

Thanks for your comments and sharing your experience with Spektrum.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:10 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Quote:
I think you (or someone) mentioned "income tax return", and that is what I am waiting for, then I will make a choice, DX7 or 8.

Yes--it was me--that's the American annual gift: the tax return. Take their money, then give some back so that they think they are doing good.

Overall, I have been absolutely satisfied with the DX8. It's taken my abuse and only cost me a bit to repair. I should wrap the thing in rubber like my son's iPhone!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,354 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya. You have been in RC about as long as I have, and I did the same thing, had I known that I would want to stay in the hobby, it being so much enjoyment, I would have selected a highter end radio to start with.

I have talked to several people today about radio's, one fella that was extremely knowledgable that worked for Hitec. He said none of the radio manufacturers are going to offer a full line of parts for any of their radio's, cause the average person is not going to have the ability to do in depth repairs themselves.

So, I don't have much choice but to stick with Spektrum. I would run into additional expense, having to swap out the RX's on all my aircraft, if I bought anything but a JR or Spektrum. So basically I am down to a Dx7 or 8.

He did say that 7's and 8's use higher quality parts, generally speaking and are more durable than the 6.

If you think you may get a 450 bird or bigger I would get the DX8 for sure. My DX6i is maxed out with my 450. Ther are some great FBL controlers out with bailout and self level, or switching for lights or whatever, you would need more channels. I think the 8 is $100 more than the 7 but the 8 has some very nice features. Just something to think about before you buy. WS
Wind Spirit is online now Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
Quote:

You aren't going to get futaba or airtronics to send you a switch either.... If they send you the switch, and you screw something up putting it it, it could be argued that they are at least partly at fault.

On the other hand, they are just switches, pick one up at radio shack, save the broken one, then if you ever need to use the warranty, put it back in.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
You aren't going to get futaba or airtronics to send you a switch either.... If they send you the switch, and you screw something up putting it it, it could be argued that they are at least partly at fault.

On the other hand, they are just switches, pick one up at radio shack, save the broken one, then if you ever need to use the warranty, put it back in.....
. Good idea!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Yes--it was me--that's the American annual gift: the tax return. Take their money, then give some back so that they think they are doing good.

Overall, I have been absolutely satisfied with the DX8. It's taken my abuse and only cost me a bit to repair. I should wrap the thing in rubber like my son's iPhone!
I am going to wait for my tax return, then if it is not enough, I will save until I have enough for a DX8. Man that's alot of money for a radio, but I am staying in this hobby untill I am no longer able, it is too much enjoyment to give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
If you think you may get a 450 bird or bigger I would get the DX8 for sure. My DX6i is maxed out with my 450. Ther are some great FBL controlers out with bailout and self level, or switching for lights or whatever, you would need more channels. I think the 8 is $100 more than the 7 but the 8 has some very nice features. Just something to think about before you buy. WS
I don't think I will ever (and I say "think" as things do change from time to time) own a larger heli again ( I had B450's for a while) as the orientation of the heli, is much harder for these old eyes to keep track of. I simply can not see which way the bird is pointing once it gets a certain distance from me. Airplanes are much easier for me to keep track of which way they are pointing/flying. I even have trouble with the 120SR, and seeing it out there. But that doesn't stop me from wanting a DX8 ! I wouldn't mind a smaller CP like a Nano or such, to fly closer to me, indoors in a shop. Thanks for the advice WS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post

I am picking up on the fact that full line parts availabilty for any radio, just isn't going to happen, and that has been my biggest complaint. So if nothing can be done about that, then I will stick with Spektrum cause it is what I am familiar with, and to be honest I do like the user interface, I think it is very easy to navigate the menu's.

Yeah the toggles wouldn't be too much trouble, but my DX6i's roller switch (the one on the menu PCB, under the top end of the roller) has gone bad. It still works, but has no up spring pressure, so it does not return the roller to it's up position. The roller just slops around in it's mounting hole. Would take some looking for a switch and some tiny tiny soldering, which I have never done, and do not have the small soldering equipment to perform.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
If you are not opposed to a little DIY, I would highly recommend the Turnigy 9x running Open9x firmware. The things open9x can do are really stunning. Plus you can get the spektrum DSM module and fly all Blade BNF models along side all the WLToys (v911, v939, etc) all from the same radio by simply swapping TX modules.

It does take a little tinkering and research, but well worth the time, and all for under $100 with the DSM module for a radio that can do what most can't at 4x the cost.

I use it for my 120 SR, and love it.
bbrackeen is offline Find More Posts by bbrackeen
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:18 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrackeen View Post
If you are not opposed to a little DIY, I would highly recommend the Turnigy 9x running Open9x firmware. The things open9x can do are really stunning. Plus you can get the spektrum DSM module and fly all Blade BNF models along side all the WLToys (v911, v939, etc) all from the same radio by simply swapping TX modules.

It does take a little tinkering and research, but well worth the time, and all for under $100 with the DSM module for a radio that can do what most can't at 4x the cost.

I use it for my 120 SR, and love it.
I get it about the Turnigy 9x, but what is the Open9x firmware? Can you post a link? Is the the v2 9x?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Open9x is a flavor of the firmware for the Turnigy 9x radio (Check out 9xforums.com or google Open9x). The V2 they have listed is the stock firmware, and is unable to be used for Blade models because some channels are not mapped correctly (thus your need to flash it). Think of the 9x as a platform for other radio operating systems.

Essentially without going into too much detail you will need;

Turnigy 9x (not 9xr)
Smartyparts board (for flashing the firmware, there are cheaper ways if you want to solder onto the 9x board)
OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 tx module

Then you can use Companion9x (Open9x helper software) to configure and flash your 9x with the open source firmware.

All in all it takes less than half an hour and you have transformed a cheap 9x into something you can control just about anything with. The mixer and DR/expo flight modes are worth it alone. With Open9x any knob, switch, or stick on the device can be configured to do anything you can think up, even modify config values like servo rates and or expo values during flight time based on timer values automatically. Imagination is the limit.
bbrackeen is offline Find More Posts by bbrackeen
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,790 Posts
Thanks, but I think that may be a little past my hobby enjoyment level.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:04 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Thanks to my buddy, Daryoon, my Turnigy 9x is running er9x firmware. The full range DSM2 module is the main module inside the radio, using the main antenna. The Flysky module is the plug in module, using a 2ndary antenna. Using a single radio, I fly by Blade fleet, and a whole bunch of other models, from FP to CP and quads.

Getting a T9x and the mod seems daunting. But it the single best investment I have in this hobby. Looking into the distant future, as far as my toy budget is concerned, I could see a Devo in it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad